This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

2016 Presidential Election

Comments

• I like States. The Federal Congress does a lot more stupid shit than the Massachusetts State Legislature, so I'd like to keep them very separate.
  • edited April 2016
    Andrew said:

States play a very important role and I, for one, would never want them to be hobbled in our government.

California is one of the few states that use its authority appropriately. Most state governments just spend their time coming up with inventive ways to ban abortions without technically banning them.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • There's no good reason to allow New York and New Jersey to have different laws for anything transportation-related.
  • Rym said:

There's no good reason to allow New York and New Jersey to have different laws for anything transportation-related.

I agree, it probably makes sense to essentially "redistrict" the states. But the fundamental concept of having states is important.

California is one of the few states that use its authority appropriately. Most state governments just spend their time coming up with inventive ways to ban abortions without technically banning them.

Many state governments were also the first to legalize LGBT marriage, leading the way for a federal decision. They are also leading the way on decriminalizing marijuana, which will likely have lasting impacts on our prison system and the war on drugs. Do states often do bad things? Yes, but we can't have it both ways. It will always be a two-steps forward, one step backwards type of system.
  • rewrite the constitution

Be really careful with that. Part of the reason we still have free speech is that we basically can't rewrite the constitution. Being able to rewrite the constitution would be both really awesome and open Pandora's box of horrors. Which is like the regular Pandora's box, but scarier. There are places than can and do regularly rewrite their version of the constitution, and it comes with it's own problems.
  • Rym said:

There's no good reason to allow New York and New Jersey to have different laws for anything transportation-related.

Yeah the problem isn't the States, it's the lines drawn. Most borders were drawn in the 19th century and are now outdated.
    Andrew said:

Many state governments were also the first to legalize LGBT marriage, leading the way for a federal decision. They are also leading the way on decriminalizing marijuana, which will likely have lasting impacts on our prison system and the war on drugs. Do states often do bad things? Yes, but we can't have it both ways. It will always be a two-steps forward, one step backwards type of system.
    Laboratories of Democracy. How Revolutionary.
  • Rym said:

Indeed. New Jersey is to New York what Rhose Island is to Massachusetts.
  • You mean North Jersey is to New York, West Jersey is to PA and South Jersey is pretty much Delaware. Time to break up New Jersey :-p
  • It must be depressing to live second fiddle to Delaware.
  • Rym said:

A place you go to get dents in your car and cheep beer?
  • Yeah. I still want a structure roughly at that level. I just want to abolish the existing 50 states and draw some number of new ones that actually make sense for America as it is today.
  • Naoza said:

rewrite the constitution

Be really careful with that. Part of the reason we still have free speech is that we basically can't rewrite the constitution.
    That's hardly the case at all, we amended the constitution a bunch until about a decade ago and we just stopped and suddenly it's sacred and untouchable.
  • My knowledge of civics ends with that one class I took for half a year in highschool but I thought every single amendment to the constitution we passed took an overwhelming majority of people/states/whatever votes to push through. Doing any of that today would be basically impossible due to how divided we/the entities that vote are.
  • Neito said:

Rym said:

#1 US food city? Providence.

I'd be all for redrawing states, but MA and CT succckkkkk. (; I feel like we've had this conversation before.
  • Neito said:

Rym said:

#1 US food city? Providence.

I'd be all for redrawing states, but MA and CT succckkkkk. (; I feel like we've had this conversation before.
    Probably. I'm unapologetically pro-MA.

That said, my favorite creperie, coffee shop, and and Italian food are all in Providence, so I can't be too hard on it.
  • you should visit "the salted slate" one weekend for their brunch. $1 donuts fresh mmmmm
  • So the Imperial Wizard of the KKK apparently just endorsed Donald Trump. I really want this to be him actually doing the country a solid. He knows how many people despise his beliefs so what if he knows Trump would be awful for the country so he's intentionally damaging Trumps image by siding himself with Trump. Not that I think that's what happened, but I want to believe.
  • Bernie supporters should take a page out of the yippie playbook and hold a big protest outside the DNC this year. They can call it Berning Man.
  • He doesn't seem to have too many adjectives after "winning" does he?
  • Trump doesn't even use "winning" as an adjective.
  • Trump has tremendous adjectives. The best adjectives, and Mexico pays for them. Lyin Ted has pathetic adjectives. No chance at all.
  • Trump has Indiana by what's looking like nearly 20 points. The Republican primary looks to end a little earlier than expected.
  • Trump is the presumptive nominee as of today.
  • https://www.betfairpredicts.com/
    has Trump at 96% and Clinton at 95%
  • I don't know what will be more delicious to my anarchist tendencies... Trump actually running as the nominee or the GOP fucking him and handing it to someone else. I really think I may be in a win-win on this one.
  • Cruz is out.

Now we see if Trump's campaign really pushes enough Republicans away, or if he can pull together all the crazy racists enough to win the candidacy.
  • One thing Trump could do is take on issues from the Sanders constituency.
  • Good thing I'm already drinking, and that I now own a piece of property where I can hunker down and wait out the coming apocalypse.