This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Current Events

Comments

• Off-duty cop visits Canada, complains about not being able to carry gun, gets mocked by Canadians. http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/08/10/canadians-mock-u-s-tourist-who-complained-about-not-being-able-to-carry-a-gun/
  • Tempted to write troll article claiming to be psychopathic murderer in the making, "uncertain if gun control laws help or hurt my interests."
  • AmpAmp
    edited August 2012
    Off-duty cop visits Canada, complains about not being able to carry gun, gets mocked by Canadians. http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/08/10/canadians-mock-u-s-tourist-who-complained-about-not-being-able-to-carry-a-gun/
    I'd shit my pants if someone wanted me to go to a rodeo.

edit; I would even go so far as to try to shoot them.
    Post edited by Amp on
  • How about that Samsung/Apple verdict? How did Apple not end up infringing Samsung patents? The reporting I read said Apple never fought against the claim that they infringed???
  • How about that Samsung/Apple verdict? How did Apple not end up infringing Samsung patents? The reporting I read said Apple never fought against the claim that they infringed???
    The main problem was the judge didn't let Samsung show all the evidence of prior art from SONY and other places. In appeal, they will try to show that prior art, and hopefully that will result in all the patents being invalidated.
  • As much as I generally like Apple and the products they make, I think everyone in this case is in the wrong. Something needs to be done about the underlying issue of software patents being overly broad, unoriginal, and hurting smaller companies and startups (and innovation as a whole) just to pad corporate bank accounts.
  • Something needs to be done about the underlying issue of software patents being overly broad, unoriginal, and hurting smaller companies and startups (and innovation as a whole) just to pad corporate bank accounts.
    Fixed that for you.
  • Thanks, Canine. You are correct.
  • Patents, if done properly aren't a bad thing per se. The problem is that too many overly broad patents are being done -- enough to block out entire market segments due to these broad patents. It also doesn't hurt that the average patent clerk is overworked and maybe even underqualified -- we don't have Einstein working in the patent office anymore.
  • edited August 2012
    God dammit, Iran; You are part of my heritage. Why do you always have to be so fucking disgraceful? I don't know why the ninja women there don't rise up and take over.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Maybe they already have. Maybe Ammedinijad is just a figurehead, and they're manipulating the press to reverse pronoun genders. Sure, it SAYS they're refusing women, but how do we know it isn't the other way around?
  • Double post, but I'm necro-ing, so I doubt anyone minds. Hungarian Prime Minister "Unfriends" the IMF.
  • Break out the spaghetti, atheism is gettin' a revival up in he-ah. Lod' a merceh!
    http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/09/survey-one-in-five-americans-is-religiously-unaffiliated/?hpt=hp_c1
  • It's all about dem comments.

Dumb comment on thread "1 in 5 are smart".

Dumber reply comment on thread "You got it backwards, friend. That's one in five who are SHTOOPID. You just need to read the history books to see what happens to nations when they start to think they're smarter than God. The nations that thought so are no longer around."

Reply I don't feel like signing up to make, "You mean China?"
  • edited October 2012
    Historical (think dynasty's) China no longer exists. Same borders, same name, different government.

Vatican is likely the most similar to it's founding self.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • I am still baffled that nothing is being done about Syria. I fully understand the reasons but man it doesn't still well with me. Least of all when the UK news is focusing on other bollocks.
  • Historical (think dynasty's) China no longer exists. Same borders, same name, different government.
    But have any of them ever believed in a Christian God?
  • Historical (think dynasty's) China no longer exists. Same borders, same name, different government.
    But have any of them ever believed in a Christian God?
    Does it matter?
  • I am still baffled that nothing is being done about Syria. I fully understand the reasons but man it doesn't still well with me. Least of all when the UK news is focusing on other bollocks.
    Russia and China have vetoed or threatened to veto any action.

• In the context of that quote? Yes?
  • edited October 2012
    In the context of that quote? Yes?
    China today is not the same as China 100 years ago. Governmentally they are very different. Whether that change had anything to do with religion directly is irrelevant because China is no longer the same China.

It's like a new company buying out an old company and then trying to use the purchased company's history to make theirs look better.... (SBC/AT&T).

So using China as an example is bad.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Erm no. China exists right now. Past China's are not even necessary for the example.
  • Erm no. China exists right now. Past China's are not even necessary for the example.
    Current Communist China has not been around that long, it's a poor example to use.

• Vatican is likely the most similar to it's founding self.
    It's had less time to corrupt itself (it didn't become a sovereign nation from Rome until the mid 19th Century when Garibaldi convinced it to seceed so he could unite the rest of Italy) and due to its size and role in the Catholic church, people are more like minded than most other countries.
  • But there has almost always been a China, so at any given point in the past, the statement was true. Derp.
  • But there has almost always been a China, so at any given point in the past, the statement was true. Derp.
    Egypt too, among others.

Any point in the past?

The irony that one non-christian nation was overthrown by another non-christian power who decided to keep the former nations name and borders appears to be lost on you (and would also be lost on those ppl you mention on some other website.)

If you were to jump in and say, "what about China, they around for long long ling time," someone would chime in that Mao overthrew the emporer not too long ago...
  • That's not the point. They simply have to exist right now.
  • That's not the point. They simply have to exist right now.
    A better response would be to ask the religious nuts to prove their assertion. Ask them to point to a few nations that ceased to exist specifically due to the decline of religion within their borders and government.
  • That wouldn't troll him or you quite as well.