This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Anti-GamerGate Appreciation Thread (Daikun Free Zone)

Comments

• Also lol for comparing her to someone who was so aggressive that he got DISBARRED.
  • I wouldn't call it sexism; however, it is very much character assassination.

With that being said your opposition to this piece happens within the first five minutes. Watching the rest of the video there's very little (if any) insulting "Five Guys" references thrown her way. While I wouldn't necessarily *agree* with the piece, I don't see the overt sexism you're talking about.

Semantics, though. This video is about as vile as political character assassination ads get.
  • This is still a thing?
  • edited October 2014
    LordKaT said:

I wouldn't call it sexism

The sexism comes from the language used and the history of targeting women associated with video games that has been going on explicitly within the last two years. I hate to be "that guy" by using this argument but exemplifying promiscuity almost exclusively occurs with females. Individual people may take umbrage equally among the sexes but it has been the case for years and years that females being promiscuous is viewed much differently than males being promiscuous. Pointing it out explicitly while also saying he "doesn't take offense with" is the most bullshit underhanded attack ever.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • MATATAT said:

The sexism comes from the language used and the history of targeting women associated with video games that has been going on explicitly within the last two years. I hate to be "that guy" by using this argument but exemplifying promiscuity almost exclusively occurs with females. Individual people may take umbrage equally among the sexes but it has been the case for years and years that females being promiscuous is viewed much differently than males being promiscuous. Pointing it out explicitly while also saying he "doesn't take offense with" is the most bullshit underhanded attack ever.

Hm. I have not been a part of that conversation, nor have I particularly noticed it. Could you provide an example or two for me? I tend to stay away from the consumer-facing side of the gaming industry as I've grown disenfranchised.

I have focused entirely on the business side of video games, and through my interactions have come to dislike gaming journalism on a larger scale. My last interaction with the consumer-facing world before this whole GamerGate nonsense happened was telling Stephen Totillo to go fuck himself.

So, you can imagine that I'm coming from a very biased point of view here.

My take away from that video wasn't so much Zoe's promiscuity rather than Nathan's promiscuity in exchange for positive press. This presents me with an ethical dilemma.

On one hand, I have made many connections within the gaming press, and almost all of them I have burned the bridges of as I really do dislike the industry as a whole. Of my time trying to make my way inside that world, I have been asked to do things I would not think to do otherwise, in exchange for "meeting the right people."

On the other hand, I don't think Zoe should be slut-shamed.

Thank you for shining that light on the sexism of the video, as I previously didn't see it, nor did I understand that this was going on in the gaming industry. I'll have much to think about on this topic.

Still, fuck all of you for misdirecting my original question.
  • edited October 2014
    The closest I could find to Intel being misogynistic is an articles claiming Intel buckled to misoginists, and are misogynists by proxy. I'll keep digging for anything more accurate.
    Post edited by ThatGent on
  • The perception that it was "buckling to misogynists" comes primarily from the fact that the complaint campaign was organized by misogynists.

The main rallying page for the complaint storm was here:
    https://github.com/GamerGateOP/GamerGateOP/tree/master/Operation Disrespectful Nod

The entire thing wouldn't have happened without the mass-organized email complaint campaign documented there. That's where they put it together and acted to flood the complaint channels at Intel.

That site is basically Shitlord Ground Zero.
  • edited October 2014
    HAHAHAHAHAHA.

It's the replies I'm mainly referring to.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited October 2014
    To be fair, the "Gamers are dead" articles were pretty bullshit, half lashing out at an audience turning on them, half a declaration that they're definitely not part of the vile bastards this controversy has brought out of the woodwork en masse, but Intel still fucked up pretty bad right there. Just because the articles were bad, isn't a good reason to hitch your wagon to the shower of fuckwits in the Gamergate mob.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • God, I wish I didn't spend the time to figure out what this story is about, now I just feel dirty.
  • That's how I felt yesterday when looking up more stuff in regards to #NotYourShield . I still am fuzzy, but I am sad about it.
  • The same folks behind the Intel thing are trying to organize a mass vetting of "feminist papers." They're transparently trying to get as many taken down or retracted as possible.

https://twitter.com/search?q=#OperationDiggingDiGRA&src=tyah

Seems like an oddly specific target - feminist papers - for a movement that isn't about anti-feminism or misogyny...
  • It's only in response to the obvious misandry put on them because they are such an oppressed demographic. They need to fight "the woMAN".
  • http://www.everyjoe.com/2014/10/06/news/interview-adam-baldwin-gamergate-politics-ranger/
    Wait Gamergate was coined by Adam Badwin, awwww, Jayne why you have to be so cray cray.
  • Someone quoted him as saying "Gay marriage will lead to incest" which made me lol.
  • A little bird pointed me at a livestream Gamergate "open forum" the other night, following on from this whole thing.

Those people are... I don't want to call them morons, but...

They were really into conspiracy theories about Nikola Tesla. And they seem to be mostly angry about "SJWs ruining gaming" with almost no actual discussion of anything related to journalism.
  • But gaming journalists are all SJWs and work together to ruin our videogames by taking away our digital women.
    Obviously.
  • Most SJW stuff is just an attempt to prevent flame wars but now people have a term for it.
  • Everyone knows that the man was keeping Tesla down so that we couldn't have solid 3D holograms of our waifus (who have no interest in social equality, and don't call me a pig for saying that, IT'S PART OF THEIR CULTURE, DAMNIT, as is walking around naked all the time) by now.
  • So um turns out Shadow of Mordor basically tried to contractually obligate positive coverage and running coverage by them before publication - and gamergate is still bitching about those darned SJWs ruining all our games and destroying journalistic ethics.

Not a peep about buying coverage.
  • Churba said:

So um turns out Shadow of Mordor basically tried to contractually obligate positive coverage and running coverage by them before publication - and gamergate is still bitching about those darned SJWs ruining all our games and destroying journalistic ethics.

Corruption is OK when people we liked are corrupt.
  • Neito said:

Churba said:

So um turns out Shadow of Mordor basically tried to contractually obligate positive coverage and running coverage by them before publication - and gamergate is still bitching about those darned SJWs ruining all our games and destroying journalistic ethics.

Corruption is OK when people we liked with penises are corrupt.
  • The "gamergate" "movement" is so utterly transparent in its true motivations that I am literally amazed anyone intelligent has fallen for it. I guess Putin totally didn't invade Crimea too...
  • This editorial: http://www.firstpersonscholar.com/we-will-force-gaming-to-be-free/

It's a good editorial.
    The ideology-of-no-ideology inherent to “consumer revolts” acts as an additional layer of insulation against self-reflection, making it even easier to avoid conducting moral inventories of one’s behaviour. If you believe you are fighting for something “objective,” for something you are owed (like a demanding restaurant patron expecting hand-and-foot service because she’s a “paying customer”) rather than a malleable philosophical principle, it is especially difficult to dissuade you from destructive actions. If you are merely pursuing your entitlements in an economic contract exchange, what use have you for morality? Save the one moral that says you must get what you are owed, of course.
  • Debating these kids on twitter, I find that the few who aren't just obvious sockpuppets are, on the average, pretty dim. They're surprisingly unable to respond to even basic criticisms and don't seem to be able to form rebuttals.
  • edited October 2014
    It's simply folded in on itself - GamerGate is obsessed with two things, GamerGate and their "Battle" against their chosen stalking horses(which they're "winning"), and SJW's being the cause of all the world's ills. They're not even good at it, it's all just basically "I know you are(because of insane troll logic) but what am I?" combined with "Your arguments are all just straw-men and other logical fallacies I got from wikipedia, why don't we sit down and talk about this instead, because obviously you'd be on my side if I just explain it to you and you understand. Obviously if you just understood, you'd be on our side."

Edit - It's also deeply funny that they've taken up Milo Yiannopoulos as a champion for their cause of Journalistic Ethics, when he's most famous for starting a small tech site called The Kernel - which was generally awful, and was basically just a giant scam.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Don't feed the trolls guys...
  • Don't feed the trolls guys...

Ignoring them gives them power over people who don't recognize them for what they are.

Don't ignore them. Feed them. Feed them the way you feed poison to an invasive rat colony.

(Memetic poison, not real poison...)
  • Rym said:

(Memetic poison, not real poison...)

Oops.