This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Guns!

So, anyone else a gun enthusiast, collector, hunter, or target shooter? I do a bit of all of those myself, and I love shooting sporting clays, even though I suck at it. I did some this afternoon with a buddy of mine, along with shooting off my SKS and my Ruger mk.2 target pistol at some paper targets.

Comments

• edited August 2011
    Check this thread out.
    The title doesn't lie, just jump to halfway down page 2. No joke, that was a flamewar and a half.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I was in the millitary in my country for 3 years, im still am on call for reservice actually. Although ive never found shooting guns for sport fun after the military, i have had my hand on a variety of guns, though mostly common rifles like the M16. Ive also had a hand on other kinds of explosive weapons like the MATADOR (an anti armor weapon system one can carry) and the M203 Grenade launcher that attaches to the M16. All these were under very strict test and firing conditions, so it was mostly a tense experience for me. My favorite has to be the GPMG (general purpose machine gun) though, firing it at night and watching the light trails of the bullets was a great experience.
  • I've always wanted to fire a machine gun and a grenade launcher, but I'm not sure I want to join the Army. I know there are other ways to shoot them, and private ownership in the US is legal, though difficult and expensive. I have a mind to go to the Knob Creek Machine Gun Festival in Kentucky one year and have a go.
  • My favorite has to be the GPMG (general purpose machine gun) though, firing it at night and watching the light trails of the bullets was a great experience.
    Yay for the Gimp!
  • My favorite has to be the GPMG (general purpose machine gun) though, firing it at night and watching the light trails of the bullets was a great experience.
    Yay for the Gimp!
    Man i remember i was firing the thing slowly at first, in short bursts, then the officer in charge of my staion who was looking over my shoulder gave my helmet a knock and hollered: JUST HOLD DOWN THE TRIGGER. And i just went all out and going AAAAAAAA, the recoil was magnificent. For some reason the GPMG firing was less stressful than all the others, maybe because it was just a familiarization lesson on the recoil and gaining a basic experience.
  • I shot a deer once. And then I ate it. :D

(My uncle made me help him skin/drain/gut it, which has heavily contributed to me never taking up hunting as a hobby. The stench of gore and death is only slightly less horrifying than having to wake up before the crack of dawn.)
  • Mmmmm delicious venison.... Gutting deer has never bothered me, or most gore generally for that matter. Also deer shouldn't smell that bad unless you screw up and pierce the intestines or rupture the stomach, especially the stomach. Dear god that stinks bad and usually ruins the meat in the bargain. Other than that it should just smell like blood which just smells metallic to me.
  • So, anyone else a gun enthusiast, collector, hunter, or target shooter? I do a bit of all of those myself, and I love shooting sporting clays, even though I suck at it. I did some this afternoon with a buddy of mine, along with shooting off my SKS and my Ruger mk.2 target pistol at some paper targets.
    Did you modify the Ruger Mk2 with a suppressor "Assassins" style. I swear that gun looked so awesome in the hands of Banderas and Stallone.

*shoots peach from a far*

Banderas: "I just killed your brother."

*eats second peach*
  • Haha no unfortunately. It would be pretty cool and I'd love to, but I'd have to get a threaded barrel and the suppressor and pay $200 for the tax stamp on it, and I don't have the money for that right now, sadly.
  • Guns are fun, I own many.
  • edited August 2011
    Just finished watching the dollars trilogy of movies and fell in love with the Colt Single Action Army (the .45 with a 7 1/2 inch barrel)!!!

*whisper* "a little with Clint Eastwood too..."
    Post edited by Codger on
  • Just finished watching the dollars trilogy of movies and fell in love with the Colt Single Action Army (the .45 with a 7 1/2 inch barrel)!!!

*whisper* "a little with Clint Eastwood too..."
    Single Action Army type pistols are great fun, and who doesn't have a little bit of lust for Clint Eastwood? If you want an SAA there are a bunch of companies that make repros besides Colt's official (and horribly overpriced) ones. Uberti is a good one.
  • But I like the people in this thread better. ;-P
  • Ruger makes a really nice SAA although its not as historical looking.
  • Ruger makes a really nice SAA although its not as historical looking.
    Yep, they're pretty great. I've been coveting a Blackhawk for a while now.
  • Here are a few shooting pictures from Oregon.

• edited August 2011
    What's your opinion on the Steyer, having a go with it? I haven't had a play with that model.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Its an MSAR Aug clone. The particular one I have was one of their first runs and its a terrible gun due to malfunctions. I have had it sent back 3 times and it still doesn't work right. Mostly failures to extract, double feeds and stovepipes.

That being said, the new runs are supposed to be really good, and an actual AUG is fine.

I really like the ergonomics and the size. Once you get used to magazine changes its a really nice platform. Its comfortable, easy to shoulder fast and accurate. The trigger pull is a bit rough though, a common problem on many bullpups.

If I had it to do over again I wouldn't buy this one, due to the reliability of this particular gun, but I would get an AUG.
  • Its an MSAR Aug clone. The particular one I have was one of their first runs and its a terrible gun due to malfunctions. I have had it sent back 3 times and it still doesn't work right. Mostly failures to extract, double feeds and stovepipes.

That being said, the new runs are supposed to be really good, and an actual AUG is fine.

I really like the ergonomics and the size. Once you get used to magazine changes its a really nice platform. Its comfortable, easy to shoulder fast and accurate. The trigger pull is a bit rough though, a common problem on many bullpups.

If I had it to do over again I wouldn't buy this one, due to the reliability of this particular gun, but I would get an AUG.
    Makes sense, I'll take all that under advisement. Does it have the two stage trigger as a selector, or did they go with the system used on the Austeyer, where the selector blocks off the movement of the trigger?
  • Its semi auto only. The safety is a push across tab near the trigger. Its like the Austeyer, the selector just blocks the trigger. It does have a AR-15 style magazine release and a forward assist, I believe they dropped the forward assist from later versions.

All in all I like the ergonomics alot and I think I'd be really happy with it if this particular one wasn't a lemon. At this point I don't know what to do with it, I'm going to contact them again and see if they will just exchange it.
  • Its semi auto only. The safety is a push across tab near the trigger. Its like the Austeyer, the selector just blocks the trigger. It does have a AR-15 style magazine release and a forward assist, I believe they dropped the forward assist from later versions.

All in all I like the ergonomics alot and I think I'd be really happy with it if this particular one wasn't a lemon. At this point I don't know what to do with it, I'm going to contact them again and see if they will just exchange it.
    The Austeyer has a more comprehensive selector than that (and a separate safety), but it beats the traditional AUG staged trigger. You don't want to go past semi, it blocks off the trigger going any further back, take it off semi, and it lets you pull the trigger all the way, but you can still use semi if you wish. Very clever idea.
  • Here are a few shooting pictures from Oregon.
    What kind of AK clone is that? A WASR?
  • What would you guys recommend for a cheap, not shitty, AK clone? I don't plan on buying it until at least next summer since I'll be at school, but I'd like one and I don't want to buy some cheap Chinese piece of shit. And I just mean a standard or folding stock model. None of that "tactical with laser sight and bayonette and bunch of other shit because I have a small penis" shit.

And Churbs, what's your beef with the AR-15?