This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• Ugh, I read too slow to watch anything subtitled on Netflix.
  • canine224 said:

Ugh, I read too slow to watch anything subtitled on Netflix.

Not sure how to respond to that positively.
    Maybe start reading some books, the more dense and interesting the story the better as your brain will just want to know what happens next, you just get faster similar to any other activity your brain has to perform. It will create shortcuts between frequently used neurons and you will be able to read faster.
  • Oh, my reading speed isn't what bothers me, it's that when you pause something on Netflix while watch it with subtitles it will skip the next line or two of subtitles after unpausing. I can keep up with a decent amount of films that need subtitles but I have to pause on some faster ones.

I haven't even noticed this issue with Netflix until now as I could keep up with everything else I watched on there; I just got really annoyed last night.
  • I think the only show I remember having trouble with the subtitles was Ghost in the Shell, but I like the dubs on that anyway.
  • In Alabama. I've never hated the south like you guys tend to, and my time here isn't changing that. I would say that there hasn't been much change since reconstruction, but that's not the fault of most people. There's a handful of very powerful individuals who advance backwards agendas, while the majority of the state is just trying to find its next meal. I see houses so run down they'd be abandoned in Maine, but here they're still inhabited. And there's no opportunity for economic mobility. The only place you can make real money is the military establishments or the NASA centers, but those require degrees that are beyond the reach of the natives. Their public education is a shitshow. Straight A's in an Alabama school looks in the eyes of an admissions official at Harvard like the C's and D's I got at Latin. What are you going to do so that you can afford to get out of here?

This whole region is like if Freehold, NJ was three states large.
  • So, FRCF, what would you like to know about my chimpanzee great uncle Jojo Boy von Hoffman?

I ask because here at TvHQ, we don't know much either. Last night there was great discussion of him with my uncle and aunt, which lead to her calling up my grandfather to ask him about it. We're arranging a trip up to his place in Maine to record an interview on the subject. Nick doesn't do well with open ended questions like "tell us about your chimpanzee brother", so we need to ask him specifics.

The story so far:

Jojo Boy was born in Africa. What brought great grandfather Karl von Hoffman to Africa (or where in Africa this was) is unknown, however he made many journeys through the continent as an explorer, so his being there is no surprise. Jojo Boy was supposedly found clinging to his mother who had been decapitated by a falling tree the night before. Like Andrew Jackson rescuing the orphaned Lyncoya, Karl rescued Jojo Boy and brought him under his wing, treating him as a son. The validity of this origin myth is questionable, as Karl was notorious for embelishing stories. The theory amongst current generation von Hoffmans is that he shot and killed Jojo's mother, not realizing she had a child, and adopted him then.

Karl brought Jojo Boy back to his home in Greenwich Village. My grandfather had yet to be born, so Jojo was Karl's only son. He dressed like a human, went with his parents out and about the city, ate at the dinner table, and generally operated just like a human child would. Jojo had a hatred for the color red, but loved tomatos.

Jojo's lifespan did overlap with my grandfather, however Jojo met an untimely demise when Nick was but eight years old. He developed diabetes and arthritis, the former caused by his insatiable sweet tooth. Nick informed us that he took ten sugars in his coffee (my father then asked "how did the sugar get in the coffee", to which Nick answered "he put it in there." Ask a silly question, get a silly answer).

So, what else should we ask?
  • Apreche said:
    I don't think Sonic fanart has EVER been popular outside of crap sprite flash animations. And this is me talking.
  • edited July 2015
    Huh, so reddit basically just imploded into a site-wide drama fit. Bigger than the recent subreddit banwave, even.

Dis_gon_be_gud.gif
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Churba said:

Huh, so reddit basically just imploded.

Making me Google this shit. You got some 'splainin' to do!

Or just read from this link:

http://gizmodo.com/reddit-is-tearing-itself-apart-1715545184
  • THAT explains why I couldn't get on AskReddit!
  • Got my popcorn for this Reddit nonsense. Seeing as I only subscribe to niche subreddits, nothing blocked for me. But the NY Mets subreddit was discussing blacking out just so we can avoid suffering since we started sucking. Hey, it's July! We lasted about a month longer than usual.
  • I want to know where in the corporate world it's reasonable to expect a CEO to tell you why they let any particular employee go.

Like, OK, fine, you can be mad that someone you like is gone now - but no, the corporation doesn't owe you an explanation as to why they were let go. In fact, I think there are laws protecting people from having their employers expose the reason for their termination.
  • Well that's irritating.
  • I want to know where in the corporate world it's reasonable to expect a CEO to tell you why they let any particular employee go.

Like, OK, fine, you can be mad that someone you like is gone now - but no, the corporation doesn't owe you an explanation as to why they were let go. In fact, I think there are laws protecting people from having their employers expose the reason for their termination.

Yep - California is an At Will state, with (AFAIK) no legal obligation to tell someone why they're fired, and certainly no obligation to tell their userbase why any particular employee, no matter how beloved, was fired.

The only subreddit I really frequent that's gone private is Gamerghazi, so not really too put out.

I think the most hilarious part for me so far has been all the people claiming that as a positive note, this will be the death of all the clickbait sites, the death of all the news sites, and the death of buzzfeed, because OBVIOUSLY all of them just steal their content from Reddit.

• Churba said:

I want to know where in the corporate world it's reasonable to expect a CEO to tell you why they let any particular employee go.

Yep - California is an At Will state, with (AFAIK) no legal obligation to tell someone why they're fired, and certainly no obligation to tell their userbase why any particular employee, no matter how beloved, was fired.

The only subreddit I really frequent that's gone private is Gamerghazi, so not really too put out.

I think the most hilarious part for me so far has been all the people claiming that as a positive note, this will be the death of all the clickbait sites, the death of all the news sites, and the death of buzzfeed, because OBVIOUSLY all of them just steal their content from Reddit.

To be fair a lot of them do, or at the very least there is a suspicious amount of overlap.
  • Of course there's a lot of overlap - they make their coin by posting what's popular on the internet in the former case, for news, they report world events, both things reddit concerns itself with. Buzzfeed is an odd case - they do post things that are popular online, but they also make plenty of their own content, and report the news to boot.

On top of that - how can one steal content from reddit, when reddit doesn't actually make that much content, they just aggregate it from everywhere else?
  • Yes but how would all those other sites know about content without Reddit to discover it for them!?
  • edited July 2015

Yes but how would all those other sites know about content without Reddit to discover it for them!?

Considering how many times I see content going the other way, the same could be said of reddit. It's a symbiotic relationship, not a one way street.

It's just a symbiotic relationship where one party acts like they're above it all, and actually makes all that shit, rather than it just going back and forth.

Even if it were true that it's only a one-way street, then really, the answer is simple - if you draw water from one particular well, and that well dries up, what do you do? Do you give up and die of thirst, or just go over to the next well?
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Next well! Next well! I know this one!
  • edited July 2015
    I think it could be the end of a lot of people's blogs as I've seen at least a couple that do just steal stuff from reddit.

I will agree it's a bit more symbiotic in most cases.

For proof here's my sister's favorite site http://iwastesomuchtime.com
    Post edited by SuperPichu on
  • The Raspberry Berets would be a good name for a team of military-themed magical girls.
  • Raspberets?
  • Human Princess Luna, Lapis Lazuli... I think I have a thing for girls with blue hair and wings.
  • Those sites don't steal from reddit. They steal from Fark and just knowing who to follow on twitter/tumblr. ;^)
  • African-American?

So, European-American, Asian-American, Australian-American, South American-American?
  • It really shows how US-centric much of America is. When describing someone's heritage, we have to add in the fact that they're American. Like it's so ingrained that I have to say African-American but what if they are not in America nor Africa? Do I have to say African-Briton, or African-Mexican?
  • Dazzle369 said:

African-American?

So, European-American, Asian-American, Australian-American, South American-American?

The descendants of Italian and Irish immigrants often call themselves Italian-Americans and Irish-Americans, but I've never heard an "African-American" call themselves as such (not even naturalized citizens that immigrated from Africa, who might say "I'm Gambian", but never "Gambian-American"). I think it's just one of those PC things that got popular despite/because? it being pretty racist.