This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Spotify.

edited September 2009 in Everything Else
Does anyone have an invitation token? I would love to have one, I really want to try Spotify out.

Comments

• Are they finally opening it up in the US?
  • Yeah, I have one if you want it.
  • Spotify is coming to the US. Rumor has it major labels are on board. If this is true, it's going to change everything. iTunes could literally be dead, just like that.
  • Man, I have not used anything but Spotify for the last two years, even after they switched to payed only, £5 a month is so worth it. It just gets rid of all the hassle. The only thing they could do to inprove the serive would be to have music radio shows, like Trance Around the World and A State of Trance on the service.
  • If you people get Spotify I wan Netflix here in return. On other news, I couldn't care less about Spotify, they really don't like free members.
  • I suppose it is worth it to me because the main form of media I consume is music, I barely ever watch TV and while I play quite a few video games, I play a lot of music with friends and talk a lot about music. Plus you can't go and see live video games (though that would be massively cool).
  • At home I listen mostly podcasts. Music I mostly listen when I'm out of home and I'm not going to pay around 10€ to get Spotify to my phone. With better price it could be cool, but not as it is now.
  • Can anyone spare an invite my way please?
  • edited July 2011
    I have a Google+ invite for anyone who invites me to Spotify.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited July 2011
    Whoops, wrong thread. I have no opinions regarding spotify.
    Post edited by jmerm on
  • Apparently I can't share Spotify invites with people from the US yet. If they work, once Spotify launches in the states, I have some invites to give out.
  • edited July 2011
    Jelly. Me want.
    Want to be listening to it right now.
    Post edited by ElJoe0 on
  • Paid version apparently just opened up in the US, free version is still invite-only.
  • I paid for the premium one. $10 a month. I'm just testing it out. I'll probably cancel. However, I have invites because I paid money.
  • I have an invite because Scott paid money.

I may try the premium version as well.
  • So far the only flaws I see in Spotify are the following:

The download link is really hidden on the site. They need to make it much more prominent.

Effectively no selection of foreign music. Ayumi Hamasaki doesn't exist as far as they are concerned.

I don't like how they have $5 for unlimited and $10 for premium. The premium price seems too high. I have a month to cancel, so we'll see. If it were $5 for premium, it would be almost a no brainer.
  • I don't like how they have $5 for unlimited and $10 for premium. The premium price seems too high. I have a month to cancel, so we'll see. If it were $5 for premium, it would be almost a no brainer.
    For us it's 5€ and 10€ (about 7$ and 14$). Way too expensive to me, that's why I'm second rate citizen and only have Spotify free (or open, or whatever it's called).
  • It used to use it when it was free in the UK but it changed its method of free streaming to a restricted amount of plays. Sort of turned me off.
  • Effectively no selection of foreign music. Ayumi Hamasaki doesn't exist as far as they are concerned.
    There's tons of foreign music. Search for Guitar Wolf. Or Neu. Or any number of other foreign groups. Just because they don't have it yet doesn't mean they never will.

Currently listening to Fujiyama Attack.
  • There's tons of foreign music. Search for Guitar Wolf. Or Neu. Or any number of other foreign groups. Just because they don't have it yet doesn't mean they never will.
    Yeah, I found some foreign music. But specifically the Japanese and Korean selections are lacking.
  • There's tons of foreign music. Search for Guitar Wolf. Or Neu. Or any number of other foreign groups. Just because they don't have it yet doesn't mean they never will.
    Yeah, I found some foreign music. But specifically the Japanese and Korean selections are lacking.
    They'll work on it as it rolls out. iTunes was pretty paltry in those areas at first, too.
  • Nick Cave. Winning.
  • Slough Feg's catalog is on here. Rocking out to Traveller RPG concept albums.
  • edited July 2011
    Having Spotify makes me really antsy about just doing away with the majority of my iTunes library. Soon, I hope.

Those who have has Spotify for longer, is there any easy way to find what in your library is available on Spotify?
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Having Spotify makes me really antsy about just doing away with the majority of my iTunes library. Soon, I hope.

Those who have has Spotify for longer, is there any easy way to find what in your library is available on Spotify?
    It auto-adds your library to the Spotify Player. Scroll through the page. Anything in a darker grey hasn't been Spotified yet.
  • I dunno if I'm gonna be using Spotify much, really. iTunes does basically what I need for actual media management/syncing, and Google Music works for playback/cloud niceties.
  • edited July 2011
    Ah-hah!
    I dunno if I'm gonna be using Spotify much, really. iTunes does basically what I need for actual media management/syncing, and Google Music works for playback/cloud niceties.
    But Spotify means I have to download less.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • So hows this better than grooveshark or pandora?
  • So hows this better than grooveshark or pandora?
    I haven't tried grooveshark, so can't speak to that. As for pandora, it's different in that you can search for specific songs, artists, etc and listen to whatever you want (at least, within their library). There's also playlist creation and playlist sharing and stuff I haven't messed with yet.