This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Weed is legal! Now what?

edited November 2012 in Politics
This made me want to discuss it.

Weed's legal for recreational use in a few states now. What do you think this is going to cause? How will the Feds respond?
Post edited by Rym on

Comments

• I like how you put anime as the category.
  • Get high and watch Puni Puni Poemy.
  • Crap, I meant to change that to Politics.
  • 'Weeding out a bad marijuana dealers will mean that banks will keep a lid on seedy investments with systemic losses." did you write that comment?
  • I have changed your category to Politics with my god-powers.
  • It's not legal enough for me to even attempt to break my "Never tried weed" record. I guess if I was in WA or CO AND the feds said they would not be enforcing federal law there I might have a pot brownie or something.
  • I'm with Crem. I'm super curious to try marijuana for my Crohn's but I'm very cautious in this area and will wait for federal laws to inevitably change.

I worry slightly about the likelihood of increased paranoia since I already have that issue from years of steroid use, which helps to moderate my enthusiasm.
  • I just remembered a dream I had recently where I smoked weed. I never have in real life, though, and don't really have any interest in it. And if I did, it probably wouldn't be via blunt. I like my lungs.
  • My experiences with marijuana were all pleasant.

Though, my experiences with people who consumed it on a regular (nay, chronic) basis were not.
  • I heard this on the radio today and was disapointed that the reporter never talked about California.
  • Chronic marijuana use does seem to go hand in hand with a particular personality type, doesn't it? Although to be fair I have known a few chronic (several times a week) users who you probably wouldn't identify unless they told you, the former seems to be the most common type.
  • I shall not partake of the marijuana until the feds decide it shall not affect my employment status. Also not until there are good quality controls that prevent it being laced with something evil (like heroine).
  • Chronic marijuana use does seem to go hand in hand with a particular personality type, doesn't it? Although to be fair I have known a few chronic (several times a week) users who you probably wouldn't identify unless they told you, the former seems to be the most common type.
    Chronic alcohol use presents the same scenario, just with a different related culture. Exceptions there may be, the rule is that I avoid these people the same way I avoid hobos.

• What about chronic masturbators and fornicators?
  • What about chronic masturbators and fornicators?
    Just carry some hand sanitizer.

• fornicators?
    They tend to have the most interesting stories.
  • edited November 2012
    Chronic marijuana use does seem to go hand in hand with a particular personality type, doesn't it? Although to be fair I have known a few chronic (several times a week) users who you probably wouldn't identify unless they told you, the former seems to be the most common type.
    The amount of PhD students I know who smoke weed pretty much nightly would probably startle you. My friend wears cardigans with bowties and makes Facebook status about his favorite p-chem findings of the week, and he's easily the biggest smoker I know--he's also a genius, full stop.

I feel like weed is just like alcohol in this regard; that is, it's one thing to enjoy a scotch before bed each night, but it's another thing to seek to be drunk all the time.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • To be fair I think "PhD" students is a pretty narrow, self selecting demographic... ;-)
  • Aye. Most of my friends are masters or PHDs. This results in all kinds of personality anomalies that are rather unlike "the real world."
  • Of course my normal morning commute of NPR has a relevant article for those who do live in Washington or plan on visiting.

What Are They Smoking In Seattle? Check Out Police Dept.'s Guide To Pot Use

I shall no partake in anything until I know it's ok by my employer.

My previous experiences for over a decade ago have been full of fun, except for the time where I consumed too much that it gave me a bronchial infection/build up of mucus to where I was sick for a week.
  • To be fair I think "PhD" students is a pretty narrow, self selecting demographic... ;-)
    Easy now. I'm just being honest: I know a lot of very, very intelligent and successful people who enjoy weed. On of the most successful physicians I know is high whenever he's not working; he owns four houses, works two days per week, and both he and his boyfriend make six figures.

There's responsible marijuana use just like there's responsible alcohol use; the circumstances differ, but they're both fairly harmless as a luxury in one's free time. Speaking culturally, I think opinions like Rym's will be the biggest obstacle to the federal government not suing the shit out of Washington and Colorado. So-called "stoner culture" (which I assume is what Rym is referring to w/r/t chronic marijuana users) is easily the dumbest thing on earth, and it does so much more harm than good.

Though, for the sake of clarification: If Rym's talking about the archetypal "stoner" as someone he avoids like he avoids hobos, I agree 100%.
  • edited November 2012
    If Rym's talking about the archetypal "stoner" as someone he avoids like he avoids hobos, I agree 100%.
    My brother was one of those for many years. I can attribute most of my success in life by learning from him what not to do. No plan on stopping now.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • I am a light-to-moderate drinker of alcohol. People who drink much more than me tend to be intolerable.

Marijuana is no different than alcohol in my mind for purposes of discussions like these. I have about the same opinion of both.
  • I think there's a class issue here, too. Stoner culture is pretty damned common in the lower and lower middle classes, most probably because escapism tends to be more desirable to those groups. Legalizing across the board has impacts for a whole spectrum of the population, not just the most responsible representatives at the "top".
  • edited November 2012
    I am a light-to-moderate drinker of alcohol. People who drink much more than me tend to be intolerable.

Marijuana is no different than alcohol in my mind for purposes of discussions like these. I have about the same opinion of both.
    We're on the same page, then.
    I think there's a class issue here, too. Stoner culture is pretty damned common in the lower and lower middle classes, most probably because escapism tends to be more desirable to those groups. Legalizing across the board has impacts for a whole spectrum of the population, not just the most responsible representatives at the "top".
    True, but I don't think class should be a factor in this debate. Also, present projections put an ounce at $5 once dispensaries are established in WA, which means less economic burden on the lower class for their escapism.

It's a net positive, unless you actively desire that the lower class waste their money on overly-expensive black/grey market luxuries.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I think there's a class issue here, too. Stoner culture is pretty damned common in the lower and lower middle classes, most probably because escapism tends to be more desirable to those groups. Legalizing across the board has impacts for a whole spectrum of the population, not just the most responsible representatives at the "top".
    So it's the Budweiser of the drug world?
  • I live in the Netherlands, where weed is legal, and I have never met a stoner, nor do I encounter weed regularly, even though there are plenty of coffee shops nearby.

That is, until I went to the one city where coffee shops were closed down to prevent drug tourists. Suddenly, street dealers.
  • The one time I tried it, I fell the fuck asleep. Hard. Deepest sleep ever.

I'll stick to beer.
  • The economic burden isn't what I think is concerning, it's the social burden. We already lack adequate rehabilitation resources for alcoholics, and now we'll be introducing another avenue. Granted, marijuana addicts exist either way, but with legal blessing we might strain already existing infrastructure. I'm not sure it's a zero cost change. Taxes from marijuana sales should be at least partially reserved for the purpose of addressing this issue (starting with the existing problem and with an eye toward expansion of programs if necessary.)
  • I shall not partake of the marijuana until the feds decide it shall not affect my employment status. Also not until there are good quality controls that prevent it being laced with something evil (like heroine).
    Laced weed is pretty much a straight up myth.