This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Mobile Board Games [iOS & Android]

Comments

• If you guys have a fourth slot on that Carcassonne game, I'm in. VentureJ.
  • Is it just me or the voice that tells you that it's your turn is the same voice of Professor Herschel Layton? If so, that makes me so happy.
  • Is it just me or the voice that tells you that it's your turn is the same voice of Professor Herschel Layton? If so, that makes me so happy.
    Over the entire time I've owned an iPhone, it has probably been off of silent mode for maybe a few hours. That being said, when it accidentally got switched off of silent one day and yelled "it's your turn" from the other side of the room, it freaked us the fuck out.
  • How does an asynchronous match work? If I start a game and invite others. Do the players get a notification to play? If you close out the game will you get a notification when it's your turn?
  • How does an asynchronous match work? If I start a game and invite others. Do the players get a notification to play? If you close out the game will you get a notification when it's your turn?
    Yes.
  • edited January 2012
    That's awesome I had no idea you could do that. What if a player is taking way to long to play their turn. Is there a time limit or option to quit/forfeit a game?
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • That's awesome I had no idea you could do that. What if a player is taking way to long to play their turn. Is there a time limit or option to quit/forfeit a game?
    In Ascension you can set up time limits from 10min to 7days, works like a chess clock. Dunno about Carc. I think it might time out after a few days?

• I think my current license agreement with the company that is publishing Quartile ends this year. I need to investigate having it turned into an iOS or XBLA game.
    Yes.
    But only if the person has notifications enabled for, e.g, Carcassonne. The one thing that is slightly annoying about Carcassonne is that once you start it up, ell the notifications are cleared. There is tiny little dude in the gear of the game screen telling you that you have other moves to make in other games but no notification of, e.g. outstanding game invites, or even games that are ready to start. This, btw, is why it took me like a day or two to start our game with Ro and Matt.

When I have Carcassone running it is in the game screen 99% of the time so I never see the little visual clues that tell you a game is ready to start in the list of onine games. I don't think I'm an exeptional use case and it seems like bad app design if you have important notification for the user in a place that gets visited very seldomly.

• I definitely like the syncing of the game from iPad to iPhone and vice versa. Since my iPad is wi-fi only, I was playing the game yesterday on my iPhone. When I got home and opened up the app on my iPad it updated and showed the animation of all the moves done from the last time it synced.
  • I definitely like the syncing of the game from iPad to iPhone and vice versa. Since my iPad is wi-fi only, I was playing the game yesterday on my iPhone. When I got home and opened up the app on my iPad it updated and showed the animation of all the moves done from the last time it synced.
    Nice touch.

• Is T&E on iOS multiplayer? I'd really like to get a game going, since it supports asynchronous play.
  • I am victorious!

If it wasn't for me claiming the farm early, I would have easily got my ass handed to me. Good game.
  • Hey looks like someone made a version of Dominion for iPhone and iPad... it's also free. As far as I know,theres also an official version being worked on, so this will probably be pulled out of the app store soon, so grab it now if you want it! http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dominion-by-donald-x.-vaccarino/id447395574?mt=8

I got this, but I'll still buy an official version when it's released, cause itll probably be a lot better :) This is a decent enough version though.
  • Oh hey actually nevermind it's here to stay:

Just to clarify things on this issue if I can at this point. Over the past two years, RGG has been approached by a number of people asking to do a "casual" and free app for Dominion. In such cases, we have usually said yes with the stipulation that once the "official" Dominion app became available that the free app would be removed. Cory is one of those who asked and, as with others, we gave him permission to develop a free Dominion app, which I understand he has finished. I admit some surprise as it has been months since we last spoke and I had assumed he had decided not to complete the app. In any case, as long as it is free, it is allowed, at least for a few weeks until the licensed app becomes available.

I am sorry if there has been any confusion regarding this.

Thanks

Jay
    RGG
  • Woot!

Very close game. I love asynchronous play! I was able to pull out a slight lead with a luckily-placed farmer.
  • edited January 2012
    The real reason you won was taking over my large (20+ points) city in the beginning. The farmer just saved you from my attempt (which would have worked) to catch up and overtake you. Nicely done!
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • I really suck at this Hero Academy game.

I have yet to win. I've played several people on the forum, Dave Riley, and people on Twitter. I am probably doing it wrong. I wish you can play against a friend locally and just switch the phone back and forth. That would be nice.
  • I installed Hero Academy and then uninstalled it before playing it because I detected micro-transaction bullshit.
  • edited January 2012
    I installed Hero Academy and then uninstalled it before playing it because I detected micro-transaction bullshit.
    I detected that before installing it :-) thus never did.

• I installed Hero Academy and then uninstalled it before playing it because I detected micro-transaction bullshit.
    I detected that before installing it :-) thus never did.

I detected a whiff, but installed anyway because good people recommended it, and it was turn based strategy-ish.

• Hero Academy is awesome. Almost all of the Micro-transactions are purely aesthetic anyway, so they don't really bother me at all.
  • Hero academy is fucking awesome.
    There is ONE micro transaction you have to make. It both removes all adds and ads the other playable race. All for $2.

Just pretend you paid $2 for the game.

This game should not be this polished for the price. The fact this game, among others, even exists is beyond me. Add in a single player campaign and it could be a $60 DS game. Instead it's $2 and you get to rape your friends from across the world.

It's chess by mail for the year 2012.

"InvaderREN". HIT ME UP!!!!
  • It is not the total price that we (at least I) are objecting to, it is the philosophy behind selling "free" products when, in fact, they are not free.

Be honest, sell it for a price, have in app purchases of real valua adding content (see e.g. Carcassonne expansions) but don't sell a "free" app that has ads in it and charge to get rid of the ads, then charge to make the game playable, then charge for cosmetic "upgrades".

I don't respect people who think that that is any decent way to treat their customer. It also speaks volumes of what they think their target audience is and I can see that I am not in that audience.

Price differentiation is a valid strategy but there are right and wrong ways of doing it.
  • I think I've got 1 or 2 games of 4-5 player Carcassonne in me before I need a break. I've always played it as a 2-player only game. So different with more! I love the chess match feel of a 2-player game, but with a group, it feels more like a stock market game where you can only win by getting a piece of everybody's pie. With half (or less) of the opportunities to place a tile, you can't win alone, and it lessens the value of blocking other people since your own moves are so few and precious.
  • edited January 2012
    You're just cross because you lost ;-).

I like the multiplayer more that the two player exactly because there is a strong collaborative aspect. It's not so easy to pull of in an online game though because you can't plan and scheme and corrupt.

• So is there just nothing worthwhile for Android on this front? That's kinda annoying.
  • Codito/Sage, probably the best developer of iOS board games has consistently been promising Android versions. Don't know if any have come out though.

Big Daddy, the guys who did Neuroshima Hex and Caylus are also Android devs, but again, they promise the Android versions 6+ months after the iOS one is done.

There is a mobile board gaming blog on BoardGameGeek that is featured in the top right-hand corner, and they've got a guy who does an android-specific column. You may want to check there.
  • edited January 2012
    The last Android post there was in October. So yeah. That's what you've got. The only geeky game of note mentioned there is Through the Desert, but I know there's a ton more on the way at some point. Everyone major developer I know is working on at least 1 port of their successful iOS titles.
    Post edited by Matt on