This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

It's Apple Day

edited September 2013 in Technology
It's Apple Day, again. Here's your link for live coverage.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/8/4708072/live-coverage-apple-iphone-5s-5c-event-cupertino

Use this thread for all future Apple Days.

Comments

• Use this thread for all future Apple Days.
    How will I search for it a year from now?

• I already know what's coming :3
  • Use this thread for all future Apple Days.
    How will I search for it a year from now?

Just make a new thread and wait for Scott to close it with a link to the original thread.
  • I already know what's coming :3
    *gasp* don't we all.
  • edited September 2013
    If they think that having a bunch of different color shells is going to stop them from continuing to lose market share, they are fools. They'd better has something else up their sleeve.

Also, I predict the rumored updates to Apple TV will be yawn-inducing, not enabling the device's full potential.

Edit: although based on the invite graphic (the "this should brighten everyone's day" image), there is one that is just a grey ring with a clear inside. Are we getting 80's-retro see-through electronics?!
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Hah, 5C stands for "Crocs"
  • I heard there would be pie. :/
  • 5C = 5 Cheap

5S = 5 'Spensive
  • Well so far, the processor, the camera, and the fingerprint recognition are all fairly impressive.
  • 2DS just got fucked. No way a parent buys a 2DS over 5C
    Unless the kid wants to play real games instead of $.99 shovel ware.
  • I honestly don't get the argument that's being made there. If a parent is prepared to bear the recurring cost of a monthly contract and data plan, I would be shocked if a $100 drop in the up front cost is suddenly going to have them running to the store.
  • edited September 2013
    2DS just got fucked. No way a parent buys a 2DS over 5C
    Except for the $500-$600 price difference.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Well so far, the processor, the camera, and the fingerprint recognition are all fairly impressive.
    But not so crazy you absolutely need them. The camera is the only one that's super super nice. Yet again the pattern continues. 5S comes out, 5 still good. When 6 comes out 5 and 5S will both be obsolete. As long as the way of the US is two year contracts, get on the right cycle. No S iPhones. Round number only.
    But not so crazy you absolutely need them. The camera is the only one that's super super nice. Yet again the pattern continues. 5S comes out, 5 still good. When 6 comes out 5 and 5S will both be obsolete. As long as the way of the US is two year contracts, get on the right cycle. No S iPhones. Round number only.
    Or just every 2 years your phone is out of date and you're on the whole number cycle rather than the S cycle.
    Or just every 2 years your phone is out of date and you're on the whole number cycle rather than the S cycle.
    Uh, that's what I said. Get whole numbers only.
    Uh, that's what I said. Get whole numbers only.
    I'm saying the S is a valid cycle too, you just aren't on that one.
    5C is $99. However, they will pay the extra money in data plan prices. Although any parents buying one likely already have a data plan.
  • edited September 2013
    I'm totally with George on this one. The jumps for the non-S phones are a bit sweeter, but it's a huge stretch to say the people on the S generation are holding 100% obsolete phones for half of their contract. If you can get on whole numbers, do it, but it's not a HUGE deal.
    Post edited by Matt on
    5C is $99. However, they will pay the extra money in data plan prices. Although any parents buying one likely already have a data plan.
    I'm thinking in straight up unlocked prices, which they may not even offer initially.
  • As predicted, the Apple TV news was underwhelming!
  • The 3GS had a slightly better camera, CPU, and GPS than the 3G. Not a huge deal.

The 4 had a retina display. A huge fucking deal.

The 4S had a faster CPU, better camera, and siri. Not a huge deal.

The 5 had LTE. HUGE DEAL.

The 5S has a better camera, a fingerprint reader, and a faster CPU. Not a huge deal.

iPhone 6 has...
  • We've been over this every time. I disagree and I'm done discussing it. That is all.
  • The 3GS had a slightly better camera, CPU, and GPS than the 3G. Not a huge deal.

The 5S has a better camera, a fingerprint reader, and a faster CPU. Not a huge deal.

iPhone 6 has Rainbow Dash
  • edited September 2013
    I hope iOS 7 doesn't make my iPhone 4 slow down.
    Post edited by Sail on

iPhone 6 has...
    Let's not forget that the 3GS let you record video. A huge feature! It also debuted the sexy fingerprint and scratch-resistant coating that all iPhones since have had, so another minor update in the 3GS's bucket.

Lastly, if someone is on the S-generation cycle, they probably had the original iPhone. That one year where iPhone smoked its competition while everyone was on Blackberrys or dumbphones was definitely worth it.
  • edited September 2013
    The 3GS had a slightly better camera, CPU, and GPS than the 3G. Not a huge deal.

iPhone 6 has...
    Let's not forget that the 3GS let you record video. A huge feature! It also debuted the sexy fingerprint and scratch-resistant coating that all iPhones since have had, so another minor update in the 3GS's bucket.

Lastly, if someone is on the S-generation cycle, they probably had the original iPhone. That one year where iPhone smoked its competition while everyone was on Blackberrys or dumbphones was definitely worth it.
    Except the 3G was a HUGE update over the original iPhone. 3G. Not being a piece of shit. etc. Have you even seen an original iPhone lately? It didn't even have apps when it came out until the 3G update.

Got 3G day it came out.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I'd rock a 5S...especially if the new Nexus is over 5"s. >_>
  • We are going down some strange paths here. Of course the iPhone looks like shit today! It also looks a lot better than the Motorola RAZR and SLVR everyone else was sporting at the time.

Getting that 3G must have been nice. Having to switch it off whenever you were in a crowd or in the city must have been nice too (remember how bad things used to be?). And as you said, original got apps the same day that 3G did.
  • edited September 2013
    It's almost like technology advances over time, and that things look a lot different looking back as opposed to looking at the time you're in. Whoda thunk it.
    Post edited by Churba on