This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Current Events

Comments

• http://falkvinge.net/2012/11/10/copyright-industry-reality-takes-six-years-to-catch-up-with-the-worst-satire-of-it/
    well we can only hope the prior art stops Microsoft. Either way, I'm sticking with netflix on wii.
  • A hero is only as great as the villains he defeats. Same goes for the ACLU .
    Guess Martin Luther King, Jr. was full of shit because there are still racists.
    King beat the shit out of Jim Crow, though. He but off more than he could chew, but he chewed more than any other private citizen (ie not politician) in American history.
    GREG WE'RE ON THE SAME SIDE
    No, actually, we aren't. I agree with Steve on this one.

EDIT: second page. Whoops.
  • As an aside Falkvinge makes very good cases on hard subjects.
  • edited December 2012
    And a lot of people are making snide tweets implying other people are nothing more than childish racists itching for a chance to murder people of other races, just because they don't think the same thing they do on some issues. Apparently they don't get enough chances to broadcast about how superior they are to other people due to their opinions on a regular enough basis, now they also have to use a national tragedy just for an opportunity to stroke their egos.

I don't give a fuck what side Mr Atkins is on, he's just a complete fucking wanker. What a fucking scumbag. Go fuck yourself, Dante. Go fuck yourself.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Another school shooting is unfolding in California:
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CALIF_SCHOOL_SHOOTING_?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-01-10-13-02-30

This article hasn't been updated yet to reflect it, but the wire says one student was shot. No word on whether the student is wounded or dead, though the semantics suggest the student is alive.
  • Wounded.
  • And a lot of people are making snide tweets implying other people are nothing more than childish racists itching for a chance to murder people of other races, just because they don't think the same thing they do on some issues. Apparently they don't get enough chances to broadcast about how superior they are to other people due to their opinions on a regular enough basis, now they also have to use a national tragedy just for an opportunity to stroke their egos.

I don't give a fuck what side Mr Atkins is on, he's just a complete fucking wanker. What a fucking scumbag. Go fuck yourself, Dante. Go fuck yourself.
  • edited January 2013
    Wanna be really fucking depressed?
    In the US the
    share of national income going to the top 1% has doubled since 1980 from 10 to 20%. For the top 0.01% it has quadrupled to levels never seen before... In China the top 10% now take home nearly 60% of the income. Chinese inequality levels are now similar to those in South Africa, which are now the most unequal country on earth and significantly more unequal than at the end of apartheid... Globally the incomes of the top 1% have increased 60% in twenty years. The growth in income for the 0.01% has been even greater... The top 100 billionaires added $240 billion to their wealth in 2012- enough to end world poverty four times over.
    But when the aristocracy fucks up, turns out they're too big to fucking prosecute, because apparently jobs are more important than lives. Keep in mind: this is our radical leftist, the guy we elected because he would bring change and help people.

So, Forum, how fucked are we?
    Post edited by Greg on
  • If by "we" you mean the forum, not particularly.
    If by "we" you mean the world, pretty damn fucked, though even then, things are still getting better overall.
  • So, someone just tried to assassinate the Leader of the Bulgarian Opposition.

Clever Clogs thankfully either forgot the saftey, or forgot to chamber a round, makes his move, and stands there in complete puzzlement for a second or two, and then you hear the sound of dawning realization of exactly the magnitude of his fuckup. Which sounds exactly like being tackled by a giant angry Bulgarian, and then having the shit kicked out of him by about 20 old white dudes.
  • Wow. That guy was incredibly lucky/that other guy was incredibly unlucky.
  • Shit. Dogan's reaction time was pretty quick too.
  • edited January 2013
    Turns out it wasn't even a real pistol - I was a Gas Pistol, legally obtainable in Bulgaria as a "Self Defense Device". It's essentially a pistol-shaped thing that fires bursts of pepper spray using a small amount of gunpowder - at that range, he'd have been lucky to even wound the guy, they're not even as dangerous as blanks. It'd fuckin' sting, but chances of death are extremely low. He did have two knives, though, not that it helped.

Similar model with the same size cartridge, in action -

Still, the look on his face when it didn't go off - purest schadenfreude.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Well that's... odd.
  • Well that's... odd.
    Hold on to your tin-foil hats, gentlemen. What if the assassination was staged by the Bulgarian politician to gain favor?
  • Well that's... odd.
    Hold on to your tin-foil hats, gentlemen. What if the assassination was staged by the Bulgarian politician to gain favor?
    Yep, plenty of people immediately started on that one. Zero evidence at this point though, it's pure tinfoil hat speculation.

• edited January 2013
    Turkish friend of mine says he's not saying YOLO in the video, he's saying "What happened?" in Turkish (as well as swearing a lot).
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • Boy Scouts Consider Lifting Ban on Gay Leaders
    So now young Boy Scouts might be able to like other boys and not get kicked out, provided that the leadership doesn't throw too much of a fit next week and said Scout's troop is in an urban, high-income, liberal area.
    So that's a step forward.
  • edited January 2013
  • OzOz
    edited January 2013
    Post edited by Oz on
  • edited January 2013
    Does anyone have any thoughts on the repeal of the ban on women in combat?

I personally think that if someone's willing to maintain the physical standards and risk their life it's there right.

Edit: huh coulda sworn I put the other their... there.
    Post edited by spikespiguel1 on
  • There.
    Their.
    They're.

Come ON, people!
  • Does anyone have any thoughts on the repeal of the ban on women in combat?

I personally think that if someone's willing to maintain the physical standards and risk their life it's their right.
    Exactly. If you can schlep 40+lbs of gear while in a full body camo suit (possibly including chemical warfare protection gear), body armor, and carrying an M-16 over the course of multiple days worth of 100 mile marches and still be able to hit a target a couple of hundred yards away while also being shot at, then yeah, you shouldn't be kept from doing so if you choose to.

• So how does one shoot down the unit cohesion argument?
  • Sparta. 'Nuff said?