This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

In search of beta Geeknights...

Comments

• Apreche said:

H|ttp://stuff%20that%27s%20really%20not%20obfuscated%20at%20all/obvious%20file%20name.mp3

That's not helpful. Starting to think you guys may have lost them yourselves

• Apreche said:

H|ttp://stuff%20that%27s%20really%20not%20obfuscated%20at%20all/obvious%20file%20name.mp3

That's not helpful. Starting to think you guys may have lost them yourselves

If you use common sense about what the url would be, it's not hard to figure out. Hey aren't lost. There they are now!
  • I just had to do some fixing up on the server which happens to host, among other things, the beta episodes. Confirmed they are still where they have always been. At URLs that anyone can hit if they simply type in the write series of characters into their browser's location bar.
  • I mean, you can crack AES if you simply type the right series of characters into your terminal.
  • Starfox said:

I mean, you can crack AES if you simply type the right series of characters into your terminal.

There's no encryption. You just have to know the URL. It's not even obfuscated.
  • Yeah, and you just have to know the encryption key. Nobody knows the stupid URL.

http://NOBODYKNOWS.COM/NOBODY/KNOWS/20051030.mp3
  • Whoever figures it out and listens to them will be a guest on a Thursday episode of GeekNights.
  • Apparently I was too verbose and quotey, and my post needs to be approved.
  • edited May 2015
    Apreche said:

I just had to do some fixing up on the server which happens to host, among other things, the beta episodes. Confirmed they are still where they have always been. At URLs that anyone can hit if they simply type in the write series of characters into their browser's location bar.

Asking for clarification: are the forums that predate the FRC still up as well? Or just the beta episode files? Is looking for said forum even still a worthwhile thing to do in trying to locate the files?
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Eryn said:

Apreche said:

I just had to do some fixing up on the server which happens to host, among other things, the beta episodes. Confirmed they are still where they have always been. At URLs that anyone can hit if they simply type in the write series of characters into their browser's location bar.

Asking for clarification: are the forums that predate the FRC still up as well? Or just the beta episode files? Is looking for said forum even still a worthwhile thing to do in trying to locate the files?
    That forum is not live. Even if it was, it was registration only, so you wouldn't see anything. It's just the mp3s that are live. Hint. Starts with http://www., ends with .mp3.
  • Good to know, thanks.

As I think I understand it, Emily said earlier in the thread they aren't on a domain you own, but you also say you're able to go in and fix things on the server they're on. So I take it that means they're under a URL for a site you help host, but don't run? Won't ask for a hint on which domain it might be; just want to confirm whether I understand this right or not.
  • Eryn said:

Good to know, thanks.

As I think I understand it, Emily said earlier in the thread they aren't on a domain you own, but you also say you're able to go in and fix things on the server they're on. So I take it that means they're under a URL for a site you help host, but don't run? Won't ask for a hint on which domain it might be; just want to confirm whether I understand this right or not.

How would they be on a domain I don't own? How is that even possible? Who is hosting them for me?
  • RIT has sometimes left student accounts open for a long time, and you can get stuff hosted there. But that's not obvious, 'cause we'd need to know your extremely arbitrary RIT account, which has a random set of numbers in addition to your initials.
  • Axel said:

RIT has sometimes left student accounts open for a long time, and you can get stuff hosted there. But that's not obvious, 'cause we'd need to know your extremely arbitrary RIT account, which has a random set of numbers in addition to your initials.

GeekNights did not exist while we were at RIT. We didn't start it until late 2005 while living in Beacon.
  • Apreche said:

Eryn said:

Good to know, thanks.

How would they be on a domain I don't own? How is that even possible? Who is hosting them for me?
    gomidog said:

ALSO: It was not on a domain we owned. It was one someone else's domain.

• Apreche said:

Axel said:

RIT has sometimes left student accounts open for a long time, and you can get stuff hosted there. But that's not obvious, 'cause we'd need to know your extremely arbitrary RIT account, which has a random set of numbers in addition to your initials.

GeekNights did not exist while we were at RIT. We didn't start it until late 2005 while living in Beacon.
    Again, RIT can keep your student account open past graduation, and sometimes do accidentally. So you could've found you still had access and stored stuff there.

• There's also sites like archive.org that would be happy to host files for you.
  • Does the server at least have a domain name?
  • Axel said:

Apreche said:

Axel said:

Again, RIT can keep your student account open past graduation, and sometimes do accidentally. So you could've found you still had access and stored stuff there.

I've searched their RIT web pages (Their usernames were pretty easy to find using Google), and they're not there.
  • M'kay.
  • edited May 2015
    Apreche said:

Eryn said:

Good to know, thanks.

Like I said, it was something Emily said (see ninjarabbi's quote). I assumed that maybe you might be helping to host a site/domain for a friend (which I've seen done plenty before), which would mean you might have access to said domain on your server without technically being the domain's owner.

I'm guessing if that's your answer, though, then Emily and all the other FRC types must have just been referring to the domain of the old forum, not the domain where the episode files are. That's all I needed to clarify, thanks.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • edited May 2015
    Edit: wrong window
    (how is there no delete button?)
    Post edited by belkalra on
  • It's sad that I used to know where this was but have since forgotten it :-p
  • With a hint from the Patreon, I believe I have found some of the beta episodes. Five that predate the 31 October 2005 start date.
    Scott: (Indistinct.)
    Rym: All right. Blah blah blah testing testing.
    Scott: It works. It still goes way off the edge!
    Rym: (Moving microphone noise.) Because you sit way far away and I sit kind of close.
  • Oh shit I think I just found them too. I can't believe I never tried that.
  • I bet its something like googleling 'old episodes of Geeknights'.
  • edited October 2015
    Will only say this: I apparently got SUPER close a few times over the last seven years(!) by finding a particular place, but I never took the next logical step beyond that once I got there.

Seriously, I am kicking myself.

...while listening to Scrym talk about Jack Thompson (JAAAACK THOMPSON)

EDIT: Also big thanks for the lead, okeefe!
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Eryn said:

...while listening to Scrym talk about Jack Thompson (JAAAACK THOMPSON)

*high five*
  • *internet detectives high five*
  • Was the Patreon hint something on the Patreon page or a hint from something sent to Patreon subscribers?