This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Android: Netrunner

Comments

• Google Hangout huh? At any rate, as long as you know the cards, any video chat will work fine. A blurry card is still recognizable to both players. As long as you say what it is when you play it :)

Just talk lots.
  • Technically, if we do this on a wider scale, we can host an online tournament of sorts.
  • Technically, if we do this on a wider scale, we can host an online tournament of sorts.
    People are already holding tournaments using OCTGN. The problem is that playing online not for serious is OK using any method. If you have a tournament, you need proper software. OCTGN is not even close.

• edited January 2013
    So my first game with my custom built Haas-Bioroid deck was alight. Jeremy wasn't finished making his Runner deck, so he just put all the Criminal deck cards into a deck with some neutral cards.

We both made some mistakes due to it paying attention to some of the rule as well as not fully understanding the abilities of some cards.

One instance, the first Ice in my hand was Chum and I needed to protect a server. Little did I realize that if there are no other Ice after Chum, Jeremy could access the server it was protecting because the subroutine fizzles.

I ended up winning due to forfeit and it was getting late. The Criminal deck is mainly built on attacking HQ, so I had 3 Ice protecting it: 2x Ichi 1.0 and a Sherlock 1.0. Jeremy had a Crypsis with 2 virus counters along with a Femme Fatale. He then played Account Siphon, spent clicks and credits to bypass my Ice to have me lose 5 credits and giving him 10 credits in return and 2 tags.

It was a pretty nice run, but then I played Closed Accounts.

Yeah. Jeremy was not happy with that move.

All in all, I need to playa few more games and then see what cards worked and didn't work, then reconfigure the build. I was using the new Haas-Bioroid card that gave +1 strength to all Bioroid ice. I'm going to use the core one next time to the 1 credit instead.

Tomorrow, I'll work on my Runner deck with the new Shaper identity card that already has a base +1 link to it.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I thought the new Shaper identity card was +1 memory, and was in Cyber Exodus which isn't out yet. Is it?
  • Oh I was wrong. It's the core Shaper card.
  • Taught 2 friends how to play last night. Success! They love it.

Also, Cell Portal is confusing as hell for new players!

I got Cell Portal wrong as well. You have to keep paying for it.

Yeah, it's basically a 5 cost END THE FUCKING RUN. You can't break it, it's got 7 strength! The subroutine almost doesn't matter!

5 credits, KEEP OUT.

Seems fair.... :/

• edited January 2013
    Taught 2 friends how to play last night. Success! They love it.

Yeah, it's basically a 5 cost END THE FUCKING RUN. You can't break it, it's got 7 strength! The subroutine almost doesn't matter!

5 credits, KEEP OUT.

Seems fair.... :/

Take a dangerous ice like a neural katana, then follow it with chum, then cell portal. Never let yourself go below 5 credits. 10 is better. They'll basically never go to that server unless they use the Femme Fatale on the cell portal, or use a leech to destroy it or something. I had a guy put a cell portal in front of HQ, and he used it to destroy all his credits when I used account siphon.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Odd random rules question: If playing against the starter Jinteki and you steal the last agenda but have 0 cards left, do you still win?
  • Odd random rules question: If playing against the starter Jinteki and you steal the last agenda but have 0 cards left, do you still win?
    Yes if you get 7 agenda points you win immediately. The damage comes after the game ends, so it doesn't happen.
    Yes if you get 7 agenda points you win immediately. The damage comes after the game ends, so it doesn't happen.
    Ah, I didn't know this either. Thanks!

Cell Portal: Isn't it still better to leave it at the back of the server? On the off chance the subroutine DOES trigger? And so that the runer has to spend bits, breaking the ICE in front THEN hitting the mother of all road blocks?

Ah, I didn't know this either. Thanks!

Cell Portal: Isn't it still better to leave it at the back of the server? On the off chance the subroutine DOES trigger? And so that the runer has to spend bits, breaking the ICE in front THEN hitting the mother of all road blocks?

Uh, yes, that's what I said.

Damage dealing ICE -> chum -> Cell Portal -> Server
  • edited January 2013
    That's just evil. I think I may do that.

Edit: Don't forget to check the FAQ/Rules update/Errata on Fantasy Flight. Some nice updates to help you with certain cards that seem confusing.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Ah sorry, when you said "follow" I thought you meant the natural progression of laying ICE down on a server, ie. Katana, followed by Chum, followed by Cell.

Of course you lay Cell first.

• I can't find the answer in the rule book. Are runners able to use abilities on agendas? For example: Mandatory Upgrades - you have an additional click to spend each turn. The rule book states that agendas are active in the score area, and the runner must steal agendas if revealed, and any text after "when you steal..." must be resolved.
  • No. Agendas only have powers when scored. Runners don't score agendas, they steal them. If there is something that happens with a stolen agenda, it will explicitly say "when stolen".

I like how the game uses a distinct word for each thing to be completely explicit. Runner deck is the heap, corp deck is R+D. No room for ambiguity.
  • Ok, I wanted to make sure. Also, runner discard is the heap, the deck is the stack.
  • Ok, I wanted to make sure. Also, runner discard is the heap, the deck is the stack.
    Pretty much everything in the game has a unique term. Runner's hand is the grip. Corps hand is HQ.
  • I wonder if PAX East will have any Netrunner events. That will be cool. I also think that cosplaying as Kate would be easy and cool. I can probably find some goggles and make the fingerless gloves. I could do a partial cosplay.
  • I'd love to see a Wunderkind cosplay.

"Have you met Dinosaurus?"
  • Jeremy and I were talking about that card last night. The MU chip bonus is nice, but you can easily get that and more with other hardware cards.

As for building a Runner deck, the rules don't necessarily recommend how many program/icebreakers to have in a deck. I try to keep my deck between 45-50 cards. I'm thinking at least 15 cards should be ice breakers. Thoughts?
  • Jeremy and I were talking about that card last night. The MU chip bonus is nice, but you can easily get that and more with other hardware cards.

As for building a Runner deck, the rules don't necessarily recommend how many program/icebreakers to have in a deck. I try to keep my deck between 45-50 cards. I'm thinking at least 15 cards should be ice breakers. Thoughts?
    There is no set number of ice breakers you should have. Maybe you've got the aformentioned tutor that lets you go get an icebreaker from the stack. In that case, you need less of them. Maybe you are using an anarch deck where your entire strategy is to use parasite to destroy ice. In that case, you might not need any breakers. If you are doing a straightforward shaper, you probably need a few of each kind.
  • Yeah, I'm doing a straightforward Shaper. I know there is math involved with the probabilities of drawing an icebreaker, but I'll just play around with it by playtesting more and more. My Shaper deck wasn't drawing the right kind of icebreakers, but I also messed up by not playing that one Shaper card that gives icebreakers all the types. I could have easily done better knowing that.

My Haas-Bioroid deck did quite well vs. Jeremy's Anarchy deck. He was able to take 2 of my agendas that were trashed because I couldn't get ice out in time to protect it. I also had to trash several ice and other cards. I also had to take two turns to purge all his damn virus counters. However, in the end, I was able to get enough good ice out with a large credit pool to be able to win and have enough to rez any of my meaty ice. Adonis Campaign (I think that's the name), is a pretty nice asset. Jeremy didn't attack it, which probably sealed the deal for me to win.
  • Yeah, that card that gives an icebreaker all types for the rest of the turn is tinkering. You want those.

The first few times I played with Alex and Rym the corporation could not lose. It's because we were not playing properly as runner. If the corporation plays an economy card like melange, adonis, etc. you have to kill that shit. Pad campaign is not as bad, but killing it is good anyway. Remember to kill the adonis after they use it once. It costs 4 to res, they get 3, then you kill it and they end up losing a credit as well as losing the click they used to install it. If you kill it while it is not rezzed, they just lose the installation click.

Always remember one click = one credit. You want to make your opponent waste clicks and credits while getting more of them for yourself. These are the kinds of maths you have to do.
  • Pretty good commentary videos from the NYC meetup.

• The other advantage to that base card looks to be the lower minimum deck size.

I've still only played a handful of games with the base set. Havn't tinkered with anything else yet.
  • edited January 2013
    The other advantage to that base card looks to be the lower minimum deck size.

I've still only played a handful of games with the base set. Havn't tinkered with anything else yet.
    That is EXACTLY her advantage. Minimum 40 means a slightly more focused deck but COMBINED with leaving her influence cost at 15 you can run a higher ratio of out of faction cards than other decks.

Basically, she could be pretty scary if someone works out how to use her.

Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • The other advantage to that base card looks to be the lower minimum deck size.

That is EXACTLY her advantage. Minimum 40 means a slightly more focused deck but COMBINED with leaving her influence cost at 15 you can run a higher ratio of out of faction cards than other decks.

Basically, she could be pretty scary if someone works out how to use her.

Did not notice that. Oh shit.