This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Real Life Cooking Mama: Share Your Cooking Projects!

Comments

• edited February 2015
    According to the Q/A section on Amazon the first set does not have a high enough iron content for induction. Same goes for the manufacturers website: http://www.cuisinart.com/products/cookware-comparison.html

The Wolfgang Puck set looks to be good for an induction cook top.

This is the only Calphalon piece I currently have : http://store.calphalon.com/calphalon-tri-ply-stainless-steel-12-in-stir-fry-pan/299010

Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Why not give cast iron a try, it's cheap-ish and will definitely have a high enough iron content.
  • The Cusinart posted above is pretty good I have 2 of those pots.

my direct experience is mostly in "arm and leg" territory.

I was going to recommend Scanpan then checked the current prices.

There are some reasonably priced Calphalon sets but I've never personal experience with the brand.
  • I made orzotto
  • My kind of cooking

• Dazzle369 said:

My kind of cooking

I'm pretty sure an advertisement for a telecommunication company doesn't belong in the thread about dishes that forumites cook.
  • Since none of my local friends want the aluminum skillet I got with my Calphalon set I have decided to keep it and use it in the oven. Now comes the hard part, most of the recipes I am finding for cooking chicken in a skillet ate for stove top cooking with a lot of fiddling with the food as it cooks. Anyone have some links to skillet chicken recipes that I just toss in the oven for 30 minutes?
  • sK0pe said:

Dazzle369 said:

My kind of cooking

I'm pretty sure an advertisement for a telecommunication company doesn't belong in the thread about dishes that forumites cook.
    I know. Just saying, my personal cooking experiences have involved powertools. This is like... ambitions.

• Good old fashion comfort food on a snowy day. Homemade chicken and biscuits, all from scratch. I cobbled it together from a variety of recipes. image
  • For a lark I made some calzone-like things.

Baked a chicken breast in olive oil. Shredded it with two forks. Rolled out some pizza dough and put the chicken and some mozzarella cheese in the middle.

I tried to close it up neatly but... Yeah... One came out looking like a pork bun and the other looks like a pizza omelette.

I will take the pork bun looking one to work for lunch tomorrow.
  • HMTKSteve said:

pizza omelette

I mean, isn't that what a calzone is?

• HMTKSteve said:

pizza omelette

No. Omelettes are made with eggs; calzones are made with dough.
  • I was referring to the shapes.
  • On further reflection I think I made strombolis not calzones.
  • Daikun said:

HMTKSteve said:

pizza omelette

No. Omelettes are made with eggs; calzones are made with dough.
    Har har har.

• My first attempt at combining meat with heat ended up being beef stroganoff with spaghetti.

Skipped out on the mushrooms and sour cream and opted in for some dried fruit.
    Casualties included were a non-insignificant amount of noodles that I neglected to stir while tending to the meat.

This has thoroughly convinced me that any situation can be made better if it's been thrown in a pressure cooker for long enough.
  • Chris and I are going to attempt to make a chicago deep dish pizza using only what's currently in the house. Wish us luck. Pics later if the mission is deemed a success.
  • The mission was successful! I give you buffalo chicken deep dish pizza!

• Fuck! I want buffalo chicken pizza SO MUCH.
  • Fuck! I want buffalo chicken pizza SO MUCH.

Then make one.
  • edited March 2015
    Daikun said:

Fuck! I want buffalo chicken pizza SO MUCH.

Then make one.
    Allergic to chicken. I mean, I COULD do it, but it's inadvisable.

EDIT: One of these days, I'm just gonna take the plunge and buy frog from the local Asian market. Chicken substitute FTW!

Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Allergic to chicken.

You are allergic to chicken AND pork?

Holy shit, what gods did you piss off?

• Frog legs are good but kind of weird also. It's like chicken but there is kind of this fishy aftertaste to it also.
  • The mission was successful! I give you buffalo chicken deep dish pizza!

It never occurred to me use a cast iron skillet to bake a pizza. I like it.
  • It never occurred to me use a cast iron skillet to bake a pizza. I like it.

Anything that's deep is the best way to cook a pizza.
  • The cast iron did work really well for this.
  • Andrew said:

Allergic to chicken.

I thought my mammalian meat allergy was bad but damn!!!
  • Andrew said:

Allergic to chicken.

It's actually all poultry. Chicken is what appeared on the skin panel test, but completely unscientific testing has shown me that duck and turkey also make me react.

Still got beer.

• Andrew said:

Allergic to chicken.

It's actually all poultry. Chicken is what appeared on the skin panel test, but completely unscientific testing has shown me that duck and turkey also make me react.

Still got beer.

That's pretty crazy, so no poultry or pork.

Can you have veal?

• Veal is beef, so yes. It's a pretty reasonable pork substitute, especially in sausage.

Beef, lamb, goat, fish, amphibians, crustaceans - these are all fine.