This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• So speaking of traffic fatalities, it looks like the new Mad Max is so far astoundingly well received despite the internets being filled with chatter about a bunch of misogynists bitching about it:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mad_max_fury_road/

99% Fresh as of this post.
  • I don't think my father ever got past having people to do small tasks like call someone, because he still treats me like an orderly.
  • I just saw a Japanese band playing Celtic punk and ska (The Cherry Coke$) opening for a band releasing a DVD called African Nights. I don't think I've ever seen anyone as happy as their bass player ever.
  • Churba said:

To answer your question from four years ago, Scott, it turns out our traffic fatality rates really are lower than yours. 5.6 per hundred thousand people for Australia, and 11.6 per hundred thousand for the US.

And I must have heard it 4-5 times now, but I'm still crying with laughter at Luke's insane escalation of pranks.

What episode is that?

• I'm assuming the subway car filled with blood.
  • I mean which episode did that appear in?
  • edited May 2015

I mean which episode did that appear in?

Number 44, which we re-released recently.
    Rym said:

I'm assuming the subway car filled with blood.

Oddly enough, no - I remember that well enough that it got a bit of a laugh, but not as much as the first time - it was the bit about the ice-skater.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited May 2015

What episode is that?

Rym said:

I'm assuming the subway car filled with blood.

That was four years ago. I don't think you'll ever live that down, Luke. Speaking of, you two need to come back on the show.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • What is there to live down?
  • The story of it. It was weird and awesome. I'll never forget it, for sure.
  • It's kinda weird watching a bunch of eastern European guys manhandle all the Japanese sumo.
  • Pretty sure this is banned under the SALT treaties.
  • I was going to say that "ermegeherd this is gonna replace DJ-ing" but then I remembered that computers are really stupid sometimes and threw a song that wouldn't be as easy as a dance song like "Gee". I gave it "Something about us" but Daft Punk and it really botched up on the intro. Like... a lot.
  • I like this Scatman one.
  • Running in the 90's looks like a steering wheel.
  • A while ago I helped to conduct a job interview, and I felt kinda bad because while he had the technical expertise necessary to do the job, I had to vote no in the end because he was a "That Guy." But I just couldn't condone the idea of voluntarily choosing to sit next to a That Guy for the foreseeable future.
  • UncleUlty said:

A while ago I helped to conduct a job interview, and I felt kinda bad because while he had the technical expertise necessary to do the job, I had to vote no in the end because he was a "That Guy." But I just couldn't condone the idea of voluntarily choosing to sit next to a That Guy for the foreseeable future.

Why feel bad? You did the right thing. You should feel like a hero for protecting your co-workers from that guy.
  • Apreche said:

UncleUlty said:

A while ago I helped to conduct a job interview, and I felt kinda bad because while he had the technical expertise necessary to do the job, I had to vote no in the end because he was a "That Guy." But I just couldn't condone the idea of voluntarily choosing to sit next to a That Guy for the foreseeable future.

Why feel bad? You did the right thing. You should feel like a hero for protecting your co-workers from that guy.
    For real.

The realest reality is that "that guy" is a real liability in most workplaces. Not being "that guy" is something we should have certifications for that you can put on your resume.
  • edited May 2015
    The last place I worked had "that guy" as the company's devops/tools guy. I dunno what his official title was but he would write tools for individual team's needs for logistics stuff (writing scripts for our teams mercurial setup and whatnot). He needed to help set me up for something because I was gone the day he was here setting up. He's walking me through stuff and I needed to comment out a specific line in a Perl script. I hadn't used Perl before so I just did C syntax comment, but Perl is a scripting language so it takes scripting syntax.

All he needed to say was either "the syntax is actually the pound sign" or "perl is a scripting language" and I would have immediately figured it out. He was sitting right by me so he could have nicely pointed it out and we could move on. Instead he decided to be really condescending and say something along the lines of "how do you not know scripting comments?" or some shit like that. I was really fucking pissed off about it for a while.

Fuck that guy.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • edited May 2015
    What I don't like is that the music stops as soon as the tab is no longer being displayed. Not even when it loses focus (though that would be worse) just when it's not visible. I think this is a chrome issue, so I'm gonna test it in IE.
    EDIT: The site does not work in IE, apparently.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Mother of god.

Dude did go insane writing that piece, though.
  • edited May 2015

What I don't like is that the music stops as soon as the tab is no longer being displayed. Not even when it loses focus (though that would be worse) just when it's not visible. I think this is a chrome issue, so I'm gonna test it in IE.
    EDIT: The site does not work in IE, apparently.

You can work around the loss of focus problem by separating out the tab from the rest of the browser however it still fails if you minimise the window.
    This one didn't even need modification -

Edit: Tried 99 Problems it loses all narrative quality but the choruses sound pretty great.
    Post edited by sK0pe on

With this page, PATROL is the longest RPG PDF I've made thus far. And I'm not even done the Action section yet! I haven't even written out the combat actions!

I know I'm posting about it a lot, but it is all I've done for the past two days straight and it's starting to drive me mad.

(Okay not entirely true. I made brownies at one point.)
  • Like JetBlue? You won't for long if Wall Street has anything to say about it. http://www.thestreet.com/story/12851404/2/jetblue-analysts-say-bring-us-the-head-of-dave-barger.html
  • 2bfree said:

Like JetBlue? You won't for long if Wall Street has anything to say about it. http://www.thestreet.com/story/12851404/2/jetblue-analysts-say-bring-us-the-head-of-dave-barger.html

Jet Blue isn't even 20 years old. If they start to be shareholder friendly, instead of customer friendly, it just creates a vacuum that can be occupied by a competitor. No matter how much you squeeze out of each individual customer, you will not be profitable if the customers leave to go to another airline.

In the short term this will help JetBlue because they currently have a lot of customers. Even if they start sucking, the other airlines are still worse. As soon as the next JetBlue appears, they'll be just like all the rest.
  • How often do new airlines pop up though? I feel like that hole could be there a while.
  • Ikatono said:

How often do new airlines pop up though? I feel like that hole could be there a while.

How long was the hole there before JetBlue filled it?