This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Guns!

1202122232426»

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Be prepared to have to buy their ammo.

Also Bringing your own target sheets and cardboard to back your targets would be a good Idea.

Edit: Also if you have nicer hearing protection (ear pro, or the like) Bring that because they'll either have ear muffs from 1985 or the crappy foam inserts.
    Post edited by spikespiguel1 on
  • Ah, that's good advice.

Also, I think it's funny that the guns they have to rent are .22. I don't think I've shot .22 since middle school. The last few rifles I shot were 7.62.
  • edited January 2013
    Did you call? Because it says they have the usual rigmarole of Baretta, Glock, Sig and so on under rentals.

Also don't doubt the fun of a .22, it's good fun on the cheap.
  • What did I just watch?

Also, I'm thinking of going to a range in Manhattan, but I've never been to an indoor range before (or gone to a range without my own guns). Anything I should know?
    Just the normal safety rules.
  • Okay getting a little over $1k back from tax return, any recommendations for 9mm possible concealed carry pistols?
  • Okay getting a little over $1k back from tax return, any recommendations for 9mm possible concealed carry pistols?
    What state are you in, and what type of handguns are you familiar with?

• edited February 2013
    I shot some of the slim Kahr line and they were ok, or maybe something in a Sig they have some nice sub compacts.

I wouldn't suggest anything in a Glock, or 1911 since even the compacts still have the same girth which kinda defeats the purpose of conceal.

Edit: yea Drunken Butler is right, we need that info too, What's your philosophy of use?

Edit:Edit: Also my tax return is going to be ok as well, has anyone seen a Microtech Halo V on line?
    I've had my eye on a Ruger LC9 for a while, though I don't have and firsthand experience with it. I do love those little Sigs too but they're usually pretty expensive and some kind of seem too nice to carry haha

I wouldn't suggest anything in a Glock, or 1911 since even the compacts still have the same girth which kinda defeats the purpose of conceal.
    They are kind of chunky but the nice thing about the subcompact Glocks is that once you put a bigger mag with a grip extension you've basically got a full-size Glock which is nice when you're just shooting for fun.

While I do like some of the smaller 9mm pocket pistol designs, the fact that many of them aren't meant to be shot all that much other than occasional practice and (hopefully never) self defense kind of annoys me. That being said, a lot of companies do have good customer service for repairs and whatnot so that's probably not that big of a deal.
  • edited February 2013
    They are kind of chunky but the nice thing about the subcompact Glocks is that once you put a bigger mag with a grip extension you've basically got a full-size Glock which is nice when you're just shooting for fun
    Yea that's true, you were smart enough to think or recreation too, talk about bang for your buck. (maybe I shouldn't make suggestions while buzzed)

Also the .380 is a good cartridge, especially if it's for self defense. I know the pistoles that take it don't always take full advantage of the gas expansion, but it'll still work fine at the ranges for self defense.
    What state are you in, and what type of handguns are you familiar with?

Kentucky, which requires a permit for concealed carry, but open carry is allowed (still not gonna do that). I'm most familiar with 9mm parabellum, having grown up with a Walther and a Browning Hi Power my father owned. I want something more like the Walther, and really interested in the SLIM 709 by Taurus.
  • I'm considering getting some sort of .22 revolver as my first pistol, but I have some considerations. How much difference is there between .22 magnum and a higher power .22lr like CCI Velocitors and whatnot? I'd really like one with interchangeable 22lr/magnum cylinders but if there isn't that much difference then I won't factor that in so much.

Side note: Ruger, why must you make the .22 magnum LCR only have 6 shots? And you should really give the option to get a .22lr cylinder with it as well.

With all that in mind, any recommendations? Used is definitely an option too. I was considering the Heritage rough rider since its a poor mans single six but I'd really like it to be double action, and I'd like to be able to just swing out the cylinder to reload rather than manually eject the spent casings individually. I mainly want it as a cheap fun gun but self defense is a factor, if only a small amount.
  • I'm thinking a .22 is also an option for myself, though I'm looking into pistols right now.
  • I mainly want a revolver rather than a semi-auto because of reliability. I just want to be able to shoot the cheap shit without worry about cycling issues. That being said, I would like one of those little Taurus Beretta clones. And speaking of which, I just checked the prices of those and even they have increased in price quite a bit. Last I checked they were like $150ish and now they're around $260.
  • My dad really likes the Taurus 941 I bought him. He says It's fun to shoot and has satisfying pop.
  • Can it swap between .22lr and .22 Magnum, or are they separate models?
  • Not to my knowledge. That was the best suggestion I could pesonaly make. I haven't heard much on a pistol that can take both cartridges.
  • I'm considering getting some sort of .22 revolver as my first pistol, but I have some considerations. How much difference is there between .22 magnum and a higher power .22lr like CCI Velocitors and whatnot? I'd really like one with interchangeable 22lr/magnum cylinders but if there isn't that much difference then I won't factor that in so much.
    .22 WMR 40gr Maxi-Mag = 312 ft-lbs at the muzzle
    .22LR 40gr Velocitor = 183 ft-lbs
    .22LR 32gr Stinger = 191 ft-lbs
    .22LR 36gr Mini-Mag = 127 ft-lbs

The Mini-Mag represents the average energy of high velocity .22LR and a .22WMR is quite a substantial difference. I have a convertible Ruger Single Six and a .22 mag feels more like a .38 special than a .22. Has some recoil and a loud pop to it.
    Side note: Ruger, why must you make the .22 magnum LCR only have 6 shots? And you should really give the option to get a .22lr cylinder with it as well.

With all that in mind, any recommendations? Used is definitely an option too. I was considering the Heritage rough rider since its a poor mans single six but I'd really like it to be double action, and I'd like to be able to just swing out the cylinder to reload rather than manually eject the spent casings individually. I mainly want it as a cheap fun gun but self defense is a factor, if only a small amount.
    You're not going to find a convertible revolver in a swing out configuration. The reason you have guns like the single six being convertible is because the colt peacemaker design they're patterned after had a easily removable center axle that allowed you to take out the cylinder for cleaning. If swing out revolvers worked like this, your cylinder would fall off when you were trying to reload it.

My advice would be to forget about using this gun, whatever you get, as a defensive gun. Defensive hand gunning is the most advanced of hand gun skills. Start out with a .22LR, semi or revolver and just shoot the crap out of it. I love my Ruger Single Six, the bullets go right where I'm pointing it, and it doesn't barf on certain kinds of ammo like a semi-auto can.

When you're really proficient, then you can ponder learning defensive hand gun skills. But fair warning, the odds are not in your favor if you ever have to use a gun to defend yourself. You need to train regularly as it is a perishable skill and even then if you aren't lightening quick you'll probably get shot and seriously injured if not killed.
  • edited May 2013
    Its stupid but I want one of these. image image
    "A company called Florida Discount Guns Inc. have developed a concept pistol carbine conversion stock kit which would accommodates two separate pistols at the same time. The idea is that if one pistol jams or the magazine runs empty, there is a backup."
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/01/29/never-empty-double-gun-nedg-carbine-stock-for-two-pistols/
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on