This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Wednesday - One Punch Man Preview

One Punch Man - the anime TV series - is about to air. We here on GeekNights have watched one episode (poorly subtitled and badly bootlegged) to confirm that it is everything you could ever have hoped it to be. Descender (Jeff Lemire) is out, as it the latest Saga trade. Rym and Emily are deeply into the surprisingly human Bojack Horseman. Tons of old Streamline dubs of 90s OAVs like 8 Man After are just hanging out on youtube.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• Did not know Senpai Club was up to episode 3 now. It's perfect.
  • Had to Google Lucite. Surely all calls it Acrylic?
  • I think I watched a couple episodes of Bojack Horseman and it reminded me a bit too much of something like Family Guy. I also didn't find it particularly funny ever.
  • I listened because I was excited to have confirmation that One-Punch Man was going good, and I'd not heard that the opening was by JAM Project. This is going to be so good.

Also, you guys were wrong about how saving anime works. Sure, Kill la Kill saved anime when it was on, but anime always needs to be saved. Which is why we should be excited for One-Punch Man to save anime for the fall season.
  • I listened because I was excited to have confirmation that One-Punch Man was going good, and I'd not heard that the opening was by JAM Project. This is going to be so good.

Also, you guys were wrong about how saving anime works. Sure, Kill la Kill saved anime when it was on, but anime always needs to be saved. Which is why we should be excited for One-Punch Man to save anime for the fall season.

I stand by what I said. Anime is already saved. It's walking around healthy. It doesn't need saving unless it gets sick again. As long as it makes shows like One Punch Man, that time won't be soon.

• Anime is literally the only home video market that actually grew last year (and it grew 10%) every other genre of physical entertainment big time shrank.
  • I'm interested in one punch man in a way I haven't really been with anime for a while.
  • edited September 2015
    Just watched the leaked first episode. Those subtitles are best subtitles. Also I am even more hype for this now.
    Post edited by SuperPichu on
  • Also, I might possibly give BoJack a second try. According to Wiki the first half of the first season got shit reviews and people didn't really seem to like it. Since I only watched like the first 3 episodes that would put me right in that group. Second half of season one was better reviewed and season 2 is supposed to be much better overall.
  • I feel that Bojack Horseman could be a really good drama, but it is constantly undercut but it's really bad, repetitive humor. There's always a moment where it wants me to feel for a character's circumstances or depression, but the writers keep reminding me how sitcom-stupid the plots are or how oblivious the characters are to their own faults. The writing is incredibly hamfisted.

Bojack would not have lived if it was actually broadcasted on a network because you have to watch the whole thing at once to really like it. And I lost all the sympathies I had for Bojack with the end of Season 2.

To put into perspective, We Bare Bears and Rick and Morty have had single episodes that have way more emotional punch and character development than BOTH seasons of Bojack Horseman

I'll be looking forward to One Punch Man.
  • Watched the first episode. I was thoroughly entertained. It's so absurd. I think it made fun of no less then nine or ten anime in the first ten minutes.

Rorschach's Journal. September 13th, 2015: Waifu carcass in alley this morning, katana cut on burst hug pillow. This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The forums are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their moe and harems will foam up about their waists and all the weeaboos and narutards will look up and shout "Save us!"

... and I'll whisper "desu."
  • As if we needed more proof that Senpai Club is amazing, they just posted a video showing how they recorded the 80s-style opener. These guys are way pro.

• Where does the money come from to make Senpai Club?
  • Apreche said:

Where does the money come from to make Senpai Club?

Patreon now, thinking about it...
  • Dinner served with a little.... punch

• World's greatest plate confirmed.
  • edited October 2015
    I would serve up sunny side up eggs on his eyes a slice of bacon for the nose. Half a biscuit for his mouth. Ketchup for the eye brows. One Punch special.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • I would serve up sunny side up eggs on his eyes a slice of bacon for the nose. Half a biscuit for his mouth. Ketchup for the eye brows. One Punch special.

I would serve up some crab... lante.
  • Apreche said:

World's greatest plate confirmed.

• Slightly disappointed with episode 4. They seem to have toned down the gore. How can you yell out "Wicked Sick" if it isn't sick...
  • Dazzle369 said:

Slightly disappointed with episode 4. They seem to have toned down the gore. How can you yell out "Wicked Sick" if it isn't sick...

If you're watching primarily for the gore, you are going to be very disappointed.
  • edited October 2015
    Apreche said:

Dazzle369 said:

Slightly disappointed with episode 4. They seem to have toned down the gore. How can you yell out "Wicked Sick" if it isn't sick...

If you're watching primarily for the gore, you are going to be very disappointed.
    I am not. However it was a consistency in the animation, in the episodes so far.
    Post edited by Dazzle369 on
  • Dazzle369 said:
    I thought of this, but my face is too stubbly. I'd have to like, wax my face or some shit.
  • Apreche said:

Dazzle369 said:
    I thought of this, but my face is too stubbly. I'd have to like, wax my face or some shit.
    Not even a barbershop shave? Damn.
  • Churba said:

Apreche said:

Dazzle369 said:
    It's not that my stubbliness is too extreme. It's that Saitama is 100% bald. Not a hair on his entire body. I wonder if he has problems in his butt-crack area as a result.
  • Apreche said:

Churba said:

Apreche said:

Dazzle369 said:
    It's not that my stubbliness is too extreme. It's that Saitama is 100% bald. Not a hair on his entire body. I wonder if he has problems in his butt-crack area as a result.
    I admire your dedication, but I don't think you have to go that far.
  • edited November 2015
    Churba said:

Apreche said:

Churba said:

Apreche said:

Dazzle369 said:
    I admire your dedication, but I don't think you have to go that far.
    It would look weird. But actually some sort of makeup could make it work. The costume covers the rest of his body, so it's not like I would have to shave my arms or anything.
    Post edited by Apreche on