This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

2016 Presidential Election

Comments

• MATATAT said:

I will be at a metal show during the election, which somehow seems fitting.

Funny enough, I'm hitting a show that evening too. Planning to vote in the morning so I can shred leaves after work and then hit the show.

Who are you gonna see?

• I've decided I'm not going to vote.
  • edited November 2016

MATATAT said:

Funny enough, I'm hitting a show that evening too. Planning to vote in the morning so I can shred leaves after work and then hit the show.

Who are you gonna see?

Norma Jean, I guess considered more metalcore, but whatever. The last show I went to of theirs was pretty awesome.

Who are you up for?
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Rym said:

What should we do the night of the election?

I could throw a party at our place. Or we could do a livestream among those of us who follow politics closely.

Or we could do a 6v6 Overwatch...

So, for serious now, (because I've been tacitly fiddling with OBS to see what I can get away with with it), Would anyone want to do a live, 6v6 Overwatch on Tuesday? And, further, if so, when should we do it?
    I'd be in for Overwatch, as far as time goes I'd say maybe an hour or so before we think the results will be mostly finished.
  • I've decided I'm not going to vote.

Rym is not happy
  • I've decided I'm a dumbass.

• RymRym
    edited November 2016

I've decided I'm not going to vote.

I do think that makes you, to a degree, a bad person. ;)

Post edited by Rym on
  • Andrew said:

I've decided I'm a dumbass.

He's canadian.
  • edited November 2016
    MATATAT said:

MATATAT said:

Who are you gonna see?

Norma Jean, I guess considered more metalcore, but whatever. The last show I went to of theirs was pretty awesome.

Who are you up for?
    Headliner is Sonata Arctica, but I'm mostly going for Swallow the Sun and Dark Tranquility. Might catch Omnium Gatherum if I show up early enough.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Andrew said:

I think sketchbook is Canadian.
  • The rest of you is a legit get, but Victor, surely you remember I'm Canadian?
  • MATATAT said:

Andrew said:

I think sketchbook is Canadian.
    Then he's still a dumbass for trolling all of us ~_^
  • edited November 2016

I've decided I'm not going to vote.

You can leave the top spot blank or vote third party but.... Down ballot needs you!

Just cross the border and vote.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on

I stand by my statement.

Canada! Of all the made up names of places...
  • edited November 2016
    Dear peasant slaves who smugly declare that you are not voting this election simply because you don't like the presidential choices, can't be bothered to spend a couple hours researching local candidates, or believe anyone involved in politics is innately corrupt and self-serving.

Thank you. It will make my vote count even more. I'm so happy to be among the ruling elite who run your schools, courts, towns, and just about everything else government touches (roads, insurance, deeds, etc). Thank you for entrusting me with the task of governing you.

[Credit to Scott Vaughan]
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • edited November 2016

Granted, he's got good ideas for those 4 issues - but still, would it kill you to step out a bit more?

Keep in mind that for local and State level representatives, having a few pet issues on which one focuses may make the official more likely to get traction on said issues than having a broader focus.

[S]traight-ticket feels so phoned-in to me.

If that were your only qualm, it would be rather superficial. In my area, straight ticket is really the only option. I've weighed each individual, except the coroner who is running unopposed and has been the coroner for quite some time without issue,and the Democrats are the most competent and/or most in line with my personal ideologies.

I must add that it seems backwards that highway superintendents and coroners are elected rather than being hired by the municipality based on merit.

No real qualms with Schumer.

My primary qualm with Schumer, though I will still vote for him, is his judgment and unfailing support for Israel and demonizing of Palestine. From his calls to economically "strangle" Gaza to his support of Gov. Cuomo's blacklist of New York State businesses who work within Palestine or support any aspect of the Palestinian cause. I am neither pro-Palestine nor pro-Israel, but to give unfailing support to one over the other regardless of political realities displays extremely biased judgment.

I cannot and will not vote for Wilson, as she seems unqualified and has not articulated her plans and priorities well enough. Further, as the Green Party continues to embrace woo and quackery as parts of its platform, including embracing the "Great School" over modern medicine, conflation of business practices of certain GMO related companies and GMOs in general, and anti-nuclear energy stance, I simply cannot support their candidates unless the individual candidates clearly state that they do not agree with/support such stances.

Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • This guy right here, best of both worlds, Canadian who can vote in US elections!
  • My local level race is the exact opposite. The town mayor and town Democrats are FOR building a natural gas fired power plant in town, next to the local sports fields. The guys that typically run on "we love the environment" are pushing for a power plant.
  • I'm ready to +1 for Hillary in NH tomorrow. Finally my tiny little state that seems to only exist so that people from Boston have a place to go on vacation actually feels important for once.
  • edited November 2016

Keep in mind that for local and State level representatives, having a few pet issues on which one focuses may make the official more likely to get traction on said issues than having a broader focus.

That's definitely valid. And to be fair, two of his issues are pretty strong directed reforms in major areas (property tax relief via Medicaid funding, and access to higher education by creating a "stay in New York" incentive program for students), so he's advocating for very specific pieces of legislation. I tend to prefer that anyhow.
    If that were your only qualm, it would be rather superficial. In my area, straight ticket is really the only option. I've weighed each individual, except the coroner who is running unopposed and has been the coroner for quite some time without issue,and the Democrats are the most competent and/or most in line with my personal ideologies.
    Totally superficial. I rail against straight-ticket voting in principle because it's important to research candidates. It's just that, when I do the research, I find increasingly that the straight ticket supports literally all the things I want. Most of the races I have are binary to boot, and the opposition is in such stark contrast in terms of platform and experience that it's hardly a contest.

Thankfully, it's not my only qualm, and were that my only reason, I'd quash it.
    I must add that it seems backwards that highway superintendents and coroners are elected rather than being hired by the municipality based on merit.
    I didn't even know that coroner is a thing you elect.

I feel odd electing judges. We've got a state Supreme Court seat up for grabs, and I feel as though a Supreme Court judge is a position for which I do not want someone to have a platform. That feels a lot more like a job you get purely through prior work, or at least it should be. I'm going with the guy who actually cared enough to publish a bio in the New York Judiciary Voter's Guide; it also helps that he's rated "extremely qualified" in said guide.
    My primary qualm with Schumer, though I will still vote for him, is his judgment and unfailing support for Israel and demonizing of Palestine. From his calls to economically "strangle" Gaza to his support of Gov. Cuomo's blacklist of New York State businesses who work within Palestine or support any aspect of the Palestinian cause. I am neither pro-Palestine nor pro-Israel, but to give unfailing support to one over the other regardless of political realities displays extremely biased judgment.

I cannot and will not vote for Wilson, as she seems unqualified and has not articulated her plans and priorities well enough. Further, as the Green Party continues to embrace woo and quackery as parts of its platform, including embracing the "Great School" over modern medicine, conflation of business practices of certain GMO related companies and GMOs in general, and anti-nuclear energy stance, I simply cannot support their candidates unless the individual candidates clearly state that they do not agree with/support such stances.
    This is always my issue with the Green party, and why I'm mostly just passingly entertaining the notion. It's a bunch of talking points without a strong direction or plan of implementation. Wilson definitely has no particular structure or plan that I can discern, and her writings make her seem unprofessional and unprepared. I wish I could find a Green candidate whose shit was more together, but again, this seems to be an issue with the party at large.

Schumer's wildly pro-Israel stance is irksome, but I've found that attitude among a number of Jews (particularly those with more religious inclination) that I know personally - so while I take issue with it, I take issue with it at large and not exactly in particular with Schumer.

Increasingly, my politics seem to be falling in line with effective results-based Democratic candidates, and not so much with the "big picture no details" types of candidates I consistently see from other branches of liberal politics. It's frustrating, though, because I'd like to give those ideas a shot at being implemented, and that won't happen until they're elected to something. Kind of a catch-22. We'll see what's up for grabs when I get to the local local stuff - county elections and such. Maybe I can find a Greenish candidate who wants to actually climb the ladder and gain experience in a useful way.
  • edited November 2016
    I would break it down point by point, but I am of a similar mind of you on all points so it would be a waste.

Edit: Re. pro-Israel/anti-Palestinian politicians, Schumer is not alone, is a product of his upbringing/time, and is not the most egregious. Thus, I still cast my vote for him.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited November 2016
    UncleUlty said:

I'm ready to +1 for Hillary in NH tomorrow. Finally my tiny little state that seems to only exist so that people from Boston have a place to go on vacation actually feels important for once.

When you vote your vote counts the equivalent of like 6 votes on average in the country. That's pretty powerful
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Delaware's state elections are pretty tame this year. No Senate race, but the Incumbent congressman is running for Governor. (Usually here it's backwards the Governor usually runs for congress after hitting term limits.
  • edited November 2016

The rest of you is a legit get, but Victor, surely you remember I'm Canadian?

Of course. I had this in my post.
    <font color="white">He's canadian.</font>
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited November 2016

I would break it down point by point, but I am of a similar mind of you on all points so it would be a waste.

Edit: Re. pro-Israel/anti-Palestinian politicians, Schumer is not alone, is a product of his upbringing/time, and is not the most egregious. Thus, I still cast my vote for him.

It was nice to have a reality check on the Green party, at least. Every now and again I feel the need to rebel against the establishment, so it's helpful to say "hey why I don't vote for these people" and have someone point it out.

• The US Green Party came up repeatedly when I was in Sydney. They're completely disavowed by the "real" international Greens and seen as a weird joke at best. They're sort of a running gag among actual "greens" in the rest of the world for being so crazy.

Of course. I had this in my post.
    <font color="white">He's canadian.</font>
    Nicely done :D
  • Tune in at 7:30PM Eastern/4:30PM Pacific for Overwatch, Elections, and fun abound.... with the possibility of incredible panic.
  • I am puzzled by Glenn Beck;s recent revelations. He is claiming that the Obama presidency and the rise of Trump changed him greatly. Recall that Glenn Beck frequently called President Obama a racist, Marxist, and an anarchists. He is also taking responsibility for being a creator and fomenter of extreme right wing and alt-right rhetoric.

Has he gone on medication, had an epiphany, or is he just trying to keep his career alive?