This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX EAST 2015

Comments

• I am debating if I want to bring a bag with me this year given that there will be bag checks at the door.
  • Am I crazy or is there no opening keynote?
    http://east.paxsite.com/schedule
  • It's called Storytime now.
  • Are we doing a GroupMe this year?
  • Jordan O. said:

It's called Storytime now.

Because Scott got them reading I Want My Hat Back? :p
  • Are we doing a GroupMe this year?

Not that I know of.
  • I'm in TT looking for people who want to play Channel A. Near the game check out area.
  • Any recommendations for Friday night events?
  • Superfights is happening near TT HQ.
  • I attended the excellent, if under-attended, "The Gatekeepers are Gone" indie RPG panel featuring Vincent Baker. Luke Crane was in the back of the room making fun of them the entire time. It was excellent and I took copious notes.
  • Here are the games I saw at PAX East that had something exciting going on.

Of course, there is only one VIDEOBALL

http://videoball.net/

If you liked Papers Please, you'll like VA-11 HALL-A: Cyberpunk Bartending Action

http://waifubartending.com/

I played One More Line during my bus ride home.

This is more interesting than Flux.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/161417/red7

And as far as two player games, Morels is almost as good as Lost Cities.

http://www.amazon.com/Two-Lanterns-Games-Morels/dp/B00CS41TQ0
  • edited March 2015
    Hm. A Carl Chudyk game where I don't have to put cards in various places around a mat? That feels wrong. Is there at least ridiculous card interaction?
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • That bartending game did def look pretty cool.
  • Hm. A Carl Chudyk game where I don't have to put cards in various places around a mat? That feels wrong. Is there at least ridiculous card interaction?

It is Carl Chudyk co-designed with Chris Cieslik, so it's half Carl card game, half We Didn't Playtest This At All.

• edited March 2015
    Seconding Red 7, probably my favorite Non-Giant Robots game I was introduced to at PAX. It's a very tight game, which is really weird considering it was published by Asmadi.

Also highly recommend AEGIS if you like wargames, its got a really cool approach to the usual army composition rules and there are few enough units per side to keep it accessible. Sadly, the current production values are kind of garbage, so I'd wait for the Kickstarter.
    Post edited by belkalra on
  • VA-11 HALL-A looks great. Videoball is still great. Watching YIIK with interest.

I mostly played some well-loved tabletop games - lots of Tzolk'in, Wizard, and Red7. Tresi got us into a Fiasco while I was barely awake.

I also saw this monstrosity a few times:

@Sellak @Peeardee @cwgabriel @Dabe @TychoBrahe you should all come to the Westin mezz and check this out image

— Too Many Craigs (@TheAggroCraig) March 7, 2015
  • I tried out One More Line after seeing Scott post about it. On the surface it looks so much like my jam, but I'm not that into this one.
  • Matt said:

I tried out One More Line after seeing Scott post about it. On the surface it looks so much like my jam, but I'm not that into this one.

Really? I'm hooked way more than I usually am.
  • Still looking for the LOL skin code that was not in the goodie bag.
  • HMTKSteve said:

Still looking for the LOL skin code that was not in the goodie bag.

I don't think there was one this time because Riot really decreased their presence. All they had was a cosplay lounge or something.
  • There was, but it was just Arclight Vel'koz. They also gave out Riot Kayle, but only at their panels.
  • Apreche said:

HMTKSteve said:

I don't think there was one this time because Riot really decreased their presence. All they had was a cosplay lounge or something.
    No, there was a second skin code only available from Riot staff.
  • HMTKSteve said:

Apreche said:

HMTKSteve said:

No, there was a second skin code only available from Riot staff.
    Riot Kale.

I doubt anyone who got that is not going to use it.
  • Unless they managed to get an extra.
  • Apreche said:

Matt said:

I tried out One More Line after seeing Scott post about it. On the surface it looks so much like my jam, but I'm not that into this one.

Really? I'm hooked way more than I usually am.
    I played about 50 rounds of it, and I'd get into the 40s consistently, but I didn't feel like I was getting much better with time. I tend to go into a real flow state with these kinds of games (a great soundtrack like Meatboy or Super Hexagon helps), but with One More Line, I kept feeling like I was permanently reacting a moment too late due to never really getting in a groove. It's a fine game, and I'm just as surprised that I didn't enjoy it more. The last mobile game like this that really got hooks into me was Duet, around this time last year.

I've still got a huge boner for Just Shapes & Beats. I managed to play it again on Sunday morning and oh man. Cannot wait to do 4-player with this when it comes out.

• I can get in a groove on One More Line now that I figured out you want to release more horizontally than vertically. The problem is that I always get hosed by the same thing.

Sometimes you grab on and swing around only to smash into the next ball because the length of your current rope is equal to the distance between your current ball and the next one. This is pretty much unavoidable, especially when the next ball isn't even on screen yet.

So even when I get in the perfect groove, I can't get beyond the low 100s. Sometimes I die ridiculously early due to bad layout.
  • I gave it another shot and was doing better after I realized it works better when you barely let go, and swing on every single dot. I might have stuck with it but fuck these ads. I started getting ones that you could not back out of. 10 second videos and such. I would rather pay. Googlr gives out free Play credits like candy. I have $20-something bucks saved up from their little surveys. Need something worth spending it on! Maybe I'll get Nueroshima Hex expansion armies.
  • On iOS I paid to make the ads go away.
  • An hour wait for a sandwich, an hour wait for a piss, and 40 min wait to check out a game in tabletop? Fuck these people. They have been to PAX every year since 2010, yet have written a troll-level review of the con.

Their podcast was even worse. They compare to Gen Con and say how that is a "con" because it is a place where you really get to do things and connect with friends, so PAX should only be referred to as an "expo" because it's just about seeing new products and shopping. Yeah, because Gen Con is the place where people pay for VIP expo access and line up early, then trample each other racing to booths to buy games. Yup.
  • Looks like some people have yet to figure out the South Station food technology.