This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Android: Netrunner

Comments

• Damn, my local game store does not have any Netrunner in yet, and confirms that no one is currently playing it there.

Gah,

Stupid small country. (New Zealand)

Have to stick to friends at this stage. Still fun, but it's nice to be tested. Forced to play your best.
  • We're in NZ RIGHT NOW playing netrunner. In a tent.
    Lol, that would be right, wouldn't it... :)

Sheesh.

• edited January 2013
    We're in NZ RIGHT NOW playing netrunner. In a tent.
    People heap shit on our trans-tasman cousins, because there's nothing in the country deadlier than sheep, but they breed them a little strange over there. Watch yourself. Back me up here, Ren.

Post edited by Churba on
  • Unfortunately, not a lot of gaming stores in our area, and the ones that are close aren't running Netrunner. I am going to try to teach my friends how to play this weekend, and maybe try to convince them to pick up a copy.
  • edited January 2013
    Unfortunately, not a lot of gaming stores in our area, and the ones that are close aren't running Netrunner. I am going to try to teach my friends how to play this weekend, and maybe try to convince them to pick up a copy.
    That's exactly my position too. I feel like a damn preacher, but it's for THEIR OWN GOOD. They MUST see the light.

Eh, I may just buy them all a copy. The law of reciprocity is a powerful tool, if wielded correctly.

Either that, or they will just feel obliged to play if I buy them a damn copy :)
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • I don't have the funds to buy other friends copies, but there might be a couple of them that I can convince to buy it. I think it may work better since its not a ccg, so it's not as big of a money sink, and everyone is on the same level, and there is the ease of getting in early.
  • I don't have the funds to buy other friends copies, but there might be a couple of them that I can convince to buy it. I think it may work better since its not a ccg, so it's not as big of a money sink, and everyone is on the same level, and there is the ease of getting in early.
    It's still a money sink because you have to buy at least a data pack every month ($15). But it's not as much of a money sink as a CCG. It's actually not much more expensive than keeping up with Dominion.
  • True, but as of now, it's $60 to be at the same level of cards that I have, versus getting into a new ccg and spending that kind of money. Little to no non-magic or non-minis community around here makes it hard to get into such things when even friends can't make the investment.
  • Fun fact: Jeremy (neocloud) has never purchased any of the Netrunner he currently owns.

/sugarmommaRo
    You guys need to scale some really fucking tall mountain, and then take a picture of you two playing Netrunner at the peak. Because reasons.

Or maybe one of those tents that you anchor to a cliff. That'd be pretty boss too.

• First person to post a pic of Netrunner being played on a roller coaster wins the internet.
  • First person to post a pic of Netrunner being played on a roller coaster wins the internet.
    That's tough with a card game.

• edited January 2013
    First person to post a pic of Netrunner being played on a roller coaster wins the internet.
    That's tough with a card game.

Well, it would be "faked". Glue cards to rubber mat, roll up mat. Sneak it onto coaster...

• These are the people playing in NYC.

• edited January 2013
    I watched that one last night. Lol at the end... :)

Fuck it's scary being corp. You are SO vulnerable early game.

Netrunner seems to have 3 distinct phases.

1. Early game - Corp has minimal defenses. Runner can run with impunity.
    2. Mid game - Corp has set up a variety of ICE. Starts to push through agendas. The runner may still not have a full rig , a full set of ice breakers or a healthy economy.
    3. End game - The runner has a full rig, good econ and can (with a little bit of planning) smash through most servers. Corp needs to set traps, bluff and just try to push through their last 1 or 2 agendas.

At least that's my experience.

Runner early game, then strong corp mid game, and finally back to the runner.

Although phase 3 can also go to the corp if the runner fails in getting a rig or econ. Quite possible if the corp is aggressive. Trashing programs, doing damage, traces etc.
  • The main thing I see is that the early game has a lot of variation. Sure, the corp has minimal defenses, but it doesn't need much. Enigma and Wall of Static can completely shut down a runner's early game if they can't get the icebreakers out.
  • edited January 2013
    The main thing I see is that the early game has a lot of variation. Sure, the corp has minimal defenses, but it doesn't need much. Enigma and Wall of Static can completely shut down a runner's early game if they can't get the icebreakers out.
    Yep, that's true, but even if corp ICE's up R&D and HQ (with ICE that the runner cannot break), they still need to start a remote server and DO something. Will they have THREE pieces of unbreakable ICE? And even then, it's only 1 deep.
    Every turn, corp draws a card... Every turn, more chance of an agenda in hand.. Even if you had unbreakable ICE in hand, would you slam them down on your central servers? Might be better to make a safe remote to house an agenda. Leaving your central's open to attack. I still think the runner has the early game. Generally.
  • I've almost finished my runner desk. I just really, really enjoy playing Corp.
  • Jeremy and I now own each of our own copies of each released set. It's taking me forever to build a deck.

I think I'm going to go Haas-Bioroid for Corporate because the new identity card is solid. As for Runner, I'm thinking Shaper.
  • Shaper is kind of generic, but fun. Plus, a lot of their early ICE breakers maintains their strength for the entire run, not just against a single piece of ice.
  • Shaper is kind of generic, but fun. Plus, a lot of their early ICE breakers maintains their strength for the entire run, not just against a single piece of ice.
    Almost everyone I've played mixes up the ice types per server, so it rarely helps all that much.
  • edited January 2013
    I would not play this game unless I could also be in costume while playing it. Not because the game sounds bad, because it sounds right up my alley, but being in costume makes everything more fun. If I could wear a suit, tie and funky tech glasses while playing corporation, I would consider that a day well spent.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • I would not play this game unless I could also be in costume while playing it. Not because the game sounds bad, because it sounds right up my alley, but being in costume makes everything more fun. If I could wear a suit, tie and funky tech glasses while playing corporation, I would consider that a day well spent.
    I greatly appreciate shtick like this, and plan to incorporate at least a little bit of it myself. Other players don't seem too into it, but whatever.

• Scott, you mentioned something about webcam playing. Would the webcam be focused on the cards, I assume?

I may have a deck set up to play with by the weekend.
  • If you have an external webcam, you would point it at your cards. Your opponent will point it at their cards as well, and it will be just like being at the same table!
  • Scott, you mentioned something about webcam playing. Would the webcam be focused on the cards, I assume?

Yeah, just point the cam at the cards. As long as you can trust people not to cheat it should be fine. The only problem is for certain cards like parasite that get installed onto opponent's ice. In those cases, the opponent can just get a parasite card from their own box.
  • If I can play with you guys over webcam, I'll start playing. As soon as I finish editing Hardboiled, so I don't have 100% of my time occupied by game devolpment, just 75% or so :P

Yeah, just point the cam at the cards. As long as you can trust people not to cheat it should be fine. The only problem is for certain cards like parasite that get installed onto opponent's ice. In those cases, the opponent can just get a parasite card from their own box.
    Iv'e played MTG over a cam with a friend, it works fine because you both don't cheat. Cams point down (from a stand) directly or near directly over the cards, and you just chat a lot and announce everything. So less visual, the cam is more an aid, you are really talking the game out. At least that was our experience, skype was not HD when I played, is it now? That would be sweet.

• edited January 2013
    Scott, you mentioned something about webcam playing. Would the webcam be focused on the cards, I assume?

Iv'e played MTG over a cam with a friend, it works fine because you both don't cheat. Cams point down (from a stand) directly or near directly over the cards, and you just chat a lot and announce everything. So less visual, the cam is more an aid, you are really talking the game out. At least that was our experience, skype was not HD when I played, is it now? That would be sweet.

Google Hangout has a better webcam chat than Skype.
    Post edited by Coldguy on