This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• I'm pretty sure I worked it out once, you've got a better hit-rate than Ray Kurzweil.
  • Tomovasky said:

Apreche said:

Tomovasky said:

I am working my way through every episode of Geek Nights that has been posted.

I just listened to the first 150! It has been interesting to listen to the prediction that Rym and Scott make with my future knowledge.

Were we right?

So far you guys were right about most of the tech/ computer related stuff.
    I found it funny how excited over the news of the Wii you were, for me that is the thing you made the biggest prediction about that did not pan out.
    That's when we learned a valuable lesson. Nintendo never fulfills its potential. Up until that point, they had, mostly. Nintendo's failures prior to that point were the Virtual Boy, The Power Glove, The Super Scope, The Power Pad, GCN-GBA link cable, etc. These were mostly sideshows, and not main attractions. The Wii/Revolution was the first time they made their weird thing the main attraction. Now we know.
  • edited June 2015
    The Sunday meeting between EU officials and the Greeks was supposed to provide an agreement that could be nodded off on Thursday at an EU summit, the final chance (no, really this time) to work something out to avoid a Grexit.

They parted after 45 minutes. Greek officials said the EU didn't compromise; the EU officials said instead of meeting at the appointed hour, the Greeks had breakfast.

This, I think, adequately sums up the current state of affairs.
    Post edited by Banta on
  • Hand started cramping today because I had 2 exams, I haven't written for 4 hours straight in a while... oh wait since last time I went to University.
  • Nintendo endlessly produces tech demos and then fervently hopes that third party devs will carry the weight of actually implementing their genius. Third party devs who do Nintendo mostly just want to make ports from other systems and/or low effort cash grabs that these days could be an app on a phone.

For some reason, Nintendo has kept on doing this despite the fact that it never works out. What their real motivation is, I don't know, but it seems like they can't REALLY be this oblivious in trying a failed formula over and over.
  • US Senate overwhelmingly votes to ban torture, despite Republican opposition http://circanews.com/s/mvK

Huzzah! At least if it does what it says...
  • I just realized YikYak is pretty much the physical incarnation of the greater internet fuckwad theory. image
  • I haven't seen that many assholes on Yik Yak, really. I mean some sure, but most of the worse its dumbasses looking for weed like that isn't the easiest sting operation around.
  • I haven't seen that many assholes on Yik Yak, really. I mean some sure, but most of the worse its dumbasses looking for Sex like that isn't the easiest sting operation around.

• Well that too, but that's more of a good way to get robbed than arrested.
  • I live near a college campus. 90% of posts on yik yak are people looking for a pot buddy or sex.
  • Oh no, I'm old. I had to Google to find out what Yik Yak was.
  • I'm not going to Google and just assume that Yik Yak has nothing to do with Yaks. But it would be awesome if it was about Yaks.
  • edited June 2015
    It's an app where people can post things anonymously and those posts are shared with people in the local area.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • How many ethnic slurs are there?
  • Pegu said:

It's an app where people can post things anonymously and those posts are shared with people in the local area.

• Apreche said:

Oh no, I'm old. I had to Google to find out what Yik Yak was.

I found out about it from the Giant Bombcast, I believe the person who mentioned it is 39 or 40. You have hope yet. ;)
  • The state of the universe at it's end governs the outcome of a quantum event in another universe.

Where does the fractal end?
  • Greg said:

Pegu said:

Because college campuses.
  • So it's like going to the local dive bar and writing obscenities in the bathroom stalls. But now you do it on your phone. Cool.
  • The only time I've heard it mentioned before was because it was being used to anonymously bully grade school kids.
  • New Wikipedia (might be old by now) web interface is quite awesome, just like using the android application.
  • I want like every shirt from all the GTO manga.
  • edited June 2015
    Ruffas said:

The only time I've heard it mentioned before was because it was being used to anonymously bully grade school kids.

It was kinda cool for a couple weeks and has been on the decline ever since. It hasn't really been relevant for 6-7 months, especially now that old people know about it.

EDIT: IIRC yikyak is disabled near schools (except colleges) to prevent this sort of thing.
    Post edited by Ikatono on
  • I feel like using an emulator for an Atari 2600 game is cheating because you're not using the janky controller that was half the challenge.
  • Pegu said:

I feel like using an emulator for an Atari 2600 game is cheating because you're not using the janky controller that was half the challenge.

That controller worked perfectly if well maintained. ;^)

• Turns out there's no direct documentation that John Quincy Adams believed there were mole people inside the hollow earth, but there is reason to believe he did and it is somehow even more hilarious.

So, it begins with John Cleves Symmes, Jr, who was a flat Earth believer. He and his followers were able to urge Congress to fund an expedition to the antarctic to conduct trade with the inhabitants of the inside of earth. Opponents of the proposal stated that colonizing a land so remote would be a poor choice of resources, and would be an ultimately costly venture (they notably did not argue that the earth is solid). JQA never officially weighed in on the issue -- besides one remark in his journal that he supported an exploration of "the southern sea". No mention of the presence or lack there of of mole people.

We may never know JQA's beliefs, because the proposal died in Congress. However, in the following administration, the proposal found quite a bit of success, and nearly made it into law before the recently elected President, Andrew Jackson, "put an end to it" (I'm not sure exactly what that means).

The efforts were not futile, however. Symmes' inspired one Mr Jeremiah Reynolds, notable for writing a short story called "Mocah Dick." I'll let you figure out who read that. Reynolds fought admirably for the expedition, gathering funding for an exploration of the same general area, but not based in the hollow earth theory. Jackson approved of finding more brown people to kill, and funded the Wilkes Expedition, which was significant in ways I don't completely understand.