This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comments

• To be a better person. He seems to think of most forumites that disagree with him are the lowest of low, so why not prove that he's better than these dopes? I mean, that's what I would do. He proclaims we're stupid and dumb, so why sink to "our level?" Because that's what we expect? Whatever. If that is the real justification, I'm even less phased by what he does or says. I was only "concerned" because I remembered him quite differently.
    Because he's not wasting the effort. He can tell you in a long, more polite form - but nobody listens to him anyway. There's no compelling reason to spend the effort.

You might note - I'm nice to nine. He's my mate, I treat him well, Listen to what he has to say, and while we argue from time to time, but he never treats me like I'm stupid - though, admittedly, if I'm BEING stupid, he'll call me on it, which is a whore of a different colour. Still - He doesn't treat me as if I'm stupid, and while he's blunt sometimes, I understand what he's getting at, and shrug off the occasional insult.

It's a two way street, really - Being nice to be above everyone else's level is a nice thought and all, but it's rarely something we actually practice. We're dicks to people who are dicks to us, and we're nice to people who are nice to us. It's just how people are. And Nothing is instant. Maybe, were we as a community to actually start listening to Nine more, and treat him with something more than casual disdain, he'd be a little less dickish to most of us.
  • I've generally thought I was on pretty good terms with Nine.

In any case, Churba has a point.
  • Right. Fine. Can you ask him nicely stop spamming?
  • Anyone who thinks Nine is annoying has obviously never been to YOSPOS on Something Awful. Nine wouldn't even stand out from the crowd there.
    edited October 2010
    ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
    Post edited by ... on
  • He can tell you in a long, more polite form - but nobody listens to him anyway.
    I like his opinions on anime.
  • edited October 2010
    Did they ever admit that they created Jen?
    They didn't, though. We were at the Jersey shore when we all finally got on the internet for the first time in a week, and it was all pyramids, rocket launchers, and Jen, Oh my! Whoever made her up, it wasn't the masters of this forum.

On the subject of Nine, there have been times where he made me so mad or sad that I would have banned him on the spot if I would have let my temper get the better of me. However, I would remember his non-churlish remarks and understand that while I might have the power of the moderator, I will tolerate people if they are intelligent and not let folks on the internet wind me up. Although he protested when I accused him of being a 4-chan troll, he really does encapsulate the puckish nature of that type of internet community. If you get mad at its random offensiveness, then you lose. If you ignore it except for the good parts and remain calm in its presence, you win. Only if he refuses to add meaningful content in the midst of his trolling should we consider bunging him from the forum.

edit: In short, please stop spamming, Nine.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited October 2010
    On the subject of Nine, there have been times where he made me so mad or sad that I would have banned him on the spot if I would have let my temper get the better of me.
    I do also recall, in his defense, that at one point where he did make you both extremely angry and sad, that when he realised that he'd upset you quite seriously that he apologised extremely sincerely, and showed true regret that he'd upset you as such.
    In fact, I recall it coming up again a while ago outside of the forums, and unprompted, he showed genuine regret for upsetting you, even though the insult was long past.

I know as well as anyone that he goes a little too far on occasion, however, were we to consider bans every time one of us went a little too far, then the crowd of forum regulars would be a whole hell of a lot thinner. I think that he recognises and often apologises when he genuinely goes too far(even if a punishment isn't on the cards) is a testament to that he's not just some troll, but is actually a member of the community like the rest of us, in his own way.

edit: In short, please stop spamming, Nine.
    I find it hard to call it spamming, since there is actual content to the posts, just hidden by span tags, and is easily revealed by quoting the post in question, however, most people seem to have not twigged to this. However, that's just my opinion, and has no bearing on reality or really anything else.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • That's the thing. I realized that. I can't hate Nine.
  • edited October 2010
    That's the thing. I realized that. I can't hate Nine.
    I know you realised it, Because you're the sweetest, kindest, and nicest person I've ever heard of. Well, that, and you've said it before. I'm just stating it for all to see, for the sake of making sure that everybody's picking up what I'm laying down, here.
    Post edited by Churba on
    edited October 2010
    ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
    Post edited by ... on
  • I find it hard to call it spamming, since there is actual content to the posts, just hidden by span tags, and is easily revealed by quoting the post in question, however, most people seem to have not twigged to this. However, that's just my opinion, and has no bearing on reality or really anything else.
    I find the effort required to read his posts is now too high to bother reading them at all.
  • If Jen wasn't banned, Nine shouldn't be banned. People were begging for Jen to be banned. "Her" posts were useless spam, but somehow Scott found her appealing, so she stayed.

There are others whose "content" is little more than spam, and others who have lied in multiple posts and who've even plagiarized Geeknights on their blogs but they have never been in peril of banishment. If they stay, Nine should stay.

It's odd how different things hold different levels of offense for different people. I have never once been offended by Nine, but I can't see a goalpost now without becoming enraged.
  • who've even plagiarized Geeknights on their blogs
    Who has done this? It's kind of hard to plagiarize when we have a Creative Commons Attribution license.
    Who has done this? It's kind of hard to plagiarize when we have a Creative Commons Attribution license.
    I am also curious.
  • That's the thing. I realized that. I can't hate Nine.
    I know you realised it, Because you're the sweetest, kindest, and nicest person I've ever heard of. Well, that, and you've said it before. I'm just stating it for all to see, for the sake of making sure that everybody's picking up what I'm laying down, here.
    Watch out, Rym. Hehehe....
    Point taken. Everyone knows they can take content from such a license and use it how they want. However, when someone takes it and presents it as their own content without attribution to the original content-provider, it still smells like plagiarism to me.
    who've even plagiarized Geeknights on their blogs
    I am also curious.
    Not naming names, but someone's blog review of the iPhone shortly after it appeared was almost word-for-word what you said on the show, and was presented as this person's own content. Someone mentioned it in the forum, and Scott hinted that he knew but didn't care.
  • Point taken. Everyone knows they can take content from such a license and use it how they want. However, when someone takes it and presents it as their own content without attribution to the original content-provider, it still smells like plagiarism to me.
    It is.
    Not naming names, but someone's blog review of the iPhone shortly after it appeared was almost word-for-word what you said on the show, and was presented as this person's own content. Someone mentioned it in the forum, and Scott hinted that he knew but didn't care.
    I have no recollection of this.
  • I haven't really been having a problem reading any of Nine's hidden comments. You don't even have to quote them; you can just mouse over the ellipses. That said, it is getting kind of old now, so yeah, I'm glad to see him go back to his old fashioned visible snark.
  • Because he's not wasting the effort. He can tell you in a long, more polite form - but nobody listens to him anyway. There's no compelling reason to spend the effort.

You might note - I'm nice to nine. He's my mate, I treat him well, Listen to what he has to say, and while we argue from time to time, but he never treats me like I'm stupid - though, admittedly, if I'm BEING stupid, he'll call me on it, which is a whore of a different colour. Still - He doesn't treat me as if I'm stupid, and while he's blunt sometimes, I understand what he's getting at, and shrug off the occasional insult.

It's a two way street, really - Being nice to be above everyone else's level is a nice thought and all, but it's rarely something we actually practice. We're dicks to people who are dicks to us, and we're nice to people who are nice to us. It's just how people are. And Nothing is instant. Maybe, were we as a community to actually start listening to Nine more, and treat him with something more than casual disdain, he'd be a little less dickish to most of us.
    He annoys me. He argues a bit like Apreche, just for the opposite thing most of the time. He seems to not give a shit about people in a text-based conversation, so you come off as an ass. That doesn't mean I automatically write off his comments. I read them. So, obviously people listen to him, even the people he annoys.

But, you're right. It would be pretty hard to try to act true to yourself if others misrepresent you. I'm just saying I couldn't act like how others wrongly think of me, I;d have to prove them wrong. Because I'm a jerk. :P
    NINELESS! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • See you, space cowboy.
  • Hell, don't you people know a troll when you see one? He's not spamming and he's not making death threats. Let it go. Some of y'all have crippling anxiety. Nines seems to have some anger issues. You going to just accept that and deal, or are you really gonna get butthurt and ban him just because he says things you don't like?

I mean, hell, he's going to call me an "NPC" and I think that's kinda creepy and pathological, but I'm not going to whine about it and say that it might be bannable. That's just how he rolls. As long as what he's saying has actual, thought-out content, I don't know why there needs to be a thread complaining about it or talk of banning.

And as far as the ellipses go, why is that even an issue? You don't like it, don't mouse-over. Sheesh.
  • ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
  • Well, okay. THAT was pretty much spam.
  • To be honest, I'm not that fussed either way. Nineless will settle down in a few days but never really adds much and is kinda sad to look at.
  • edited October 2010
    Good grief.

Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • edited October 2010
    Well, okay. THAT was pretty much spam.
    I think it's in retaliation to the future slashfic of him and Omnutia.

Poor Nine.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...