This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

2016 Presidential Election

Comments

• I mean, yes, he could. The question is, are enough of Sanders' fans stupid enough to believe that notorious rich guy is going to help America be less about rich people succeeding?

Me think not.
  • They really think that Hillary is some corrupt demon, and that they're better off letting everything burn to push the country toward revolution.
  • Either that or they really think that Hillary is some corrupt demon and Trump will protect them from establishment politics. I've seen both.
  • There is a definite possibility that Trump could pull together a winning coalition, between people who would never vote Democrat, people who are pissed off at foreigners, and people who are pissed off at "the establishment".

The election is still very much Hillary's to lose, but Trump is no joke.
  • There is a definite possibility that Trump could pull together a winning coalition, between people who would never vote Democrat, people who are pissed off at foreigners, and people who are pissed off at "the establishment".

The election is still very much Hillary's to lose, but Trump is no joke.

People dismissed him when he first announced. "No way will he be the nominee."

"No way will he keep getting votes."

"No way will he be the frontrunner."

And now I hear "sure, but no way will he be the President."

Trump is a serious problem, or rather he reflects the existence of a serious problem.
  • I'm not afraid of a Trump Presidency (yet). I'm afraid of what happens after he loses. He's awoken a powerful force and I don't know where it will go.
  • edited May 2016
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • Greg said:

He's awoken a powerful force and I don't know where it will go.

Hopefully straight into jail after they riot.

• I actually predict a trump presidency, and I've begun mentally preparing myself for that nightmare. I get to live under Burlosconi. Now my Italian relatives get to give me a ribbing about knowing what that's like.
  • Now we wait to see how hard Trump pivots.
  • So, pretty much trump or bust at this point for Republicans.

Up until that moment there was an outside chance that the party used their power to trade some of the trust the public holds in the primary system for the ability to give whoever they damn well chose (Kasich) the nomination to go on to the general.

I'm saddened further.
  • They would rather not destroy their racist, white, conservative voting block by actively defying the candidate they chose.
  • Banta said:
    He just wanted to be able to eat a meal without a camera in his face.
  • edited May 2016
    wow, a good amount of my conservative friends are going through the stages of remorse.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Cremlian said:

wow, a good amount of my conservative friends are going through the stages of remorse.

I'm curious if they end up at "acceptance."
  • I don't agree with everything in this song, but in a cycle where the best option is Hillary Clinton, lines like "there's no ballot we can cast to set us free" feel extra true.

• Another great article by Jamelle Bouie: Donald Trump Isn't Going to be President

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2016/05/donald_trump_isn_t_going_to_be_president.html

"Donald Trump begins the general election with a huge deficit in head-to-head polls, deep unpopularity, and major demographic headwinds. Unless he wins unprecedented shares of black and Latino voters, or, barring any improvement with nonwhite voters, unless he wins unprecedented shares of white voters, he loses. And he has to do this while running as the most unpopular nominee in 30 years of polling. He has to do it while running against a Democratic Party operating at full strength, with popular surrogates (including a former president) crisscrossing the country against his campaign. He has to do it with a divided Republican Party. He has to do it while somehow tempering his deep-seated misogyny and racism. All this, again, in a growing economy with a well-liked president—solid conditions for a Democratic candidate."
  • Greg said:

I don't agree with everything in this song, but in a cycle where the best option is Hillary Clinton, lines like "there's no ballot we can cast to set us free" feel extra true.

Do you really find Former Secretary of State Clinton that offensive and oppressive? If so, why?
  • Another great article by Jamelle Bouie: Donald Trump Isn't Going to be President

The more you doubt the Trump, the more likely he'll overcome those doubts.

Stop doubting the Trump, journalists. You're jinxing the election.
  • Greg said:

I don't agree with everything in this song, but in a cycle where the best option is Hillary Clinton, lines like "there's no ballot we can cast to set us free" feel extra true.

Do you really find Former Secretary of State Clinton that offensive and oppressive? If so, why?
    Her aggressive foreign policy and her commitment to expanding government surveillance. She acts and sounds very Nixonian in those regards.
  • edited May 2016
    Maybe but it's really bad for my sanity when reading political threads and the quota of dumb memes I have to put up with.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • z o d i a c

• Now that he isn't distracted by his campaign, no one is safe.
  • Greg said:

Greg said:

Her aggressive foreign policy and her commitment to expanding government surveillance. She acts and sounds very Nixonian in those regards.
    What specific policies or statements? I do not mean this as a challenge; I am genuinely interested.
  • Greg said:

Greg said:

What specific policies or statements? I do not mean this as a challenge; I am genuinely interested.
    Her plan to take on ISIS sounds frighteningly like the preamble to Vietnam. It could work, but at the debates when pressed to ask what she would do if it failed she reiterated her first plan. I don't want us in another land war in Asia, and I can easily see her going that route as plan B. For the spying, I was really disturbed by a statement after Trump said he would shut down parts of the internet. My google fu is failing me for sourcing this, but it's somewhere deep in this thread. She wanted to expand surveillance and used a frightening tone about the freedom of speech concerns, something along the lines of "of course there will be freedom of speech concerns, yada yada..."

There's also a lot of issues she's been vague or unclear about but Bernie had really pressed (like marijuana regulation), but I can't get too mad about her not answering a question no one's pressed her on.
  • I just realized that Trump will be receiving confidential security briefings.

I'd offer a bet on whether he would spill the beans, but I don't think there's anyone dumb enough to take it (except maybe the man himself).
  • Have we started taking bets on who Trump will get as a VP?