This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• edited July 2016
    Truck-Kun knows how to make an entrance.

And what is it with fucking Seo and trucks, goddamn.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Fuck man, I was all set to read his prior work till it twigged on me. I can't go through all that man, just to see it end like that. I really can't. Cut me deep.
  • Amp said:

Fuck man, I was all set to read his prior work till it twigged on me. I can't go through all that man, just to see it end like that. I really can't. Cut me deep.

Hahaha oh it gets so much dumber. It's still enjoyable, but I guaren-fuckin-tee there's some of it that will set you groaning.

I strongly recommend Suzuka and A Town Where you Live, though. They're both pretty good books - apart from his whole habit of injecting drama with all the subtlety of a runaway truck, they're worth reading if you're enjoying Fukka.

Some people bitched about invalidated endings and giving a big fuck you to legacy readers, but that's fucking dumb. Nobody is entitled to happy endings forever no matter what.
  • I just caught up. It felt like a good start to the new ark. That scene at the concert, so powerful. Then all the revelations afterwards. Man this roller coaster. Its hard talking about this in vague terms, might dm you or some shit.

Ah I have seen that, I was going to give it a go but knowing what I know about Kuuka I don't think I can stomach it. All that work and effort.

I think that is the difference. People want manga to have happy ends, they don't want the right ending. Hell I want the happy ending. I want all threads tied up with everybody happy. But that isn't life, which sucks.
  • Well, I suppose the whole thing with Suzuka is that it all goes down 15+ years before the start of Fuuka, and honestly, if you didn't know they were related before you read them, you'd not exactly guess it, it's not big on call-backs and shout-outs. And Suzuka's ending isn't a sad or bad one - really, the only issue is what happens in Fuuka, since they're so tied together, despite being many years apart.

Trust me, it's worth your time. Just give it a little while before you pick it up, let Fuuka settle a little first.

A town where you live is fine regardless though, it's same universe, but mostly unrelated apart from it's last epilogue chapter being basically the prologue chapter for Fuuka.
  • I think I'll have to give it a year to get my head in order and that stuff. Man I saw that in a screenshot. Its to sad man, just seeing her face. Its so dumb.

Also read Collectors to cheer myself up. Its really good, nice and light with a surprising depth thrown in. Only bad thing is it seems either bi monthly or less.
  • Turns out Alexandre Dumas' last name is pronounced exactly the same as 'fuck you' in Vietnamese.
  • Couldn't decide whether this was a thing or a fail so here we go. Last week I was at a musician's retreat in the Catskills called Frets and Refrains. Instructor Jill Sobule tasked her group with making a musical out of The Godfather over the course of roughly 36 hours. I joined them about eight hours before showtime because the seminar I'd gone to the day before sucked, but in those eight hours I wound up conceptualizing and performing one of the better received portions of the show.

[WARNING: WHITE PEOPLE RAP]

skip to 11:50 for my part.
  • Artistic pet peeve: "I don't learn other people's art because it teaches me other people's style and I want to make my own style". Not learning what is already out there is a great way to force yourself into reinventing the wheel. You think Jimi picked up a guitar one day and suddenly he was playing Third Stone From the Sun? That Keith invented open tuning? No, they stood on the shoulders of giants, and so too must we stand on theirs.
  • I've seen that so many time with musicians who don't want to go to school or learn anything, to ensure that their local garage band is "authentic."
  • Rym said:

I've seen that so many time with musicians who don't want to go to school or learn anything, to ensure that their local garage band is "authentic."

They're always the worst ones for sound, too - they're the ones who insist they know how to make their band sound good, mess with your board when you're not looking, ask for the stupid, impossible, or both and otherwise make a fucking nuisance of themselves.
  • I recently bought GoodNotes 4 on my 9.7 inch iPad Pro. Changed my whole note taking game. Stopped using paper and I can also reference the notes from my phone as well. You can have it sync up to other repositories I believe. But it's only useful if you have an Apple Pencil in my opinion. I can't even figure out if you can type notes into it but I'm sure there are better applications for typing notes than this.
  • MATATAT said:

I recently bought GoodNotes 4 on my 9.7 inch iPad Pro. Changed my whole note taking game. Stopped using paper and I can also reference the notes from my phone as well. You can have it sync up to other repositories I believe. But it's only useful if you have an Apple Pencil in my opinion. I can't even figure out if you can type notes into it but I'm sure there are better applications for typing notes than this.

I'll try it. Default Notes app not doing it for me.
  • Apreche said:

MATATAT said:

I recently bought GoodNotes 4 on my 9.7 inch iPad Pro. Changed my whole note taking game. Stopped using paper and I can also reference the notes from my phone as well. You can have it sync up to other repositories I believe. But it's only useful if you have an Apple Pencil in my opinion. I can't even figure out if you can type notes into it but I'm sure there are better applications for typing notes than this.

I'll try it. Default Notes app not doing it for me.
    So I tried a few of them and researched between non-free ones (just because I didn't want to spend 8 bucks on something I wasn't going to be using). To me, the only two that really seemed worth caring about were GoodNotes 4 and Notability. Notability feels a tad more polished and it's biggest gimmick is that you can record audio while you write and when you play back your notes will play out as the audio plays out. It's kinda neat, but I think would probably only be good for lectures or the like where you might be drawing diagrams while the professor talks. I have no use for that. GoodNotes on the other hand tries to do some vector mapping of your handwriting to words and it actually does a pretty good job with it. Because of this you can actually do a text search on your handwritten notes.

Both of these stuck out a lot more than the competition because they had much stronger palm rejection than some of the others I tried. That was a huge thing to me since I've had a lot of apps think I'm trying to move the page or something while the side of my hand goes across it. Goodnotes, Notability, and even some of the free ones I found all have like a magnified section of the page that scrolls while you write. This I found super helpful as I used it more since it allows you to write fairly large but in reality only take a small part of the page up with your notes.

Before this I would occasionally use the Apple Notes app and OneNote. OneNote is okay, but it suffers from being overly complex. It tries to culminate a lot of different types of note taking into one application when all I really need is to handwrite most of the time. The way it tries to sync notes I find to be mostly atrocious as well, but that's mostly due to Microsoft's garbage-ass account model.
  • Bleach is "ending"? It's all just really trolly and weird.

Again?

Again?
    More like still.
  • Bleach is still going?
  • Apreche said:

Bleach is still going?

Not for much longer.
  • Power chord tuning is my new favorite tuning. The one I'm using right now is F2#A2D3F3#C4#F4# where I play melody on A and D, and strum the top three strings when appropriate (and making the 6th string F# just makes it easier to go back to the key). By using power chord tuning instead of conventional open tuning its much easier to control the emotion of the chord because you can manipulate the third more easily.

I feel like a goddamned genius even though this has probably been done a thousand times before that I don't know about.

There's one of the youtube anime set that has a pretty good video on this sort of thing.

• Kubo should've ended it years ago when Aizen was defeated.
  • Daikun said:

Kubo should've ended it years ago when Aizen was defeated.

I basically stopped reading there. I only read it anymore then to see how bad it would get but when he continued after that I couldn't take anymore. Supposedly though Aizen wasn't dead then and he is still pulling strings right now, though don't take my word for that (I'm too disinterested to actually make sure of that though).
  • What happens when you start replying to politics on Twitter.

• edited August 2016
    Thanks to iPad and magic pencil, my doodling to kill time at work has become significantly more... advanced?

Post edited by Apreche on
  • Didn't end up getting new pencils after all then? I like it, that's some pretty pro doodling.
  • Apreche said:

Bleach is still going?

Kinda?
  • Greg said:

Power chord tuning is my new favorite tuning. The one I'm using right now is F2#A2D3F3#C4#F4# where I play melody on A and D, and strum the top three strings when appropriate (and making the 6th string F# just makes it easier to go back to the key). By using power chord tuning instead of conventional open tuning its much easier to control the emotion of the chord because you can manipulate the third more easily.

I feel like a goddamned genius even though this has probably been done a thousand times before that I don't know about.

With my history of snapping strings while tuning, I feel like tightening the 6th string on my guitar up to F# would definitely make it snap. Even C# on the 5th string would make me nervous.
  • Churba said:

Bleach is "ending"? It's all just really trolly and weird.

There's one of the youtube anime set that has a pretty good video on this sort of thing.

Blech. DigiBrony.