This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• edited January 2010
    Watched Punch-Drunk Love, it blew my mind. Really a perfect film.
    I know, right? What's almost as mind blowing as the film itself is Adam Sandler's performance. Who knew the guy could actually act (apparently nobody else, because his roles continue to be shit)?
    What genre of film is it?
    Romantic comedy-drama.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • apparently nobody else, because his roles continue to be shit
    Um, have you seen Reign Over Me? Adam Sandler is a talented man. He just happens to get cast in stupid roles with frequency. It's the Jim Carrey problem.
  • I just watched "The Book of Eli" on Friday and it was a fantastic movie, if only because of all the Zatoichi references.
    Um, have you seenReign Over Me? Adam Sandler is a talented man. He just happens to get cast in stupid roles with frequency. It's the Jim Carrey problem.
    Except that he casts himself in stupid roles. A lot of movies that Adam Sandler is in, he has written/directed/produced. Those were projects he created in some way.
  • Um, have you seenReign Over Me? Adam Sandler is a talented man. He just happens to get cast in stupid roles with frequency. It's the Jim Carrey problem.
    That was my point.
    Um, have you seenReign Over Me? Adam Sandler is a talented man. He just happens to get cast in stupid roles with frequency. It's the Jim Carrey problem.
    I feel like he should have some control over that. After starring in Funny People, where his character is an EXACT parody of his film career, it feels like he should do more serious roles. And while he is really recognizable for being such a goofy person, he was in a decent amount of dramas before.
  • edited January 2010
    Romantic comedy-drama.
    No, this is bullshit. This is the very reason it took me so long to watch it. When you say romantic comedy-drama, you are setting a movie up to be a trite and predictable cliche-fest. This movie defies genres. Sure, there is a love story, there is clever dialogue, there are sad bits, but it is not a romantic comedy-drama. Simply put, anyone who considers themselves a seriously movie person has to watch it.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • Snarlylow, it seems like you might be making a lot of assumptions about movies within certain genres. Just because it is in a genre does not necessarily mean it conforms to the cliches of that genre.
  • edited January 2010
    No, this is bullshit.
    You're saying it isn't romantic, comedic, and dramatic? Every story every told can be boiled down to basic concepts, saying that any movie "defies genres" is ridiculous. Those words have been associated with a very specific characters and plot structures, but the concepts of genre and character arc are so useful that we shouldn't let Hollywood buzzwords get in the way of intelligent conversation.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • EDIT: to bring it back to Starship Troupers, the film is indeed waaaay bad, but I quite enjoyed it. Comparisons to Ender's Game are valid, but just know the novel Starship Troupers is the story that set the mold for military science fiction, of which Thee Forever War and Ender's Game are held up to be the best two in that tradition, each telling the story of a recruit who goes through training and ends up in battle against buglike aliens. Each has a very distinct view on war and morality, and can be read as a set.
    I also point out that it is the work that certainly defined - if not outright invented - the modern concept of Power Armor and Space Marines.
  • Snarlylow, it seems like you might be making a lot of assumptions about movies within certain genres. Just because it is in a genre does not necessarily mean it conforms to the cliches of that genre.
    The cliches are certainly implied.
  • edited January 2010
    You're saying it isn't romantic, comedic, and dramatic? Every story every told can be boiled down to basic concepts, saying that any movie "defies genres" is ridiculous. Those words have been associated with a very specific characters and plot structures, but the concepts of genre and character arc are so useful that we shouldn't let Hollywood buzzwords get in the way of intelligent conversation.
    I'm saying it is all of those things, but boiling the film down to that specific genre, and associating it with the connotations such a genre implies, is a huge disservice to the film, and will in no way encourage anyone to see it.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • No, this is bullshit.
    I'm saying it is all of those things, but boiling the film down to that specific genre, and associating it with the connotations such a genre implies, is a huge disservice to the film, and will in no way encourage anyone to see it.
    You associating only the cliches of a genre with the genre in its totality appears to be the problem.
  • I think that everyone thinks of a similar set of elements when they hear the phrase "romantic comedy," elements that Punch Drunk Love either does not contain or twists into something rarely associated with those elements before. I am no good at arguing semantically, and would much prefer to appreciate the film as it's own entity rather than attempt to pigeon hole it into categories I do not agree with.
  • I think that everyone thinks of a similar set of elements when they hear the phrase "romantic comedy," elements that Punch Drunk Love either does not contain or twists into something rarely associated with those elements before. I am no good at arguing semantically, and would much prefer to appreciate the film as it's own entity rather than attempt to pigeon hole it into categories I do not agree with.
    It is a romance, it has comedic elements, and it is a drama. What else would you call it?
    The "to label it would be to diminish" attitude only applies when people actually diminish it in their own minds. If you really have such a knee jerk reaction to genres, then I highly recommend you learn enough about them to see that they are more than their cliches.
  • I watchedStarship Troopersfor the first time on Saturday. It was incredibly painful.
    I hear Starship Troopers 3 is good....
    Is it Romantic? Is it a comedy? Then it's a Romantic comedy. Avatar is considered a great film by most people, but it's still Syfy Si-Fi, despite all the horrible tropes attached to Si-fi. Gone with the Wind is a classic, and it's still a musical, just like high school musical. Just because a film is a stand-out example in it's genre doesn't change a god-damn thing, now quit yer bitchin' and just enjoy the bloody flick.
  • Yeah, you're right, I am making knee jerk generalizations, and I should work through that. I guess my real issue is the idea of IijanGin seeing that genre as the answer to his/her question and making the same knee jerk generalizations that I make.
  • Well, to IijanGin, Punch Drunk Love is fucking fantastic and you should see it. How's that?
  • Well, to IijanGin, Punch Drunk Love is fucking fantastic and you should see it. How's that?
    I haven't seen the movie in years, but it was a really good movie, iirc.
  • Yeah, you're right, I am making knee jerk generalizations, and I should work through that. I guess my real issue is the idea of IijanGin seeing that genre as the answer to his/her question and making the same knee jerk generalizations that I make.
    That's weird, Normally when I clip someone across the ear like that, they get grumpy. Thank you, for the nice change!
    IijanGin specifically asked
    What genre of film is it?
    What would you answer? "It falls in the genre of awesome"?
  • What would you answer? "It falls in the genre of awesome"?
    So what I'm getting is that I should just watch the movie? Nuff said?
  • I also point out that it is the work that certainly defined - if not outright invented - the modern concept of Power Armor and Space Marines.
    The entire thing smacks of 40k. GW owes the Heinlein estate big money.
  • edited January 2010
    What would you answer? "It falls in the genre of awesome"?
    Just to clarify, I haven't watched it myself; I was questioning snarlyow.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • What would you answer? "It falls in the genre of awesome"?
    Just to clarify, I haven't watched it myself; I was questioning snarlyow.
    Hmm. That changes things up a bit, then.
  • Not really. Everyone who has actually seen it is saying it's awesome.
  • Well I guess not then. xD
    I'll have to see it then.
  • Moon was awesome, I just wish I could describe more of it to other people without spoiling.