This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pregnancy

edited January 2010 in Everything Else
Well, true believers, we're nine weeks in and the severe mood swings and emotional outbursts have started. I slept on the couch last night because she felt the bed was shrinking and it was too hot and it was just uncomfortable and she could "feel my breath" even when I was turned the other way.

Look, I know there are things afoot. She's been complaining of constant morning and evening sickness for the past two weeks, and the baby's already messing up her system (constipation, sleeping odd hours, general exhaustion, gas, bloating). There have been, of course, the legendary cravings -- nachos one day, chocolate the next, the cliche pickles even. Hell, there was one day she couldn't focus until I'd gotten her a certain type of carrots.

That's all good and fine. But I'm not prepared to handle the hormone-induced irrationality.

This morning I woke up at 7:30 to her screaming that I was a fat ass because I wasn't cleaning the cat litter or the bathroom. Then she locked herself in the bedroom and started sobbing -- about what, I'm still not sure. Then she was pacing back and forth and was upset she couldn't take a shower "because of all the chemicals." There was actually a point where she started jumping up and down and yelling like Yosemite Sam. Then she started laughing. Then she was angry again. Then she was talking to the dogs in a baby voice. Then she was angry again.

Did I mention it's my birthday?

So, I tried to be as nurturing as possible. It's clear this is the work of either A) hormones or B) some vicious alien parasite that was unearthed from the Antarctic ice.

Those of you who have been through this before, give me some advice. Give me some good news. Give me some solace. Give me some timelines for when this passes/abates/gets worse. Give me something, for shit's sake.

Comments

• Jason's post is effective birth control.
  • In 18 years you can throw it out of the house.
  • I suddenly understand why some of my guy friends are scared of pregnant women.
  • edited January 2010
    That's rough, Jason. I do feel for ya. Hopefully my anecdotal advice will give some sort of solace.

I have a co-worker who is about 35. We are very good friends and we constantly joke around at work, laughing at funny medical conditions involving male and female genitalia, and playing jokes on eachother. Yeah, we're immature, but it really makes the day go by faster. He was in a long term relationship and was recently married. About one month after he was married, his wife got pregnant. He was really scared because he didn't think he was ready to be a father.

I remember seeing him come in every morning during the 9 months and seeing the look on his face of frustration because going through similar things you are going through. He would basically just try to be patient and tell his wife that he loves her and can't possibly understand what she's going through, but he is there for her. He's not against her, but with her. That he loves her, and all that supportive jazz. That would normally abate her emotions.

I'll ask him how long that stuff lasts. I really hope things get better for ya.

I will leave with this. After he had his first son, he would come in to work, looking beyond tired, but he was always beyond positive and said seeing his son was worth the sleepless nights. About 3 months after his first son was born, his wife got pregnant again. When he told me that, I was like "Holy shit! Can't you keep it in your pants?"

He was a bit scared, as being the provider of the family, but he kept positive.

I know this probably doesn't help a lot, but hopefully when you see your child, all your horrible experience will be a mere memory that will fade away.

/pat on back

Edit: Oh yeah, Happy Birthday.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Those of you who have been through this before, give me some advice. Give me some good news. Give me some solace. Give me some timelines for when this passes/abates/gets worse. Give me something, for shit's sake.
    Fortunately for me, but unfortunately for you, I haven't been through anything like that.

What I can tell you is that i is totally worth it!
  • edited January 2010
    Well, when my mom was pregnant with my brother, she had similar behaviors though maybe not as extreme. I say maybe because it was 4 years ago, and I don't remember what her behavior was like exactly.

HOWEVER, I do remember this: She WILL ask you to get her things to eat. She will crave a particular food for days or weeks, then suddenly not be able to stand the taste. If you bring her that food again, she will yell at you claiming you don't KNOW her anymore.

My Dad and I thought about this on a run to Subway late at night. We are pretty sure whatever she was craving was what her body needed to build a baby. Like if, in an RTS, you need some wood to build that catapult, getting water won't help. You need some trees.

But it's worth it, considering that after a few years you can get an awesome kid like my brother.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • @Sonic: Well he is only awesome when an awesome, geeky, and nifty person like you are their to train him, Obi-Wan.
  • I think all the pics of kids are the best motivation.

I wish I had a video of my 4-year-old cousin shredding on the drums.
  • Let this be said: I've never doubted that it's worth it. Lisa is worth it, baby or no. I just don't quite know how to manage the crazy. I can manage people. I can manage finances. I can manage tasks and games and resources and ideas and animals and feelings. I have no idea how to manage crazy. I can't identify with it, or wrap my head around it. I cannot put myself in her shoes right now. That's where the struggle comes.
  • edited January 2010
    I can't identify with it, or wrap my head around it. I cannot put myself in her shoes right now.
    Sure you can. Have you ever fallen in love? That's all hormones too, it is also profoundly irrational, unrelenting, and crazy. Don't feel alienated just because the symptoms are different.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • Want some advice? Read some books on Buddhism.

Don't take anything she does personally and understand that it is even worse for her. Listen when she talks and pay attention. Even if she is saying some crazy shit about how she can hear the cat breathing in the other room and it is keeping her awake at night.
  • edited January 2010
    The extremity of her mood swings are concerning. Maybe, in one of her more rational moments, you should suggest that she (or better, that both of you) discuss it with her doctor. If she doesn't believe that her mood swings are all that extreme, you might want to set up a video camera or keep a journal of her actions and to force her to acknowledge the behavior. Good luck and be willing to tell her that you love her and support her, but that she is out of control and she needs to seek help, take action, or reign herself in when she is flying off the handle.
    On a personal note, I get hormonally crazy once a month (like many women). While this is only a fraction of what your wife is likely going through, I have found a trick that seems to help. When I start going insane, I acknowledge that it is the hormones hijacking my brain and it becomes easier to control it. For instance, if I am getting angry/sobbing/maniacally laughing, etc. I say to Adam "I am being irrational. Ignore me for a minute while I get it out of my system and I will be right with you."

@ Timo: JEEEBUS! That baby is cuter and cuter in every new picture you post. You should cash in on those good looks and get him into baby modeling!
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Oh dear. You poor guy! I really wish I could remember what my mother was like when she was pregnant with my brother. My father told me once that it was the worst time of his life. He got through it by simply making himself scarce when she got into one of her fits. This sounds like a bad idea.
  • Do not listen to Kate's advice, proving her irrationality to her will only lead to madness and problems in your future. If you need to confront her on these issues do it through a family member (on her side) such as her mother or sister. Talk to them and ask them to intercede on your behalf.
  • The extremity of her mood swings are concerning.
    From what I understand, having known many mothers in my life, those sorts of extreme mood swings are typical during pregnancy. Your hormones are fluctuating wildly; it's supposed to be an order of magnitude worse than any PMS.

However, you should make sure she doesn't swing into dangerous irrationality. Be as calm and reasonable as possible when she's being irrational, but don't expect her behavior to change. She is harboring a macro-parasite, after all.
  • edited January 2010
    Don't listen to The Tick. Kate's a bit more on the ball.
    *Any* psychologist or psychiatrist will rightfully advise that the first step in mastering a chemical imbalance is to recognize that the irrational thoughts are merely a result of that chemical imbalance. Knowing that the feelings are the result of a chemical imbalance puts them in perspective as irrational, and it is then easier for the rational mind to take over and master them.

It is certainly hard to live with somebody having chemical-induced emotional outbursts-- I have a lot of first-hand experience with that with close friends and family members. However, you need to imagine what it is like to be in her shoes. She's not used to dealing with those hormones. Her sadness, anger, and frustration might be doubled by the fact that she's confused by and ashamed of the severity of her emotions. Dealing with all that is scary and very, very frustrating!

My advise is not to take too much advise. What works for some people may not work for you and your wife. Besides, would she appreciate you enumerating her problems on the internet, and then using advise you got from geeknights forumites you don't know?

When she seems more stable, sit down and talk with her honestly but with empathy, and work out together how you want to approach the next 7 months as a couple. Watch that your language isn't too accusatory, but do be honest about the problems. Don't just talk about the negatives, so she'll stay with you....talk about some of the positives, like how you're happy to be having a baby with her. Be sure to give her room to express her thoughts and feelings, and brainstorm ideas together on how each of you can best manage and prevent various recurring situations and incidents.
    Post edited by Nillia on
  • edited January 2010
    I like how the women here are saying to be rational and try and reason and the men are saying run the fuck away. Clearly we know the right answer to this issue.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Nine weeks is still early enough for an abortion.

If she won't agree to an abortion, do you have any stairs in your house?
  • edited January 2010
    I'm pretty sure The Tick just meant to not follow Kate's advice in terms of trying film her irrational moments and then try to confront her about them. As we know well, confronting an irrational person using a rational perspective can often turn ugly. I don't think anyone disagrees with Kate's second advice, but for that to work it would require his wife to identify her mood swings on her own, which it is strongly possible that she won't.

Also Nilla, I think you're being a bit cold by calling what Jason is doing "enummerating her problems to the Internet". Many of us, including Jason, have been around this forum for the past 3-4 years. Many of us have talked to him outside of the forum on AIM and Skype as well. Jason is seeking the advice of a group of friends that he trusts the opinion of, not bitching at some faceless entity.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I like how the women here are saying to be rational and try and reason and the men are saying run the fuck away. Clearly we know the right answer to this issue.
    The right answer is that pregnancy throws you completely out of whack, and the irrationality is largely beyond your control. We're talking about serious behavior modification through changes in chemical balance.

You can't change her mood swings, and her reactions to them during pregnancy will often be completely involuntary. The sex hormones govern behavior in humans, and pregnancy royally fucks with your hormone balance.

You can try to address the issues with her calmly and rationally, but it probably won't change anything, and that's really nobody's fault. Well, OK, I guess you could blame the both of you for getting pregnant in the first place, but that's sort of a moot point. Jason's wife is going to be behaving outside of her own control because that's what pregnancy does.

Don't "run away" from it. Stay strong, and help your wife to weather this. It's harder on her. Your discomfort here is less important than hers. Yes, it's still important, and you should remember to tend to your own sanity as well, but remember that everything you do, you're doing for both her and your unborn child.

Best of luck!
  • @ Hungry Joe: Not funny. Not cool.
  • The other entertaining part is the amount of people giving advice that have not been pregnant or have been in a relationship with a pregnant woman (other then The Tick and Timo)
  • The other entertaining part is the amount of people giving advice that have not been pregnant or have been in a relationship with a pregnant woman (other then The Tick and Timo)
    X2 I'm inclined to agree with Tick's advice simply because I think Kate's advice would elicit a "YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND, YOU'RE A MAN!!!" reaction.
  • edited January 2010
    The other entertaining part is the amount of people giving advice that have not been pregnant or have been in a relationship with a pregnant woman (other then The Tick and Timo)
    Hey, I count too. I had to deal with my mom's pregnancy-weirdness almost as much as my dad did.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
    Hey, I count too. I had to deal with my mom's pregnancy-weirdness almost as much as my dad did.
    Crazy mothers I think are a different problem, then crazy spouses.. I mean my mom is going crazy because my sister is pregnant (probably more then my sister is)^_^
  • @ Hungry Joe: Not funny. Not cool.
    It wasn't meant to be funny. That's my real advice. Abortion is still an option, Jason. If it goes to term, you'll be exposed to this craziness for months to come. THEN, you'll have post-partum craziness to deal with for an indeterminate time thereafter.

Abort now and if you both still want a kid afterwards, adopt one from China or someplace.
  • edited January 2010
    It wasn't meant to be funny. That's my real advice. Abortion is still an option, Jason. If it goes to term, you'll be exposed to this craziness for months to come. THEN, you'll have post-partum craziness to deal with for an indeterminate time thereafter.

Abort now and if you both still want a kid afterwards, adopt one from China or someplace.

I just...consider even trying to explain that. "Yeah, we were pregnant, but my wife started being a huge bitch, so we had the baby aborted."
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Another thing to keep in mind is that once the baby is born your wife will never be the same again. I don't mean that as a threat but it is true.

Any attention you receive from her now will be split about 99-1 in the child's favor after the child is born. Things she quickly forgave you for in the past will not be so quickly forgiven in the future. You will not be two crazy kids in love but a family and don't expect any lazy days running around the house naked either!

Just try and be supportive even when she is being crazy. Don't tell your friends about how crazy she is in any sort of detail, you don't want those stories coming back to her in the future. Yeah, it may seem like fun to tell the guys at work all about how your wife wakes up in the middle of the night to go and stand in the bathroom with the lights out but you need to keep those things private.

When she is acting rational you can talk to her but don't offer her any advice or attempt to "fix" her. Just listen and show some empathy, that is all she wants. She has to do the heavy lifting on this one so the least you can do is be supportive.
  • Another thing to keep in mind is that once the baby is born your wife will never be the same again. I don't mean that as a threat but it is true.

Any attention you receive from her now will be split about 99-1 in the child's favor after the child is born. Things she quickly forgave you for in the past will not be so quickly forgiven in the future. You will not be two crazy kids in love but a family and don't expect any lazy days running around the house naked either!

Just try and be supportive even when she is being crazy. Don't tell your friends about how crazy she is in any sort of detail, you don't want those stories coming back to her in the future. Yeah, it may seem like fun to tell the guys at work all about how your wife wakes up in the middle of the night to go and stand in the bathroom with the lights out but you need to keep those things private.

When she is acting rational you can talk to her but don't offer her any advice or attempt to "fix" her. Just listen and show some empathy, that is all she wants. She has to do the heavy lifting on this one so the least you can do is be supportive.
    For more info on this, as well as how life never turns out how you wanted exactly, watch "Marley and Me."