This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• When it rains it pours - finishing up testing a data structure for efficiency for a data structure, need to start and finish a major data mining project in less than a week, sitting lab exams, studying for final semester exams, preparing for Google Interview next week and making arrangements (pre-op checks) for my foot's corrective surgery the day after my last exam.

I'm usually super organised but University releasing assignments late combined with getting interviewed and the surgery was not expected.
  • I've now reached the point in my anime viewing where I understand just enough Japanese to get a little annoyed when the translation in the subtitles is poor.
  • I have spent exactly $139.98 on Humble Bundles. Holy shit.
  • Just noticed that co-workers were putting rechargeable batteries in chargers built for other brands of batteries. There were even some non-rechargeable lithium batteries in there. WTF.
  • Apreche said:

Just noticed that co-workers were putting rechargeable batteries in chargers built for other brands of batteries. There were even some non-rechargeable lithium batteries in there. WTF.

People used to try and "recharge" alkaline batteries.

People have no idea how batteries work.

• People don't read.
  • Apreche said:

Just noticed that co-workers were putting rechargeable batteries in chargers built for other brands of batteries. There were even some non-rechargeable lithium batteries in there. WTF.

Well other brands is fine, as long as its the same chemistry and voltage, but trying to recharge a regular CR123 or something is a good way to cause a small explosion, even more so than an alkaline.

• Apreche said:

Well other brands is fine, as long as its the same chemistry and voltage, but trying to recharge a regular CR123 or something is a good way to cause a small explosion, even more so than an alkaline.

There was an Energizer Advanced Lithium battery, which isn't even rechargeable, in a NiMH recharger.

• Apreche said:

Apreche said:

There was an Energizer Advanced Lithium battery, which isn't even rechargeable, in a NiMH recharger.

Yeah that person is a fire hazard.
  • We discovered a rooster in our back yard. I live in Portland, OR. This somehow never happened when I lived in Georgia, although we did get a snake in our dryer. Portland is weird.
  • It feels so good to be carrying millions of a currency, even if it is just Dong.
  • You have millions of dongs.
  • Pegu said:

You have millions of dongs.

Thank you for not resisting the childish joke I resisted.
  • I do have millions of Dongs. What's strange is that they all have little faces with amazing beards.

This also the first time in a long time where I've been on a plane and had leg room! I can sit conformably!
  • Pirates make great singers, because they can hit the High Cs.
  • Biked to the BBQ. Then biked around to burn it off. Ran into 2 other street fairs with food. How did they even compete?
  • Apreche said:

Biked to the BBQ. Then biked around to burn it off. Ran into 2 other street fairs with food. How did they even compete?

Street fairs are all the time? And cheaper?

Maybe those people don't Internet and know about superior street food?

• Rym said:

Apreche said:

Biked to the BBQ. Then biked around to burn it off. Ran into 2 other street fairs with food. How did they even compete?

Street fairs are all the time? And cheaper?

Maybe those people don't Internet and know about superior street food?

Want to know something worse? The Shake Shack in the park was open during the BBQ. This was understandably one of the few times the shack did not have a line. You could just walk right up. Granted, it probably never has much of a line on 11AM on Saturday.

But there were still quite a few people eating at Shake Shack and not eating BBQ. I think a lot of foot traffic sees there is a big event, but automatically assumes it's not for them, and are too timid to even take a closer look.
  • There are so many things happening here that you sort of learn to ignore crowds.

Today, there was a loud concert going on over on Roosevelt Island. We could hear it during our morning bike. Police boats around the island too. Tons of satellite trucks.

Some hipster band, and also Hillary Clinton, apparently.
  • Rym said:

There are so many things happening here that you sort of learn to ignore crowds.

Today, there was a loud concert going on over on Roosevelt Island. We could hear it during our morning bike. Police boats around the island too. Tons of satellite trucks.

Some hipster band, and also Hillary Clinton, apparently.

While I'm sure it had music, it wasn't a concert. It was Hillary Clinton's campaign launch rally.
  • You can break Steam webhelper, and in particular, the summer sale browser game, by clicking fast enough.
  • I am working my way through every episode of Geek Nights that has been posted.

I just listened to the first 150! It has been interesting to listen to the prediction that Rym and Scott make with my future knowledge.
  • Tomovasky said:

I am working my way through every episode of Geek Nights that has been posted.

I just listened to the first 150! It has been interesting to listen to the prediction that Rym and Scott make with my future knowledge.

Were we right?

• Apreche said:

Tomovasky said:

Were we right?

Unfortunately I don't remember any specifics, but I do remember you guys being hilariously wrong about a few things. I think overall you've done pretty well though.
  • Ikatono said:

Apreche said:

Tomovasky said:

Were we right?

Unfortunately I don't remember any specifics, but I do remember you guys being hilariously wrong about a few things. I think overall you've done pretty well though.
    We were right that PC gaming was dead. We were wrong in that we didn't think it could rise from the dead.

• Rym said:

Ikatono said:

Apreche said:

Tomovasky said:

Were we right?

We were right that PC gaming was dead. We were wrong in that we didn't think it could rise from the dead.

In the US anyway.
  • We were wrong that TF2 was going to be a great game we'd keep playing after launch.

We were wrong that Apple was going to drop their workstation line.
  • I don't think I've had this flavor.

• I have. Wasn't worth the existential crisis.
  • Apreche said:

Tomovasky said:

Were we right?

So far you guys were right about most of the tech/ computer related stuff.
    I found it funny how excited over the news of the Wii you were, for me that is the thing you made the biggest prediction about that did not pan out.