This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Why People Think Rym & Scott are Gay.

edited July 2006 in Flamewars
Because you are two males in your twenties who are not related and who live together it will always be first assumed that you are gay. I thought you were gay when I first started listening.

There’s going to be that presumption. Plus Rym has long hair. The stereotype is that most guys with long hair are either gay or rock stars and I don’t think Rym plays guitar.

You don’t talk about women like most guys talk about women. Frankly, you come across as more interested in gaming and anime than girls.

Sure, it’s all stereotypes, what do you want? Guys in their 20s are supposed to be out chasing women all the time or on the way to getting married and starting a family. You guys do neither.

You talk about your “household.” You share expenses in ways that suggest a domestic partnership. You argue like a couple. In many ways, your lifestyle is gay without the sex.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that! ;)

Comments

• edited July 2006
    Rym can't talk about chasing (much less chase) women on air because his girlfriends is listening.
    *Edit* Sorry, I didn't listen to the whole show before replying to this.*
    Post edited by Ametto on
  • Rym can't talk about chasing (much less chase) women on air because his girlfriends is listening.
    Speaking of Emily, does she ever hit the forums? Most of the FRC that has been referenced in the show have a substantial appearance around here but I've never noticed her.
  • Honestly, if we had a larger house, then several more of our friends would probably be living with us. If I had my way, the entire Front Row Crew would share a mansion somewhere. We're all generally of the mind that living with friends is a much more sensible proposition economically than all of us living alone.

In regards to talking about the women in my life, I avoid it on the show primarily to avoid embarrassing anyone. There are plenty of stories I wouldn't mind telling, but not everyone is quite as comfortable with that sort of thing being made available on teh internets. Notice how we tend to omit names when telling certain stories? ;^)

Now, if you're saying that we have the stereotypical traits of gay men, that's nothing but a compliment. ^_~ I'm fine with being known as a snappy dresser and all that.

Also, don't forget that we live in downstate New York. While I generally dislike the word, "metrosexuals" are more and more common the closer to the city you get. I don't think any of our New York City or other urban-dwelling listeners would think we were gay ^_~
  • Speaking of Emily, does she ever hit the forums? Most of the FRC that has been referenced in the show have a substantial appearance around here but I've never noticed her.
    Emily's been in Japan for the last several months, so she's been scarce. She'll be returning stateside before the fall. ^_^
  • Hmm... I have long hair, and I'm more interested in anime and gaming than women. However, Im 19, not mid-twenties, so by your argument, I'm fine. Either way, my Best mate is a raving homosexual. I'm sure I would know by now :P

I seriously hate stereotypes. I live by the firm belief that all generalisations are false.
  • edited July 2006
    Honestly, if we had a larger house, then several more of our friends would probably be living with us. If I had my way, the entire Front Row Crew would share a mansion somewhere. We're all generally of the mind that living with friends is a much more sensible proposition economically than all of us living alone.

Now, if you're saying that we have the stereotypical traits of gay men, that's nothing but a compliment. ^_~ I'm fine with being known as a snappy dresser and all that.
    If you lived in a house with a bunch of guys, that would be a lot less gay, strangely enough. And I'm not slamming you. It's all just an observation because you guys put it out there with the last show. The way I see it: 1) you are surprised that people think you are gay and 2) you could care less.

I thought it was threadworthy to throw out the stereotypes that you fit into that make people think you are gay.

Of course it might be that just Scott is gay. ;)
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Unrelated aside: Why is it that people say "You could care less" when they really mean "You couldn't care less"? If you could care less then you must care at least a little bit and could, in fact, care a great deal. If you couldn't care less then you are currently exhibiting the absolute minimum about of care, ie: none. I don't mean to rag on you, Thaed. I say the same thing because it sounds odd if you say it differently. I just always pause when I see it written out...
  • deaf-mute, about generalizations: just because something isn't universally true doesn't make it universally false, either. I think most stereotypes have (or had) some basis in fact that gets distorted and blown out of proportion. Saying "all generalizations are false" is just as bad a trap as saying one is true; concerning a broad group of people (generalizations always do) nothing is true for the entire group. On the other hand, nothing is false for the entire group either.
  • Well, I find it interesting. Mainly due to the fact that city-dwellers don't seem to think these things as much as non-city-dwellers. Not just about us at GeekNights, but of people in general. Two dudes sharing a place is not only common but often necessary down here just to cover the rent. Long hair is so common as to be unnoteworthy.

These stereotypes aren't nearly so prevalent in urban centers as they are in the rest of the country.
  • They had talked about woman in the pass I.g the ask Rym and Scott show were they talked about woman's breasts.
  • Here is a generalization that is 100% true:

All carrots are vegetables.

Here is a generalization that is 100% false:

All apples are bananas.

I greatly enjoy how while trying to denounce generalizations, you made a generalization about generalizations.
  • (That was totally not the point)
  • deaf mute: you're right, but this is a flame war, and he caught me. I didn't think that post through very well.

Apreche: Touche. x_x

Also, the board is hopping today.
  • edited July 2006
    I do remember Rym and Scott saying that if one of them was a girl, they would date each other. But alas, fate is cruel.
    Post edited by Ametto on
  • Also, the board is hopping today.
    I know, I love it. Another thread asked what people do when they're bored at work. My answer is this right here.
  • I will freely admit that at one time I thought that Rym and Scott MIGHT be gay. I was listening for just a three episodes and the thought did pop into my mind. "I wonder if they are gay?" I mentioned that thought to my fiance and she said that I was a dumbass for thinking it and that there are tons of men out there who are just roommates. Then in the next episode Rym mentioned Emily and Scott mentioned boobs. Yeah....not gay.
  • Here is a generalization that is 100% true:

All carrots are vegetables.

Here is a generalization that is 100% false:

All apples are bananas.

I greatly enjoy how while trying to denounce generalizations, you made a generalization about generalizations.
    Not all Carrots are vegetables! These ('^') and the carrots used to measure gold aren't vegetables! How silly are you?
    Originally this was going to be a thing saying that there are carrots made of plastic (for decoration), but then I decided to damage the english-language-nazi's a little instead.
  • Yeah....not gay.
    But possibly bi! Bicurious? Buy curious?

But to respond to something Rym mentioned above— yes there are a'many a story involving friends of the female persuasion that might be embarrassing to recount for other parties involved. And apparently back in the day, he was quite the ladies' man. (!)
  • edited July 2006
    Not all Carrots are vegetables! These ('^') and the carrots used to measure gold aren't vegetables! How silly are you?
    Originally this was going to be a thing saying that there are carrots made of plastic (for decoration), but then I decided to damage the english-language-nazi's a little instead.
    Er, no. Scott is right. Carrots are carrots are carrots. They're a kind of fleshy orange root that is commonly eaten as a vegetable. Karats or carets are used to measure gold. Carets (^) are used as a proofreading symbol, sometimes called chevrons. They're homonyms, but not nearly close enough.
    Post edited by Aido on
  • I think there is a tendency among members of the FRC, and a lot of renaissance geeks, to just be more up front with their sexuality. Rym and Scott are both very comfortable in their heterosexuality, so they have no problem hugging another guy, or getting into tickle fights, or engaging in an hours-long tickle fight that ends with everyone collapsed on a bed, sweating and heaving.

Nope, nothing gay about that.
  • Thaed your well outta line and it's none of your business anyway.
    But i will argue the points you made:

"There’s going to be that presumption. Plus Rym has long hair. The stereotype is that most guys with long hair are either gay or rock stars and I don’t think Rym plays guitar."

I have never heard of that being a stereotype, and it's completely ridiculous.

You don’t talk about women like most guys talk about women. Frankly, you come across as more interested in gaming and anime than girls.

The show is about Geekery and not girls, so of course they are going to talk about these subjects. You should check out Rym and Scott's hot dating podcast at www.backrowcrew.com/

Sure, it’s all stereotypes, what do you want? Guys in their 20s are supposed to be out chasing women all the time or on the way to getting married and starting a family. You guys do neither.

Guys in their 20's can do whatever they like, chase girls, not chase them or whatever. But not many guys are dumb enough to get married in their 20's, believe me. And that sounds to me like a christian attitude.

You talk about your “household.” You share expenses in ways that suggest a domestic partnership. You argue like a couple. In many ways, your lifestyle is gay without the sex.

They argue like normal friends and housemates argue. Have you never lived with someone else before? Maybe you should come out of your basement and see what the real world is like. As Rym says sharing expenses and living together is almost essential to living in a city.
  • edited July 2006
    The stereotype is that most guys with long hair are either gay or rock stars and I don’t think Rym plays guitar.
    HUH?!? Sorry dude but I have know quite a few gay men in my life and none of them have long hair. Seriously. I have never met a gay man with long hair.
    You talk about your “household.” You share expenses in ways that suggest a domestic partnership.
    They share the living space and the bills. They have mentioned several times that the house is actually Scott's. And trust me in any good roommate situation this is exactly the way it should be.
    You argue like a couple. In many ways, your lifestyle is gay without the sex.
    In college I argued with my Suite mates in exactly the same way that Rym and Scott argue. There is nothing wrong with this. Friends who have shared living space for as long as Rym and Scott have tend to act like a couple would (as is human nature), but that doesn't mean that they ARE a couple.
    Post edited by baltmatrix on
  • They share the living space and the bills. They have mentioned several times that the house is actually Scott's. And trust me in any good roommate situation this is exactly the way it should be.
    When did wen say the house was mine? We rent it from some guy and we each pay half the rent.
  • Several months agao you Rym mention that he wished he could find a house for less than 200K. And you said you did and you got it. Also many time when you are talking about the house they way you are talking about it sounds like you (Scott) are the owner.
  • Ok, the title of this thread is "Why People Think Rym and Scott are Gay" not "Why I think Rym and Scott are Gay." I couldn't care less about their sexual preference, but I thought it would be interesting to discuss why people wonder about it. Clearly a lot of people have wondered about it. But I am not out of line because R & S raised the issue in their show and spent a long time talking about it. If they talk about it on the show, it's fair game in the forums.

Oh right, long hair is so masculine. Maybe in Japan... during the Feudal Period.

backrowcrew = lol

I'm quite happy in my basement. It's not the fact that they share expenses, it's that they merge expenses. There doesn't seem to be a fine line as to who owns what (except for game systems and controllers). I have lived with guys- in college. If guys are living together to share expenses, it's usually more than a duo in a household. Really, only couples use the term household, right?
  • dutopia: Actually, I'm fairly certain that the majority of people, men and women, get married in their 20's, at least in the U.S.

Also, I think long hair is usually associated with either geeks or metal fans, not gay men, and as has been mentioned, I've never seen a gay man with long hair.

I think people might think they're gay just because they're two guys living together, and occasionally bitch about housework and such.
  • RymRym
    edited July 2006
    Funny how you all think the house is Scott's. Most people in the actual Crew call it "Rym's House." ^_~
    Post edited by Rym on
  • hmmm.. where do I even start with this topic! ^_^

I think the term you guys need is from Clerks... "hetrosexual lifemates!" (bty Clerks II rocks)

Yea, i generally call it Rym's House, because Rym lived in that area first and seems to take responsiblity more ^_^

it's Pete you gotta worry about he goes for 2nd base way too often ^_^
  • hmmm.. where do I even start with this topic! ^_^

I think the term you guys need is from Clerks... "hetrosexual lifemates!" (bty Clerks II rocks)

Yea, i generally call it Rym's House, because Rym lived in that area first and seems to take responsiblity more ^_^

it's Pete you gotta worry about he goes for 2nd base way too often ^_^
    BUT YOUR CHEST IS SO MANLY AND ATTRACTIVE!