This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

It's handegg season

Comments

• I personally like the older ones myself.
    I agree, the shape is nice for this but too much bling to be blinded with.
  • edited June 2013
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • WTF. The Georgia Dome is not old! According to Wikipedia it opened in 1992! 21 years? Really? Giants Stadium lasted 34 years. Shea Stadium lasted 44 years. Taxpayers of Atlanta and Georgia are getting fuuuucked.
  • Goatse?
  • Goatse?
    Oh right. I should have said that they are tearing the taxpayers a new asshole.
  • WTF. The Georgia Dome is not old! According to Wikipedia it opened in 1992! 21 years? Really? Giants Stadium lasted 34 years. Shea Stadium lasted 44 years. Taxpayers of Atlanta and Georgia are getting fuuuucked.
    Giants Stadium really didn't need replacing either, for that matter.
    Giants Stadium really didn't need replacing either, for that matter.
    TRUTH.

• Giants Stadium really didn't need replacing either, for that matter.
    TRUTH.
    Yeah, I've never been there in person, but from all the games and such I've seen there, it looked like it was in excellent condition and had a very respectable capacity of around 80K people or so. I feel like building the new stadium was purely a cash grab for the Giants' and Jets' ownership via that whole "personal seat license" BS. About the only semi-legitimate complaint I heard about it was that it really wasn't friendly to the Jets as co-tenants due to the Giants-based color scheme, locker room arrangement, and so on. However, I'm pretty sure all of that could've been rectified without having to build an entirely new stadium.

The only cases of new football stadiums being built in recent years that I feel can be justified are pretty much the replacement of all the 70's era cookie-cutter stadiums (Three Rivers in Pittsburgh, Riverfront in Cincinnati, etc.) that tried to work for both baseball and football and sucked at both as well as replacing the old Foxboro Stadium with Gillette Stadium. Foxboro Stadium, even when it was built back in the 60's, was an el-cheapo dump that was basically an overgrown high school stadium and not a proper pro football stadium. Props also go to Robert Kraft for paying out of his own pocket for building Gillette Stadium instead of forcing the city/state to do so, although, admittedly he did ask for road and infrastructure improvements (which, frankly, were necessary and probably not even sufficient even after the fact) before doing so.

I have no idea offhand how MetLife Stadium was financed, so I'm not going to make any judgments about it.
  • As someone who lives in Foxboro, I can tell you that Rt. 1 (and really that whole side of town) basically cannot keep up with the Pats, especially now that there's also a mall there. Basically, the entire Northwest side of the town might as well not exist on game days. Hell, even my part (on the other side of town) doesn't fair that great, and we get a fraction of a percent of the traffic.
  • As someone who lives in Foxboro, I can tell you that Rt. 1 (and really that whole side of town) basically cannot keep up with the Pats, especially now that there's also a mall there. Basically, the entire Northwest side of the town might as well not exist on game days. Hell, even my part (on the other side of town) doesn't fair that great, and we get a fraction of a percent of the traffic.
    Hey, I live in the next town over, and I know all about the traffic problems. I often schedule travel and errands around Pats games as a result of the Rt. 1 situation. It was worse when I actually had to commute along Rt. 1 and I had to change my route home from work when there was a Monday night game.

From what I heard, though, it was even worse before Gillette was built.
  • You guys with your stadiums are all so cute.
    Opened in 1956? How adorable. Not football, but I'll raise you this.
    Sure, it's old. But it's not nearly as nice to visit as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrigley_Field

People will go hang out there even if there's no game.
    Sure, it's old. But it's not nearly as nice to visit as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrigley_Field

People do the same at Fenway, so I don't see your point. :)

Given the games, it's probably better that way.
  • Sup haters
    You can't play that game against anyone in New England.

Also, /thread
  • Also, /thread
    I'm sorry, what you were saying?

Thought of that one, but it's pretty meh by comparison. Not much seating really.
  • Also, /thread
    Thought of that one, but it's pretty meh by comparison. Not much seating really.
    Nicer views, though. More agreeable climate, too.
  • Also, /thread
    Nicer views, though. More agreeable climate, too.
    Also no longer used as an active stadium (okay, it hosted Olympic shot put in 2004, but that shouldn't count). Otherwise, we'd have to include stadiums like this into the discussion as well.
  • Cool rape joke bro
  • edited June 2013
    Speaking of awesome stadiums:

NFL.com Must-see Stadiums

#1 Represent. I've only been to the CLINK once and it was at a fully catered suite. So awesome. So very awesome.

I just realized the joke they put on there.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Interesting data about criminals on NFL teams from /r/nfl

http://imgur.com/a/n7yg7#fJeoSLs
  • edited June 2013
    I guess I didn't click even more over and CLINK is #2. Still good.

Also NFC West "seems" to have straight arrow type players.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Adam Rank is a semi funny guy but his football knowledge is suspect at best. I hate to take a swing at a man who lives only a city over from me but, how the $)@$ is Lambeau Field not on the list?! It's only the oldest stadium in operation in the NFL.
  • You have to click over one more. The first #1 is a joke.