This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• There is a lot of lame touristy stuff people do in Boston like go to Quincy Market. It's just a food court and shopping. Seriously.

All the best stuff to do in Boston that is touristy, but doesn't suck, is to look at old colonial stuff. There's a thing they have called the freedom trail. It's a red line of paint on the sidewalks and streets. If you follow that line, you will pass by every important historical thing. For example, you can see the church where they hung one light if by land or two if by sea. Some of it is lame, but there are a lot of smaller things along the way that most tourists ignore that are pretty awesome.
  • edited September 2011
    You could take him to the "Cheers" bar (note: does not look like cheers bar on the inside), on a duck tour or to the observation deck of Prudential Towers. Of course, there's always this to reference should that not be enough.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • This place in Harvard Square serves the best hot chocolate I've ever had.
  • We weren't allowed to turn in printed pages in most of my RIT classes. Digital submission only.
    Most classes at the very least allow digital submission but this is one of those teachers who wants a paper copy :(
    Se have two turn ins. One online for plagiarism checks, that also is also the copy that is stored, the other is physical that the marker uses. Yep and if you are late on either then you lose marks.
    I've never had that, but I doubt it can compare to City Bakery.
    I've never had that, but I doubt it can compare to City Bakery.
    I make no claims that it is better than anything else, oly that it is the best I've ever had. Perhaps when you are in Boston for Anime Boston or PAX east you'll stop by and report back with a comparison.
  • You could take him to the "Cheers" bar (note: does not look like cheers bar on the inside), on a duck tour or to the observation deck of Prudential Towers. Of course, there's always this to reference should that not be enough.
    There are actually two "Cheers" bars in Boston. The original, real name "Bull & Finch Pub," looks nothing like the TV show on the inside, as you said. The second was opened by the same owners in Quincy Market much more recently and was designed to be as exact a recreation of the show as possible.

Other possibilities not mentioned include a Samuel Adams brewery tour (free beer samples!), whale watching (you can get a boat near the New England Aquarium, which is kind of lame compared to newer aquariums, sadly), various museums (depending on your interests), etc. If you're into baseball you can also get a tour of Fenway Park on non-game days.
  • What kind of stone is orange like this?
  • That is gold.
  • Ludwig II? It's just a shot in the dark, but I'm not sure if anyone else could be so gaudy.
  • It looked a lot more like gold in some of the other pictures. It looks a lot cooler all orangey like this than regular gold colored. I'm not so sure about your Ludwig, but it's some rich Russian guy's house modeled after one of Catherine the Great's palace.
  • The Amber Room?
  • The Amber Room?
    Given the color, that's entirely possible.
  • If a female friend (not the possible lesbian) texts you randomly that she she thinks shes a sex addict, its not just me that thinks it sounds a bit...odd, right?
  • If a female friend (not the possible lesbian) texts you randomly that she she thinks shes a sex addict, its not just me that thinks it sounds a bit...odd, right?
    Either wants attention, is feeling bad about a decision she made, or wants a booty call.

Probably best to respond with "Why do you think that?" or not at all.
  • Oh thats how I did respond. It just kinda caught me off guard.
  • Probably best to respond with "I'm not convinced, but we can run a few simple tests." or not at all.
  • Good man, Churba. Good man.
  • Why am I drawing a comic at 1am. WHY! It's fun!
  • Probably best to respond with "Why do you think that?" or not at all.
    More humour needed in suggested chat up lines!
  • With R.E.M. calling it quits and Mike Modano retiring, the 90s are now officially over. However, Transformers is in the cinema and My Little Pony is on TV. Are the 80s back now? Am I stuck in a time loop?
  • To those that live in Boston/visit Boston frequently:
    I am taking my Dad to Boston over Columbus Day weekend because he has never been to an aquarium. Other than the aquarium, what do y'all recommend for activities? I've been to Boston to see shows, but I haven't been there as a real tourist since I was in high school. Also, do you have any recommendation for conveniently located hotels?
    In terms of hotels, get something in the Back Bay. It's the easiest place to get in and out of by car, is on two T lines (the Orange and most of the branches of the Green), and has great food around. It's probably the easiest place to be if you want to get from one point to the other. The only problem is, it's a slight pain to get to the aquarium by train (You'd have to take the Green Line to Government Center, then switch to the Blue. Not terrible, but not terribly convenient.)

While you're up at the Aquarium, check out the North End for some of the best freaking Italian food and coffee outside of New York.

If you're not opposed to museums, the Boston Museum of Science is pretty freaking awesome, and there's always something cool going on there.
    "My dick is a twelve-step program."
  • You guys are always so helpful.
  • edited September 2011
    You guys are always so helpful.
    No probs, broski.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
    "My dick is a twelve-step program."
    That could be taken entirely the wrong way, as in "My dick is so unsatisfying that sex with me would make you stop wanting sex".
  • Every pickup line is a gambit.
    So if you're going to fail, at least make yourself smile in the process!
    So if you're going to fail, at least make yourself smile in the process!
    Exactly!