This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Current Events

Comments

• A hero is only as great as the villains he defeats. Same goes for the ACLU .
    Is that really what you believe? What if there is no villain? You're acting incredibly simplistic. Where did you get your morality -- from watching movies?
    Guess Martin Luther King, Jr. was full of shit because there are still racists.
    King beat the shit out of Jim Crow, though. He but off more than he could chew, but he chewed more than any other private citizen (ie not politician) in American history.
  • You know, if we're going to argue as to whether the ACLU should or shouldn't go after higher profile free speech cases, can we at least use an example where it is a cut-and-dry example of free speech being squelched instead of the case of the Mohammad film maker who violated his probation agreement in the process of making, distributing, and promoting his film?

I mean, really, I can't blame the ACLU for not going after that case because, even if hypothetically the probation violation was used as an excuse to go after him, he did legitimately violate it and the only charges brought against him were for violating the agreement. A much better example of a worthwile case for the ACLU to take on would be someone who did not break any laws or probation agreements in the course of making his/her controversial, yet protected, statements.
    King beat the shit out of Jim Crow, though. He but off more than he could chew, but he chewed more than any other private citizen (ie not politician) in American history.
    GREG WE'RE ON THE SAME SIDE
  • Interesting fact: ACLU supports the decision in Citizen's United. Learn something new every day.
  • I am really interested in why the court ruled the way it did for CU. Also why the ACLU supports that. Usually I can see the rationality in decisions, but this time I'm not so sure. Can you link me to the ACLU's info about it?
  • Well, I can't fault their logic once again. They support freedom of speech and think that any campaign finance reform should be treated as a separate issue. That's... fair.
  • ACLU has become less of a "dirty liberalz" group over the past decade. They have even supported gun owners and Limbaugh !!!
  • I don't know about that, as a decade ago I hated them on the principle that they opposed things I supported. But I have found them to be very, very principled.

They're not partisan, that's for sure. They always fall on the side of civil liberties.
  • Interesting fact: ACLU supports the decision in Citizen's United. Learn something new every day.
    They hold free speech higher than most other things, so that's understandable.

Ideologically, I'm completely fine with Citizen's United, though pragmatically it is troubling.

• There's no such thing as ideologically vs pragmatically, really, it's just the lack of reconciliation of the two aspects. Citizens United is objectively bad. While you could say that in an ideal society where people play the long game and are fully educated about their own self interest as it relates to the long term interests of society, they're not and will never be so it's entirely moot.
  • There's no such thing as ideologically vs pragmatically
    Do you mean that as a general statement, or only in this context?
  • There's no such thing as ideologically vs pragmatically
    Do you mean that as a general statement, or only in this context?
    I was thinking primarily in this context, but I think it probably applies generally. Pragmatism and ideology are just two aspects of reality. It ought to be possible to reconcile the two.

I'm prepared for the screaming of philosophy majors to follow. :-P
  • Oh there's no need to scream. I'll just let that stand on its own.
  • It's a valid point.
  • Are you one of those cute little gnomes who thinks philosophy is a real science? That's sweet.
  • Are you one of those cute little gnomes who thinks philosophy is a real science? That's sweet.
    That is a really weird way to take what I said.
    Being less cryptic will yield better results in the future.
    Being less cryptic will yield better results in the future.
    Dude... bro... you need to stop writing agendas into everything. I ask a question, you responded. I thought it was a slightly interesting if strange theory. You then get weird.
  • I had no idea what you were trying to say. I decided to be facetious in response. It's Friday. I'm chill. You're seeing an agenda I haven't got.
    You know science is a branch of philosophy, right?

Sure. So is religion. Alchemy, too.
  • My philosophy is science is right.
  • My philosophy is science is an acceptable heuristic method for pragmatic application.

Sure. So is religion. Alchemy, too.
    No, seriously. Like, you can empirically quantify and test the validity of thought systems as an extension of logical systems. Philosophy is science. It's not just thinking.

All of math derives from philosophy. Bertram Russell proved this (or started to) in the Principia Mathematica.
  • I wouldn't worry guys. Muppet got his Friday on with drones. He's good now.
  • I wouldn't worry guys. Muppet got his Friday on with drones. He's good now.
    ugh THANK GOD