This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Guns!

Comments

• Are you going to use this weapon for cathartic release?
    No, nor would I ever recommend that.
    I meant on a range.
    Still, I wouldn't recommend it. Using violence as an outlet for such things reinforces violent actions and makes you more likely to use violence in the future.
  • Are you going to use this weapon for cathartic release?
    I meant on a range.
    Still, I wouldn't recommend it. Using violence as an outlet for such things reinforces violent actions and makes you more likely to use violence in the future.
    I find shooting a stress reliever, but certainly not in a cathartic way. Though sometimes it is fun to shoot at printed zombie targets and high five your buddies on headshots.
  • edited September 2011
    Are you going to use this weapon for cathartic release?
    I meant on a range.
    So when you don't use your AK, it isn't necessarily a good day.

Edit: In all seriousness, catharsis was probably the wrong word. Still, I just really wanted to set up an Ice Cube joke.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Supposedly they aren't that bad anymore, but why Ruger put such a thin barrel on that gun no one will ever know. If it hadn't been so damn inaccurate it would have been the prefect middle ground between an AK and an AR.
  • edited September 2011
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Man, if only they didn't appear to shove the reel into the chamber I would be all about that.
  • Man, if only they didn't appear to shove the reel into the chamber I would be all about that.
    If it had a fly reel, *then* I'd be all about that.
  • hmm, if it was modified so you could shoot the lure...
  • Does anyone know a good American length stock for a AK? I find the Warsaw length stock to be a bit gimpy. A good folding stock would be preferred.
  • I can't give a reccomendation there, but speaking of stocks, what do all y'all prefer? Synthetic, wood, folding, fixed?
  • I like all kinds of stocks. Though if it's wood I prefer something with a nice finish on it. My AK is bare wood, which I'm not such a huge fan of. On an assault rifle I generally prefer synthetic furniture due to it's superior durability. As for fixed versus folding, that depends. On the AR15 I'm building I really think of that more like a battle rifle and thus want a full size, fixed stock. My AK I think of more of a close quarters weapon, thus I'm thinking a folding stock would be more appropriate for it's function.
  • Man, I wish folding stocks weren't Illegal here.
  • Man, I wish folding stocks weren't Illegal here.
    California? New York?
  • Michigan. It might not be all folding stocks, but I know some are because I guess it would reclassify some guns as short barreled rifles when folded.
  • edited September 2011
    Michigan. It might not be all folding stocks, but I know some are because I guess it would reclassify some guns as short barreled rifles when folded.
    That's a good point, but it doesn't apply in this case. A short barreled rifle is a rifle with a barrel length less than 16" and/or and overall length less than 26". A standard AK has a 16.3" barrel and without the stock a length of just over 26". So technically it's perfectly legal, at least from a federal stand point. Your local mileage may vary. For me, everything is legal in the state in Virginia. ^_^
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • It looks like here in Michigan it would be legal too :) A 74U folding stock would still be illegal but, while I would like one, I hear the aren't nearly as accurate anyway.
  • It looks like here in Michigan it would be legal too :) A 74U folding stock would still be illegal but, while I would like one, I hear the aren't nearly as accurate anyway.
    They aren't "illegal", but they do need to be registered with the BATFE and you have to pay a $200 tax when you get or create such a short barreled weapon.
  • Oh yeah I forgot about that. I remember reading that a while ago and being surprised I could legally have a sawed-off shotgun.
  • He must have needed a new...butt stock.
  • Man, I really want a Kel-tec SU-16C. I mean it even has a built-in bipod but its like $700. Urg
  • I picked up a Noveske, very happy with it.

• Pardon my somewhat Gun illiteracy, but what is that, an M4?
  • No need for pardons, an M4 is the shorter carbine length version of an M16. It is shorter than a standard M16.

The M4 has a 3 round burst capability rather than full auto. (its still termed a select fire weapon because there is an option for something other than semi-auto (single fire for one pull of the trigger)).

The M4A1 has a full auto capability instead of a 3 round burst.
  • I know what and M4 is, though I didn't know the standard one only did bursts. I just wondered what your Noveske was.
  • Ah, well, its a fairly standard carbine, 14.5 barrel with a permanent flash suppressor to bring it to 16" Its got all the AR-15 refinements and comes with the nice Magpull stuff that I wanted.

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2776
  • Ah, well, its a fairly standard carbine, 14.5 barrel with a permanent flash suppressor to bring it to 16" Its got all the AR-15 refinements and comes with the nice Magpull stuff that I wanted.
    They're not bad. I'd have gone with the Daniels Defence M4, personally(despite the BD4B-ness of it), it's only about a ten dollar price difference, but the Noveske, it's not the worst M4 I've seen, pretty nice, really. Though the idea of anything in the AR-15 being refined makes me giggle like a flirty school-girl.
  • Andrew, this one is pretty much just for you.

Nothing like watching two heavily armed, highly dangerous men argue about vanilla oreo frosties.