This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• I saw Dr. Strangelove recently. It was funny.
  • I watched Blade Runner for the first time last night, and all I've gotta say is "...goddamn". There is so much depth to it, that it just hurts.
    Last night for the first time? Not to criticize, but I'm stunned that someone as into film as you are hasn't seen Blade Runner two dozen times.
  • edited January 2010
    I've only seen the first twenty minutes of Blade Runner. I haven't felt like finishing. I know I'll have to eventually, but it's one of those movies that gets so loudly recommended to me that I start to experience the Scott Rubin I-don't-want-to-do-it-because-you-told-me-to syndrome (IDWTDIBYTMTS). I'm sure I'll like it, but there are other films I'm more concerned about right now.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • I watched Blade Runner for the first time last night, and all I've gotta say is "...goddamn". There is so much depth to it, that it just hurts.
    Last night for thefirst time? Not to criticize, but I'm stunned that someone as into film as you are hasn't seen Blade Runner two dozen times.
    I didn't see it all the way through until last year.
  • I didn't see it all the way through until last year.
    You're also not a self-proclaimed film nut -- or if you are, not enough that you have to constantly talk about it on the forum :)
  • I didn't see it all the way through until last year.
    You're also not a self-proclaimed film nut -- or if you are, not enough that you have to constantly talk about it on the forum :)
    Na, I am just a usual nut, like a cashew.
  • I saw the Book of Eli tonight, and it was pretty freaking good. Gary Oldman definitely had the best performance and I strongly agreed with his stance that religion is one of the best weapons on the planet.
  • I saw the Book of Eli tonight
    It looked like Fallout: The Movie. Was it?
  • It looked likeFallout: The Movie. Was it?
    Fallout + Christianity = Book of Eli.
  • Just rewatched The Red Violin. I've been on a kick of period pieces lately. I've watched Shakespeare In Love, Immortal Beloved, and Elizabeth. I've actually been wanting to watch The Red Violin and watching it again makes me realize how much I enjoy movies where they take an item and show the story of the people it encounters throughout time. I think I might rent Twenty Bucks next. That was a fun movie.
  • GeoGeo
    edited January 2010
    I watched Blade Runner for the first time last night, and all I've gotta say is "...goddamn". There is so much depth to it, that it just hurts.
    Last night for thefirst time? Not to criticize, but I'm stunned that someone as into film as you are hasn't seen Blade Runner two dozen times.
    It's one of those situations concerning movies that has happened to a lot of people at least once (or more times) in their lives: the film that is in extremely high regard that you just never seem to get around to. Blade Runner has been on my list for about 7 years, and due to a combination of seeing other things and other affairs, I never got around to seeing it.

EDIT: Warning - Spoilers ahead

I'll admit that the part that struck an emotional cord with me was when Roy Batty retired after his fight with Deckard. That moment combined with the symbolism, the music, and especially his final words started to make me cry and I was quite shocked it made me do so.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • It looked likeFallout: The Movie. Was it?
    Fallout + Christianity = Book of Eli.
    How does something like that work?
  • How does something like that work?
    I honestly don't know, but it does.
  • How does something like that work?
    I honestly don't know, but it does.
    Well, I know what I'm doing this weekend :)
  • Fallout + Christianity = Book of Eli.
    Try Zardoz + Christianity = Book of Eli. The plots are identical, other than divergences caused by the "CHRISTIANITY IS FANTASTIC AND TRUE CHRISTIANS ARE BADASS HEROS" theme. The only difference is that it's a lot harder to photoshop Rym onto Denzel Washington in a red Man-thong+harness.
  • So tehconnection was doing site-wide free leach last week so I wound up downloading just about every movie with a decent amount of seeders. Watched I Love You Man, pretty lame and sappy, but there were a couple funny bits and I had a big smile on my face by the end. Watched The Hangover, and liked it a lot more than I expected. Zach Galifianakis really brought it home. It was silly, but never as mind numbingly predictable as I Love You Man. The good joke per minute ratio was pretty high.

I will be back to watching low budget artsy shit soon enough.
  • Watched I Love You Man, pretty lame and sappy, but there were a couple funny bits and I had a big smile on my face by the end.
    Come on, everybody was licking everyone else's basses.
  • EDIT: Warning - Spoilers ahead, but due to Statute of Limitations I will not hide them.
    Tell you what, why not just hide them? This is a movie thread, and two people have just commented that they've not seen it. More to the point, YOU hadn't seen the film until recently.

Let's keep all spoilers whited out, please.
  • CHRISTIANITY IS FANTASTIC AND TRUE CHRISTIANS ARE BADASS HEROS
    So I'm avoiding it like plague, then? Alrighty. Didn't know this was the next Left Behind-ish recruiting tool.
  • So I'm avoiding it like plague, then? Alrighty. Didn't know this was the nextLeft Behind-ish recruiting tool.
    I wouldn't go that far myself - it's not exactly in your face as it seems when I put it like that, but it's certainly quite present, and a very obvious departure from the original. It would have been better, in my opinion, with a more original plot, or sticking more to the original. It's not a bad movie, but it could be far better.
  • EDIT: Warning - Spoilers ahead, but due to Statute of Limitations I will not hide them.
    Tell you what, why not just hide them? This is a movie thread, and two people have just commented that they've not seen it. More to the point, YOU hadn't seen the film until recently.

Let's keep all spoilers whited out, please.
    Fair enough.
  • Thanks to a bunch of long haul flights over the past few weeks I've had a chance to watch a number of movies. I think this all of them but might have forgotten the odd one:

-9 (apparently the graphics are nice but the screen made most if it black and the story was less than interesting)
    -Bolt (adorable!)
    -Cloudy with a chance of meatballs (also surprisingly nice)
    -Where the wild things are (meant to be a coming of age story but all I felt was a coming of boredom)
    -Milk (good dramatic stuff)
    -The Ugly Truth (the truth being it's not a great movie)
    -Gi Joe (usual over the top action fare)
    -500 Days of Summer (can see the appeal but besides the Regina Spektor song it didn't really work for me)
    -The Hangover (all the ridiculous humour you need)
    -Aliens in the Attic (barrel scraping after seeing most of the others...was it wrong that in a dumb way I enjoyed it)

Please place a large grain of jetlag next to any of those comments!

Now I need to watch Avatar and not sure which apocalypse movie I should see: The Book of Eli or The Road.
  • edited January 2010
    On Deadly Ground. When a movie is produced, directed and starred by someone as awesome as Seven Seagal you know it's going to be great.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • The Hurt Locker. This movie was absolutely fantastic; every person with a pulse should see it.
  • The Hurt Locker. This movie was absolutely fantastic; every person with a pulse should see it.
    I must admit, that was a pretty awesome move.
  • Was the point of 500 Days of Summer that Summer is an inconsiderate bitch?
  • I saw the original Death Race 2000 last night which is an amazing, amazing movie. Followed by Twilight and Sorcerer's Stone Rifftrax. I laughed a lot last night.
  • edited January 2010
    I finally saw The Hangover yesterday. I really liked it, although I find it hard to believe that (Here thar be spoilers)he was on the roof for all two days.

Fun Fact: I was in France when The Hangover was in theaters. They renamed it "Very Bad Trip." I can't imagine why.
    Post edited by progSHELL on
  • Was the point of 500 Days of Summer that Summer is an inconsiderate bitch?
    Basically. It wasn't a story about her, it was about the main guy's growth as a person after he met her.
  • The Brothers Bloom was boring and pointless. Every single piece of dialogue was "look how self-aware we are." Can't figure out how Rian Johnson went from the amazing Brick to this pretentious bullshit. Sort of feel the same way as when I watched Southland Tales after being blown away by Donnie Darko. Hopefully Rian gets his game back on his next movie, because he's really talented and shouldn't waste his skills on garbage like this.