This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft

1234568»

Comments

• M:tG costs money, but not time, so is arguably cheaper. If you're playing constructed, just buy all of the individual cards of the decks you want to make: no more, no less.

Also, the M:tG scene has a lot of draft tournaments, so you don't even have to bother with constructed.
  • Rym said:

M:tG costs money, but not time, so is arguably cheaper. If you're playing constructed, just buy all of the individual cards of the decks you want to make: no more, no less.

Also, the M:tG scene has a lot of draft tournaments, so you don't even have to bother with constructed.

You can play Hearthstone cheaper than M:tG because of the card crafting system. I'd guess that for just a few hundred dollars you could buy enough packs to build a competitive level deck in at least one or two classes. M:tG costs more than that.

In Hearthstone, the Arena and Tavern Brawl formats are basically the draft. No need to bother with constructed if you don't want to.
  • M:tG has the opportunity to sell your cards once you're done with the game. I don't see a resale market for Hearthstone.
  • Wyatt said:

M:tG has the opportunity to sell your cards once you're done with the game. I don't see a resale market for Hearthstone.

Don't invest so much money in a game you aren't serious about playing. Also, if you're in it to make money by reselling, go invest in something real, not playing cards. LEGO is a better investment.
  • Apreche said:

Wyatt said:

M:tG has the opportunity to sell your cards once you're done with the game. I don't see a resale market for Hearthstone.

Don't invest so much money in a game you aren't serious about playing. Also, if you're in it to make money by reselling, go invest in something real, not playing cards. LEGO is a better investment.
    I have a friend who's 23 and has like $8000 in Magic cards. He's serious about the game but I have to imagine he'll cash out at some point.
  • Ikatono said:

Apreche said:

Wyatt said:

I have a friend who's 23 and has like $8000 in Magic cards. He's serious about the game but I have to imagine he'll cash out at some point.
    Last guy I talked to about that told me finding a buyer for your entire collection is basically... if not impossible very difficult. People are willing to buy a card here and there. Even some of the very expensive ones. But cashing out completely... very difficult.
  • A bigger part of this is the convenience Hearthstone offers you. There are few board/card game apps that offer near-instantaneous matching with a live opponent. Even fewer will try to do active matchmaking based on a rank or ELO. I've dropped a total of $90 on it between some money spent at actual launch of the game, and then some more recent purchases. That's a lot of money, arguably too much money, but I have chosen to look at it as several game purchases. The launch game, vs when Old Gods came out, vs what the game is now with two more expansion. They're three games in my mind, so $30/game seems affordable, given it fits a unique slot in the "what am I playing?" There's a reason I played hundreds of matches of Ascension back in the day, as well as Ticket to Ride and Carcassone on iOS. It's convenient and it's fun to play a live opponent.
  • I'd been poking around with a Jade Druid deck of my own making and only hit rank 18. After deciding to at least look at net decks (something I never do), I modified Trumps Jade Shaman, as I didn't have all the cards. I hit rank 14 and am on a 7 match win streak. Off to board gaming!