This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Star Wars: The Disney Era

edited April 2016 in Movies
This is apparently not fake. First Disney bought Marvel. Now they are buying Lucasfilm, Ltd. In the press release it says

STAR WARS: EPISODE 7 feature film targeted for release in 2015.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=96524
Post edited by Andrew on

Comments

• THRAWN!

Probably not...
  • Did a sick in my mouth.
  • The good news in this is that Episode 7 has to try really hard to be the worst one in the series.
  • I can only see good things in the future. The more movies the better, I say.
  • The good news in this is that Episode 7 has to try really hard to be the worst one in the series.
    It's impossible for it to be any worse.

Given how good the series is, I have hope they can pull out a good movie.

• I'm thinking that this is going to work out exactly like what happened with Marvel and Pixar. It's going to run as it's own company, but it's going to have Disney's financing and access to it's marketing. I'm intrigued as to how Star Wars episode VII is going to work out, though. I actually enjoyed the prequel trilogy, but they are flawed films and that is definitely due to George Lucas writing and directing. I'm hoping that he sticks to his guns about retiring from directing and that he will only work on the films from a producer standpoint and leave the writing and directing to more... capable hands.
  • I'm optimistic, but skeptical. Disney bought Marvel and did some really good things, I can hope for the same.
  • I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • So basically, George Lucas: Fuck it, I'm old.
  • Lucas and Disney have always been buddy-buddy, as evidenced by the FANTASTIC Star Tours theme park attraction, so I'm not entirely surprised by that. They've shown that they're capable of doing good things together.

I'm... cautiously optimistic about Episode VII. It can't be worse than Episode I, but I'm hoping it's better than Episode III, which I think everyone agrees is the strongest of the prequels. What characters will be in it, though?

Lucas Arts is part of Lucasfilm, right? So Disney owns that too?
  • You know what, it'll be one of three things:

1. A marketing movie directed at 11 year olds. (Read: Clone Wars)
    2. Attempted, but failed, awesome. (Read: Episode 1)
    3. Actual awesome.

The only outcomes are either meeting our low expectations, or exceeding them and becoming something awesome. Furthermore, the article says that Lucas is being held onto the project only as a "creative consultant," so I have high hopes that, if nothing else, the movie will be something unlike most recent Lucasarts productions.
  • One of the only good things about Episode III is that, due to having to cram in so much story, Lucas couldn't create loads of new worlds and aliens and characters like he did in all the other movies. The Ewoks and the Gungans just weren't needed, and in Episode III he just played in the galaxy he'd already created.

I think the good thing about episode VII is that there is such a big world to play in, what with the original and prequel trilogies, plus all the books that take place after episode VI. I think there are some super interesting stories that can be told without having to invent loads of new shit for no reason except because it's cool.

Hopefully Episode VII won't try to create too much more, and just play with the vast amounts already there. How about an underwater battle between Gungans (Jar Jar's people) and the Mon Calamari (Ackbar's people)? How about Ewoks vs Wookies? It can all be done.
  • Let Brad Bird direct it!
    YES!! I so hope this actually happens.

• I'm worried...
  • The cool thing about this is that, 10 years after Episode III, it doesn't matter what they do, they're going to make boat loads of money from everyone, all over again.

Brad Bird would be awesome, and might make the two people who wouldn't see it anyway pay to do so.
    THIS. THIS. OH MY GOD THIS.

I bet it's going to be about Han and Leia's kids and the new Empire.
  • I'd rather have Unkrich direct it, but Bird would still be fantabulous.
    THIS. THIS. OH MY GOD THIS.

I bet it's going to be about Han and Leia's kids and the new Empire.
    God I hope not. Go 1000, 10000, years into the future. Leave everything else behind.
  • Yeah, it does include Lucas Arts. I hope this somehow results in better Star Wars games, like Battlefront III. I have no idea how that would work; I mostly just want to play Battlefront III.

http://www.polygon.com/2012/10/30/3577710/disney-purchases-lucasfilm-in-4-billion-acquisition-deal-includes
  • I'm for it. I've been wanting them to just make a straight up sequel rather than random shitty spinoffs and whatnot for years. Who knows how its going to turn out, but I don't think it will be THAT bad. I do know one thing though, it's probably going to piss off the extended universe fanboys.
  • Daniel Graig as a Jedi? Yes please!
    Wait, you mean Craig? As in James Bond? Yes.

Also I wonder if they will add Star Wars to the KH series.
    Wait, you mean Craig? As in James Bond? Yes.

Also I wonder if they will add Star Wars to the KH series.
    If they do, I wonder if they'll add Marvel Characters as well?

• I'm not getting my hopes up. I'm just going to assume it's going to suck hard, and if it sucks less than that, win.
  • I'd like to see a Starwars movie without lightsabers. That'd be cool.
  • edited October 2012
    In news that will surprise no one, Star Wars episode VII will be the start of a new trilogy and new installments will come out every 2-3 years.

Also, Darth Vader at Disneyland is one of the best commercials ever made and Star Tours: the Adventures Continue is one of the best attractions at the Disney parks. Seriously, it's amazing.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on