This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• Adam and I decided to watch some bad movies for fun. We watchedThe Gamers: Dorkness Rising,Confessions of a Shopaholic, andGabriel. All of these movies were bad, but they were each enjoyable on some level.
    Were they MST3K worthy?
  • Lisa and I just watched Extract. It's typical of Mike Judge work in that the "plot" is a loosely-defined excuse to work awkward situational jokes into a bleak work-a-day-world everyman's life. As usual, J.K. Simmons was the best performance of the bunch. On the other hand, Mila Kunis is getting hotter with each passing minute.
  • I watched Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist. I really enjoyed that movie (Cameo by Andy Samberg!). A very "cute" movie.
    Bishop Allen<333

Immediately after I watched Boondock Saints...
  • Pseudo-Indie Hipster Bullshit: The Movie
  • edited January 2010
    Pseudo-Indie Hipster Bullshit: The Movie
    Bulls-eye.
    (I still liked it, though)
    Post edited by Sixthpence on
  • We watchedThe Gamers: Dorkness Rising,
    I enjoy The Gamers series because of how the sheer hilarity of the geeky jokes and references. You have to love the guy who is the rules nazi that plays the monk. He was one of the funniest.
  • I watched Superbad today and loved it, and just now I watched Almost Famous and double-loved it.
  • edited January 2010
    I watchedSuperbadtoday and loved it, and just now I watchedAlmost Famousand double-loved it.
    in Almost famous the immature part of me always really loved the women dancing around him on the bed part.... :-p
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • edited January 2010
    I watched Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist. I really enjoyed that movie (Cameo by Andy Samberg!). A very "cute" movie.
    Ha, I watched it on Thursday when Rym went to pick up Scott's car. I could recognize almost all the places where they went during the night. As a New Yorker, I cared more about location-spotting than I did about the actual plot. Remember the scene where Nick and his friends are sitting parked in the Van, by a church, and there is this sign that says Digital Society in the background? They are parked directly in front of my Freshman year apartment building on 10th. I suppose it says something that this was the biggest joy I got out of the movie, but I suppose it was fun. I wanted to smack a lot of the characters, though. Hipster Bullshit Drama is annoying, but at the same time, as a RomCom, it was decent. Okay music too, I guess.
    I think this hipster fest was one of the reasons that Cera was cast for Scott Pilgrim. However, I hope he doesn't play Scott P. in his typical wuss-boy awkward way. Scott is loud and scatterbrained and somewhat brash, whereas Nick mumbled far too much.
    Pseudo-Indie Hipster Bullshit: The Movie
    It was also this. Also, I had trouble concentrating on the movie because of the disgusting gag of the traveling gum. Not only because it was shared gum that was chewed the whole night, which was gross to begin with, but because it was so many gross places.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • We watchedThe Gamers: Dorkness Rising,
    I enjoyThe Gamersseries because of how the sheer hilarity of the geeky jokes and references. You have to love the guy who is the rules nazi that plays the monk. He was one of the funniest.
    I also liked "the Gamers" movies.
  • I think this hipster fest was one of the reasons that Cera was cast for Scott Pilgrim. However, I hope he doesn't play Scott P. in his typical wuss-boy awkward way. Scott is loud and scatterbrained and somewhat brash, whereas Nick mumbled far too much.
    I don't know, it seems right up his alley - young guy tries to awkwardly woo the girl of his dreams in an odd situation.
  • edited January 2010
    I hope he doesn't play Scott P. in his typical wuss-boy awkward way.
    I was kind of unsure what to think when I heard they were going to use him to play Scott Pilgrim, but I believe as long as he doesn't be a wuss, like you say, he should be fine. This movie could show a totally different acting side of Michael Cera. Or show how he can't play different rolls... In my mind it kind of works, though, and no matter what, I will probably force my self to love the movie.
    I don't know, it seems right up his alley - young guy tries to awkwardly woo the girl of his dreams in an odd situation.
    Yes, but Scott Pilgrim is also completely awesome while doing it.
    Post edited by Sixthpence on
  • Yes, but Scott Pilgrim is also completely awesome while doing it.
    I know, I was taking the piss.
  • Yes, but Scott Pilgrim is also completely awesome while doing it.
    I know, I was taking the piss.
    Interesting...
  • Interesting...
    I'm Australian. You get used to it eventually.
  • Pseudo-Indie Hipster Bullshit: The Movie
    It was also this.
    I know nothing about this movie, so explain this to me.
  • edited January 2010
    1. It has Michael Cera.
    2. The soundtrack includes Bishop Allen, Vampire Weekend, We Are Scientists, and Band Of Horses, torch bearers of Boring Indie Rock.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • edited January 2010
    I just saw Casablanca for the first time. Absolutely fantastic! And to think I once thought such movies were dull.
    Post edited by Diagoras on
  • edited January 2010
    We saw Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist a couple of weeks ago. It was cute, but I felt it relied far too heavily on the "playlist" and not enough on character development and plot. It just plodded along fairly predictably while inserting a few timely cultural references/jokes. I didn't hate it, but I didn't really like it much either.
    Also, the gum gag almost made me ill.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Watched Punch-Drunk Love, it blew my mind. Really a perfect film. I feel totally comfortable saying it's up there with The Big Lebowski and Blue Velvet as one of my favorites films, though I know I'll need to rewatch it a few times. Man. I can't describe how I feel about this movie.
  • Watched Punch-Drunk Love, it blew my mind. Really a perfect film. I feel totally comfortable saying it's up there with The Big Lebowski and Blue Velvet as one of my favorites films, though I know I'll need to rewatch it a few times. Man. I can't describe how I feel about this movie.
    What genre of film is it?
  • I watched Starship Troopers for the first time on Saturday. It was incredibly painful. I couldn't even enjoy it on a campy level. It was like a infantile version of Ender's Game except it focused on an idiot soldier and his love life instead of the interesting games and theory character.
  • I watchedStarship Troopersfor the first time on Saturday. It was incredibly painful. I couldn't even enjoy it on a campy level. It was like a infantile version of Ender's Game except it focused on an idiot soldier and his love life instead of the interesting games and theory character.
    Do not let this deter you from reading the book, which is a Heinlein treatise about fundamentalist politics, morality, and war.
  • Do not let this deter you from reading the book, which is a Heinlein treatise about fundamentalist politics, morality, and war.
    Would you like to know more?
  • edited January 2010
    Do not let this deter you from reading the book, which is a Heinlein treatise about fundamentalist politics, morality, and war.
    That actually made me laugh out loud.

EDIT: to bring it back to Starship Troupers, the film is indeed waaaay bad, but I quite enjoyed it. Comparisons to Ender's Game are valid, but just know the novel Starship Troupers is the story that set the mold for military science fiction, of which Thee Forever War and Ender's Game are held up to be the best two in that tradition, each telling the story of a recruit who goes through training and ends up in battle against buglike aliens. Each has a very distinct view on war and morality, and can be read as a set.
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • edited January 2010
    Well, knowing is half the battle...
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • I watchedStarship Troopersfor the first time on Saturday. It was incredibly painful.
    Man, I could've told you that.

I still enjoyed it though. I'm a sucker for sci-fi movies that involve big shit blowing up.
  • edited January 2010
    I still enjoyed it though. I'm a sucker for sci-fi movies that involve big shit blowing up.
    I also enjoyed Starship Troopers for this reason.

Also, you gotta love the NPH getting work somehow post-Dooger Howsier MD, Michael Ironside always being the badass, and let's not forget Jake Busey's awesome eletronic violin/viola skills.

I'm almost tempted to watch the sequels just to see how bad they are.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • If you want to see a Starship Trooper's adaption that is at least decent I recommend the animated series that was on HBO a while back. (Starship Trooper: Roughnecks if I'm correct.) But I actually enjoyed the original movie (for the same reason Ro and Whaleshark did).
  • Like Andrew, also watched Moon last night, and I also thought it was fantastic. Having no idea what it was about made it even more interesting and unexpected. Definitely my kind of sci-fi.

Not a new movie to me, I also popped in Dark Knight over the weekend cause I just couldn't stop thinking about it for some reason. Still so good. I have a thing for movies and shows with great villains.