This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Patreon Launches

After 10 years of podcasting 2-4 nights a week, with well over a thousand episodes and hundreds of lectures and panels, we're ready to take GeekNights to the next level.

GeekNights Patreon

We can continue to fund and produce the podcast as-is for many many years to come. But as you may have noticed, our other projects (like the Utena analysis show, tabletop livestreams, appearing at more cons, etc...) have stalled. While we hope to continue them as we can, plodding at our current slow pace, for many of you that wasn't good enough. This is your chance to push us to action on all the things we do around the podcast. Check out the patreon page for more details.

Source Link

Comments

• Remember the fatal flaw and avoid it: if you want people to co tribute then give them a reoccurring gift. As in only incentive things you can do each month.
  • For those of you who have asked the "but aren't you guys rich?" question:

We are, but that's because we're working full time. GeekNights and everything else we do has to fit in the tiny cracks between money-job and sleep. That's a big part of why we cut GeekNights back to 2 nights a week a few years ago. It was either continue 4 a week and never do anything else, or cut back and start making other things.

The Utena show? Radio Free Equestria? That FNAF video I made? The secret project that the backers already saw a preview of? Actual games?

It costs time and money to make those. We can do a podcast forever, funding it entirely on our own, and that's fine. But we want to do a lot more than that. If I could, I'd make a "GeekNights Presents" for Steven Universe, Adventure Time, Bojack Horseman, Evangelion, etc... as fast as I could crank them out.

So, that FNAF video is a good example. To actually make that took an entire day of video shoot, easily 20 hours of footage gathering and playing (to test mechanics and theories), a good 40 hours of pre/post-production. That work had to be crammed into a few hours a night for a long time. That's why FNAF3 came out before I finished a video analysis of FNAF 1.

GeekNights the podcast is a hobby. Anything more will trickle out with shoddy production values at a snail's pace unless we fund it.
  • Shut up and take my fiver, Rym.
  • Shut up and take my fiver, Rym.

• Rym said:

The secret project that the backers already saw a preview of?

Wait, is the long-rumored Project ST being realized?
  • The secret project is a thing we're doing for **** ***** and ***** ********.
  • Another big reason for this is that Patreon is actually how most people find podcasts these days...
  • Rym said:

Another big reason for this is that Patreon is actually how most people find podcasts these days...

Source? I find that surprising.
  • Hm... I went the other way, and discovered both Patreon and Kickstarter through podcasts, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn I'm not the norm.
  • Do people actually go and surf Patreon looking at stuff? Man, kids these days.
  • I have no idea, I'm 25 my girlfriend is 21 and half the stuff she comes out with is gibberish. Her sister is up visiting, I just smile and nod its much safer.
  • Matt said:

Do people actually go and surf Patreon looking at stuff? Man, kids these days.

I tried, because I was curious to see if there was anything I didn't already know about that I wanted to support. But as far as I could tell you can't just click on a category and see everything listed, you're only shown the "featured" ones.
  • Last chance to submit questions for the November Q&A. Every submitted question will be answered.

https://t.co/d7Ts7RRgyq
  • Rym said:

Last chance to submit questions for the November Q&A. Every submitted question will be answered.

https://t.co/d7Ts7RRgyq

When you pay, you get what you ask for, just like a genie granting wishes. We have a lot of practice from granting wishes in D&D.
  • Rym said:
    You should make a (patrons only) RSS feed for these.
  • Scott should start his own GeekNights Patreon that doesn't email me every time there's a new episode of GeekNights.
  • Chris Reimer is such a cheapskate. What is he giving you, fifty cents?
  • okeefe said:

Scott should start his own GeekNights Patreon that doesn't email me every time there's a new episode of GeekNights.

That's Patreon's settings on your side, not mine.

• Rym said:

okeefe said:

Scott should start his own GeekNights Patreon that doesn't email me every time there's a new episode of GeekNights.

That's Patreon's settings on your side, not mine.

Oh hey, I can disable "free" posts. Brilliant!
  • Matt said:

Chris Reimer is such a cheapskate. What is he giving you, fifty cents?

It's sorted primarily by donation amount, then by reverse chronological order. I was the second patron, Mr. Poop. :P
  • pence said:

Matt said:

Chris Reimer is such a cheapskate. What is he giving you, fifty cents?

It's sorted primarily by donation amount, then by reverse chronological order. I was the second patron, Mr. Poop. :P
    You are either alpha, omega, or something in between.
  • The November Q&A show is live. We answered every question.
  • Rym said:
    I haven't donated yet. Is it text or video?
  • Daikun said:

Rym said:
    I haven't donated yet. Is it text or video?
    It's an audio show. We just answer all the questions, at length, like a regular podcast.
  • edited December 2015
    Rym said:

The November Q&A show is live. We answered every question.

That fucking (I assume only figuratively) picture.
    Post edited by SuperPichu on
  • Rym said:

The November Q&A show is live. We answered every question.

I'm bring Fury Road for this weekend.