This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Civilization V

1789101113»

Comments

• I'm down; if not for this test game, then for the bigger one later.
  • Churba said:

Is there some way to watch, without playing? I don't particularly want to play civ, but I do want to see all you lot nuking the shit out of each other.

If you're playing through Steam can't you watch your friend's games if they've set Steam Broadcasting on?
  • I can show you my screen, which won't be ideal if anyone decides to have a peek... ;^)

Also, after the first 100 turns or so, the game is basically play-by-mail. You'd be lucky to see anything.
  • I've been getting my skills up for this potential Pit Boss game, one change that urks me slightly is that diplomatic victory is much longer to get, you can't just build the UN you need to advance to the information age before it unlocks.

However I was toying with the idea of doing a Civ V LAN party/board game weekend this summer in between cons. I have more than enough space and if people bring their own equipment I will be able to let people crash if need be for epic game. Would anyone be interested in this?
  • I would be!
  • Depending on the distance, and if you're willing to host a random stranger geek, I'd definitely be interested.
  • Coldguy said:

I've been getting my skills up for this potential Pit Boss game, one change that urks me slightly is that diplomatic victory is much longer to get, you can't just build the UN you need to advance to the information age before it unlocks.

I usually use the diplomatic victory as a sneak up win, pretend like I'm going for other outcomes while heavy researching and setting up the diplomatic victory, if I win with another method that's great but if it gets to info age I'm already ahead and on the way to winning.
  • We're playing a lot of Civ V lately. We have an FRC GMR game going, and Scott and I have played a couple of two-player toy games.

Here's the state of the second of those games at about the 50 turn mark.

• edited April 2016
    Yea on a Pangaea, in a low player count game, you would never want to go for the Great library unless you thought the other person was going for it and you had the advantage. Otherwise you pump out units while they waste time building the wonder and end the game real quick.

I only went for it in the big game, because I figured everyone would be smart enough to not go for it if they had other civ's next to them, and I was isolated... too bad I was wrong :-p
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Clearly, Civ V is the Food Chain Magnate of computer games.