This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Wednesday - One Punch Man Preview

Comments

• Apsup said:

Apreche said:

Dazzle369 said:

Apreche said:

This weeks episode was such a tease.

Sill had some good laughs. Pri-Pri-Prisoner was pretty badass.
    Sure, but if I wanted to see awesome heroes battling the normal anime way, I can watch One Piece or some shit.
    Too bad, that this is what you get from OPM. First it pretends to be normal shounen, when non-Saitama heroes fight monster, and then Saitama comes in as the punch-line.
    I think the one key difference with Saitama from the typical shonen formula comes in at the part of the cycle where they create doubt.

Even junky old Initial D does a decent job of making the viewer question whether Takumi will actually win the next race or not.

But there is never a question of whether or not Saitama will win. Even less question that with Kenshiro. So rather than doubt, you end up just having a lot of laughs when you would normally be having suspense building. When the Sea King (FUCK YEAH!) is beating up on heroes, you're not thinking "OH NO, Saitama may finally have met his match!" You're thinking "HAHAHA this guy is so fucked. It's going to be sooo great when he finally gets punched in the face."

That's the other key right there. In another shonen show, actually seeing the good guy win isn't that exciting. It's like "Goku does win that fight like I thought. OK, as expected." But in OPM you want to witness the act of Saitama punching the bad guys, just like you want to see Big O punch other robots, only moreso.

The secondary genius of OPM is having Saitama be unknown or disliked by the public. Just as much as you want to see him punch bad guys, you want to see him get the recognition he deserves. That's the real conflict he can't just solve with one punch.
  • Apreche said:

The secondary genius of OPM is having Saitama be unknown or disliked by the public. Just as much as you want to see him punch bad guys, you want to see him get the recognition he deserves. That's the real conflict he can't just solve with one punch.

Maybe he has to One Punch Genos...
  • "HAHAHA this guy is so fucked. It's going to be sooo great when he finally gets punched in the face."
    Can confirm, was thinking this.

This week's episode seriously pressed my "Linguo is dead" button, that terrible horrible stress of needing to be somewhere and having a series of mishaps prevent you from getting there. Truly, there is no greater television-watching anxiety. Thankfully, to balance it out, the beautiful bromance I've been waiting for was finally realised! Maybe Saitama can rig up a Mumen Rickshaw for next week.
  • What to do when the world has run out of people to punch?

• When 'that person' steps out into the road without looking up.

"JUSTIIIICE CRASH!"
  • I was busy today, but I finally watched the episode. Sea King (fuck yeah!) done got punched.
  • Time to be cunning
  • There's only one episode left? W T F
  • Apreche said:

There's only one episode left? W T F

Only one season. And that is fine. There hasn't been as good of a final fight since this one, in the manga yet.

I could 100% see Saitama doing that.
  • Apreche said:

6 more OVAs, but I really hope they come back with another longer season. Or longer episodes

Hate this goddam clock!!
  • I hope he punches that clock.
  • Apreche said:

I hope he punches that clock.

• edited December 2015
    Apreche said:

Story of my life
    Post edited by Dazzle369 on
  • Had to create this...
  • Banta said:

I could 100% see Saitama doing that.

I probably laughed harder at that than I should have!

Also, that gif is amazing. I had listened to a podcast earlier this week (Super Best Friendcast) and they talked a bit about this week's episode. They said how sometimes manga doesn't always translate over to anime perfectly but the "debris flying shot" is about as perfect a translation you can get. I hadn't watched the episode yet but as soon as I saw this scene I knew exactly what they were talking about.
  • Anyone else find it odd that everyone treats her like a little girl....and sh'es 28?
  • Anyone else find it odd that everyone treats her like a little girl....and sh'es 28?

She's 28? In the anime she looks and acts like a child.
  • Serious Punch
  • Holy shit I love the new Starbucks cups.
  • So good, so good, so good, so good.........

Seasons 2 can't come soon enough
  • The final episode had some pretty epic animation and events. I love the moon landing and return.
    I want a bunch of desktop wallpapers for each of the ad break animations.
    Also thought Pig God would eat someone.