This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Guns!

Comments

• The days of $300 AK's are long over. The demand is simply too great these days.
    I've seen them Between 4 and 5 hundred though. $1000 is still too much in my books.
  • The days of $300 AK's are long over. The demand is simply too great these days.
    I've seen them Between 4 and 5 hundred though. $1000 is still too much in my books.
    Exactly. Cheaper Than Dirt has WASR-10's for under $500.
  • Golgo 13 is good at using guns.
  • So I got to shoot a bunch of pistols this weekend and kept shooting low. Anyone have an idea on what I could be doing wrong? By the way, German Lugers are cool. ^_^
  • edited August 2011
    So I got to shoot a bunch of pistols this weekend and kept shooting low. Anyone have an idea on what I could be doing wrong? By the way, German Lugers are cool. ^_^
    Oooh, Lugers. Not had the chance to fire one myself, but I'd like to.

I doubt you're flinching, considering you're an experienced shooter, but it might be your grip, it might be that you're jerking the trigger, you might have too light of a grip(but I doubt it, considering), or you might even just be sighting in a little off. It's hard to say without seeing you in action, but those are considerations. I suppose you can figure out which ones it is more likely to be.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I doubt you're flinching, considering you're an experienced shooter, but it might be your grip, it might be that you're jerking the trigger, you might have too light of a grip(but I doubt it, considering), or you might even just be sighting in a little off. It's hard to say without seeing you in action, but those are considerations. I suppose you can figure out which ones it is more likely to be.
    I wouldn't be so quick to say I'm not flinching, I think that's the most likely reason. Can you think of anything else off the top of your head? It's definitely not my sight picture or my grip.
  • How to run your shotgun for the Zombie Apocalypse (i.e. yes, yet another Magpul video :P):

If your shooting low check your head position in relation to your sights. (i'm not trying to insult your experience or intelligence) Make sure your eyes are in line with your sights relative to your pistol.
  • edited August 2011
    I wouldn't be so quick to say I'm not flinching, I think that's the most likely reason. Can you think of anything else off the top of your head? It's definitely not my sight picture or my grip.
    Well, I would say that it's possible, if the firearm in question had adjustable rear sights, that you didn't have them dialed in right, but you shot a bunch of different pistols, and if you're consistently low with all of them, it's highly unlikely - but I'm throwing it out there as a possibility, as in the future, you might be shooting a pistol low, and be doing everything right, so it's worth checking in that future case.

Hm. Well, those aside, you could also have a less than ideal stance, but that may also be producing a variable result, shooting high OR low, but it's a possibility. IIRC, if it's going middle low, it could be that you're Dropping your head, Anticipating recoil, or breaking your wrist down. If it's low and right, you're tightening your grip as you pull the trigger, and to the left, you're either jerking or slapping the trigger. Of course, I'm assuming you're right handed, if you're sinister, just reverse that.

I'd say the most likely in this case will be trigger control, ducking, anticipating recoil, grip strength or tightening, and flinching - it won't be all of them, but it's worth the effort to make sure you're getting them all right. Roll the trigger back, you want the straightest line possible, I personally prefer to use the crease of the first knuckle of my trigger finger, right behind the pad of my index finger - It's called the power crease for a reason. Be smooth. Don't try to anticipate the trigger break, just let it happen when it happens - don't even worry about when it happens, I would say let it surprise you, but if it truly surprises you, then that's probably a negligent discharge. Don't anticipate the recoil, it won't help much, and you'll just send your shots low. Make sure you've got a very firm grip - I personally hold my pistol very tight, because it prevents milking, which is were your gripping fingers tighten with your trigger finger, unconsciously - admittedly, it can be a little uncomfortable at first, but you get used to it, though that's just my preferred method, doubtless there are other theories on the topic. Bring the firearm up to your eye level, don't bring your eye level down to it.

And of course, be chill about it. Pistols are hard to shoot accurately consistently, it takes practice. I'm telling you nothing you don't already know by saying that, of course, but still, it's just something you have to do over, and over, and over, till it's second nature.

Edit - Half ninja'd by Arron, cheeky bugger.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • If your shooting low check your head position in relation to your sights. (i'm not trying to insult your experience or intelligence) Make sure your eyes are in line with your sights relative to your pistol.
    I'm not insulted by any means, could you elaborate some? If I have a good sight picture how am I not inline with the gun and my target? Do you mean I possibly holding the gun too low?

In the end I think my only course of action is to buy a .22LR pistol and A) figure out what I'm doing wrong and B) fix it. I'm using a strong tactical grip as described in the video Andrew linked on page 1, but I think I still have a residual fear of the recoil of the pistol. This is from when I was much lighter person and much weaker of upper body strength.
  • Well, I would say that it's possible, if the firearm in question had adjustable rear sights, that you didn't have them dialed in right, but you shot a bunch of different pistols, and if you're consistently low with all of them, it's highly unlikely - but I'm throwing it out there as a possibility, as in the future, you might be shooting a pistol low, and be doing everything right, so it's worth checking in that future case.
    Yeah, it was with three different guns so it's not the gun. Though the problem was amplified by my friends 1911 which he had sighted retarded.

I don't understand how I can break my wrists down. I mean the gun is going to recoil my wrist up? How can I break my wrist down?
  • edited August 2011
    I'm not insulted by any means, could you elaborate some? If I have a good sight picture how am I not inline with the gun and my target? Do you mean I possibly holding the gun too low?
    I suspect you opened the tab before I posted - I said much the same thing, but it's basically what you said - you should bring your gun up to eye level, not bring your head down to the level of your gun.

Unless you're shooting something crazy like .454 Calsul, then you don't need to fear the reaper Recoil. However, your solution is indeed a good one. Pick up a cheap-but-decent pistol - I'd suggest 9MM over .22, as it doesn't kick as hard as a .45 or the like, but it's still got enough that you'll still break that aversion to recoil, but that is entirely my opinion, nothing more, so feel free to take that as you will - and shoot till your trigger callus has trigger calluses. If you have a good, firm grip, then the recoil is nothing you really need to worry about.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Hmmm, 9mm you say. I'm inclined to agree because I've been eyeing up a 9mm S&W M&P.
  • I know its sort of a vague question, but does anyone know of a .22 revolver that holds an abnormally large amount of rounds? I remember seeing one somewhere that held like 9 or 10 rounds a thought it a bit strange.
  • I know its sort of a vague question, but does anyone know of a .22 revolver that holds an abnormally large amount of rounds? I remember seeing one somewhere that held like 9 or 10 rounds a thought it a bit strange.
    It would be unusual, but not unheard of. I've seen pictures and had described 18-round, triple barrel revolvers that looked very much like they were .22, and it's not like five or six is a hard and fast rule, if you wanted, I guess you could have a revolver with more rounds. I don't know off the top of my head, I'll look around for you.
  • edited August 2011
    I know the Smith & Wesson 617 comes in 6 and 10 round wheels. The 617 is probably my favorite .22LR pistol I've ever fired, but it is a pricey gun.
    Post edited by George Patches on
    .22 revolvers often have cylinders with more than six rounds. There is the Ruger Single Ten which is a single action that holds ten rounds. There are others, just do a little google-fu and you should find more.
  • Oh sweet I didn't think big names like Ruger made ones like that. Man I would love to have a nice snub-nose like that.
  • .22 revolvers often have cylinders with more than six rounds. There is the Ruger Single Ten which is a single action that holds ten rounds. There are others, just do a little google-fu and you should find more.
    Okay, that's a pretty cool little revolver.
  • edited August 2011
    If you are consistently low (in the same place) then good! you've found a groove that can give you an accurate shot. Don't try to change the way you shoot, just change where you aim. Though this probably is not good advise for professionals.

I know I jerk down when I shoot. I can't tell as I'm shooting and I've tried all kind of stuff to relax. But if I misfire, my hand does a quick jerk reflex throwing the nose down just a tad. I need more shooting time.
    Post edited by bodtchboy on
  • If you are consistently low (in the same place) then good! you've found a groove that can give you an accurate shot. Don't try to change the way you shoot, just change where you aim. Though this probably is not good advise for professionals.
    I don't think we have anyone who is shooting professionally here anymore. However, while it does make sense, it's still better to fix your technique than to just fix your aim.
  • I don't think we have anyone who is shooting professionally here anymore. However, while it does make sense, it's still better to fix your technique than to just fix your aim.
    Well I am building an AR15 with the express intent of competing in CMP service rifle competitions. However, my aim problem seems to be isolated to my pistols at the moment.
  • Well I am building an AR15 with the express intent of competing in CMP service rifle competitions. However, my aim problem seems to be isolated to my pistols at the moment.
    Point taken, though I did mean more along the lines of having a job related to firearms - I know we have a few ex-military types, but that's about it, to the best of my knowledge.
  • Usually with a rifle having it shouldered forces better ergonomics. The longer sight relief also makes a bigger difference.

Before you spring on a new rifle, buy some snap caps and mix them in randomly with your rounds If you see yourself flinching then you'll know that was the issue, if not, you know its not the issue.

On the range I would most often move the persons arms up so the pistol was at their eyes. It was better for the to be in an aggressive stance leaning forward with their but out, that would bring their head down without them scrunching it down or angling the pistol down. The idea is to have the pistol as level as possible, but if your really tall it isn't going to happen if your shooting for center mass. I don't think I'm describing it well, I've always helped train at the range, not over a forum!
  • edited August 2011
    LULZ who needs gun safety when you can train to be tactiloooool

EDIT: God, I love finding videos like these
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • It's basically the firearm version of 21 foot guy :P
  • It's basically the firearm version of 21 foot guy :P
    No, that would be this (it's the same guy).
  • To all the muggers out there: use revolvers.