This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Mobile Board Games [iOS & Android]

Comments

• I love the ascension app but i also have big issues with it. The game creation has no way to specify whether you want an asynchronous or real-time game, so sometimes you get a mixed crowd of expectations and the game goes nowhere, people drop out, AI does not take over. When this occurs, I drop out too, but every few days I log in and all of a sudden it tells me I have 8 or 9 active games! These zombie games keep coming back no matter how many times I forfeit out of them.
    Lol, oh yeah, sometimes you have a couple of pages of "ghost games". Their online is not quite working correctly, but ive NEVER had an issue where I create a 2 player game and someone joins. Also, spamming refresh into the game lobby lets you spot a new game as it's created, and joining a freshly created game works 90% of the time.

I'm more annoyed that I cannot seem to join an onlien game of Puerto Rico... Is no one playing? the app is decent enough. :/
  • I love the ascension app but i also have big issues with it. The game creation has no way to specify whether you want an asynchronous or real-time game, so sometimes you get a mixed crowd of expectations and the game goes nowhere, people drop out, AI does not take over. When this occurs, I drop out too, but every few days I log in and all of a sudden it tells me I have 8 or 9 active games! These zombie games keep coming back no matter how many times I forfeit out of them.
    Lol, oh yeah, sometimes you have a couple of pages of "ghost games". Their online is not quite working correctly, but ive NEVER had an issue where I create a 2 player game and someone joins. Also, spamming refresh into the game lobby lets you spot a new game as it's created, and joining a freshly created game works 90% of the time.

I'm more annoyed that I cannot seem to join an onlien game of Puerto Rico... Is no one playing? the app is decent enough. :/
    Yeah starting your own 2-player game is the only guaranteed way to actually get a game in. If someone booted up the app for the first time and didn't know any better, they would hit the lobby, join a game that is waiting for one more player, and then wait for infinity because the guy who set up that game is already gone. That's unacceptable, and is really a shame because once you get into a game, it works so well.
  • @Matt - Exactly right. Unless you use the online for a while, you might think it does not work at all.

If they release the expansion set for this app, I will have a heart attack from happyness.
  • Wow big news here. Incinerator Studios signed a deal with Lookout games and is going right for the big fish in their catalog: Agricola. These are the guys who did the Ascension app that we just dissected above (awesome implementation of the game, shit lobbies and matchmaking). The good news is that Incinerator has 3 or 4 other games to do before they finish Agricola so maybe they will get wise.

Other big news is that Settlers of Catan is getting the Cities & Knights expansion. I've never played it, and feel that the Settlers app is a little money-hungry ($5 extra for Seafarers content? I'll pass) but I might just drop the $5 on this to see what all the talk is about. The majority of gamers seem to like Cities & Knights.
  • edited August 2011
    Wow big news here. Incinerator Studios signed a deal with Lookout games and is going right for the big fish in their catalog: Agricola. These are the guys who did the Ascension app that we just dissected above (awesome implementation of the game, shit lobbies and matchmaking). The good news is that Incinerator has 3 or 4 other games to do before they finish Agricola so maybe they will get wise.

Other big news is that Settlers of Catan is getting the Cities & Knights expansion. I've never played it, and feel that the Settlers app is a little money-hungry ($5 extra for Seafarers content? I'll pass) but I might just drop the $5 on this to see what all the talk is about. The majority of gamers seem to like Cities & Knights.
    Agricola!!!! Win! Ascension is still one of the most polished apps on the app store.

Cities and Knights - I'm one of the few who does not like it. I feel like it adds a layer of complexity while not really adding any additional depth. Just MORE things to keep track of and GOD DAMN games can go for 4 hours... Seafarers is cool though, more room is always good. I'd rather play a round of Rico or Agricola.

No High Scores were excited for one of Incinerators up and coming games - Summoner Wars. Supposed to be *pretty* good. Yeah, I haven't googled it yet, I will closer to release, but based on Ascension, probably insta-purchase.
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • Lot of stuff out recently. Ticket to Ride Pocket (the iPhone only version) launched yesterday at the temporary price of $0.99.

Forbidden Island is out for $5 on iPad. I will be passing on this one.

Somewhere along the line Tigris & Euphrates came out as a universal app for $6 as well (I think it released on Monday). Grabbing this right now as I've never actually played T&E, so now I can learn digitally and be able to jump into a real game without awful noob factor ruining everyone's time.
  • Thanks for the scoop. Bought both Ticket to Ride and T&E.
  • TtR doesn't have online multiplayer :-(. The AI is pretty easy to beat and they haven't fixed the scoring so you can trivially win by building just the 6-routes.

Still it's only 99c.
  • So, who here has T&E? I'm ProcessBlue on Game Center, let's get a game going.
  • edited November 2011
    TtR doesn't have online multiplayer :-(. The AI is pretty easy to beat and they haven't fixed the scoring so you can trivially win by building just the 6-routes.

Still it's only 99c.
    Is there a scoring bug I wasn't aware of? If so, that's too bad. Wonder if it is in the iPad version as well. I've put in a TON of time with that app, but really only grabbed the iPhone version cause it's so cheap. Only plaid one round on it so far.

I have T&E but I still haven't sat down to go through the tutorial and learn how to play. I will add you on Game Center though for sure. I believe my name there is Gundabad. Also, my wife and I share a Game Center account on the iPad so if you want to add SuperMorgan, be my guest.

Post edited by Matt on
  • I got Reiner Knizia's Battle Line. I feel like the "strong enemy" mode still isn't hard enough. I also like the rule variant of flag claiming at the start of the turn.

I recently played the computer and "Herman Cain"d him twice. ^__~

• Oh man I love me some Battle Line. I haven't really played since they integrated with Game Center. I'm going to have to send you a match request. I'm pretty sure it works asynchronous now.
  • edited November 2011
    TtR doesn't have online multiplayer :-(. The AI is pretty easy to beat and they haven't fixed the scoring so you can trivially win by building just the 6-routes.
    Is there a scoring bug I wasn't aware of? If so, that's too bad. Wonder if it is in the iPad version as well. I've put in a TON of time with that app, but really only grabbed the iPhone version cause it's so cheap. Only plaid one round on it so far.
    The bug is in the rules of the game not with the iOS implementation. The original TtR route scoring gives you 15 points for finishing a 6 train connection and 10 points for a five train connection, and there are a ton of 6 and 5 long connections on the board. This means that you can more often than not win by picking two cheap tickets at the beginning (never intending to finish them) and just start building 6 long connections. Doing this screwes up other the players' plans as well and forces them to make more smaller connections which gives them less points and takes more turns which means you'll definitely be the first to get rid of all your train cars, further increasing the chances that the other players will also have unfinished tickes in their hands.

TrR Europe fixes this "feature" by elmininating 5 long connections and having very few 6 long connections, so this strategy will generally not yield enough points to win.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • aha, I generally always go for the long routes, probably just from observation that it tends to result in more points, but I hadn't realized the game was so tilted that you could be taking worthless cheap tickets and still come out on top. I'll have to give that a shot and see how it goes. I do love the fact that when you play the big routes, you're often ending the game early. TtR is all about catching the other players with their pants down.
  • Haven't updated this thread in a while, but there are a lot of great games on the horizon. Caylus has been approved in the app store and will be available come Monday morning.
  • Carcassonne got in-app purchases for the Inns&Cathedrals (1.99) and the River (0.99) expansions.
  • edited January 2012
    Ok I think I will finally cave in and get Carcassonne now. I've really been enjoying Small World & Battle Line.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Still haven't gotten any board games on iOS.
  • I'm up for Carcassone anytime. ProcessBlue on game center.
  • VentureJ on GameCenter. Add me as well!
  • The only board game I have on iOS is... nope, I don't have any. Haven't found any that I don't already own in real game form that I'd be interested in.
  • I was the same way, but having it on iOS is pretty nice especially when you have the hankering to play a game but no one to play it with.

Also it comes in handy for whenever I'm out and about with Jeremy and we are waiting in line or at the theater for a movie to start. We can whip out the iPad and start playing a 2 player board game on the iOS.

I'm RosakaM on Game Center.
  • Joshbytes on Game Center. Out of curiosity what was everyone's most played portable board game of 2011? For me it would have to be Medici.
  • I was the same way, but having it on iOS is pretty nice especially when you have the hankering to play a game but no one to play it with.

Also it comes in handy for whenever I'm out and about with Jeremy and we are waiting in line or at the theater for a movie to start. We can whip out the iPad and start playing a 2 player board game on the iOS.

I'm RosakaM on Game Center.
    That's an excellent idea. Any suggestions for a good 2 player one?
  • Battle Line, Carcassonne, or Small World.
  • Carcassonne
  • Ascension: chronicle of the godslayer. AWESOME app, very polished.

Invaderren in GC.

• Caylus is definitely worth the price! Very nice interface, although they probably coud have spent a bit more time on refining the iPhone interface so it wouldn't feel as cramped.

First game with no memory of the rules I beat the two easy AI's by one point. Next I'll test the hard AI. Sadly the mechanics pretty much make asyncronous multiplayer impossible so online play is a little prohibitive as it will take a big chunck of time.
  • edited January 2012
    My most-played games are definitely Carcassonne and Ascension because they have good asynchronous multiplayer. It's a great way to keep up with convention friends and other distant people.

On my own, I've gone through huge Neuroshima Hex and Battleline phases. Also when through a huge Small World and Ticket to Ride phase on the iPad. Not playing much of anything on iOS right now aside from the two asynchronous games though. Taking a break. I don't want to buy Caylus yet b/c I've still got Puerto Rico and Tigris & Euphrates purchased but haven't played them yet.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • edited January 2012
    The computer on Carcassonne is crazy mean. Even on easy mode. Perhaps I'm not as good as I used to be, but on XBLA I was able to beat the computer many a time on hard mode.

I'll just have to change my strategy up a bit. I'm really liking the interface of the game on iOS.

BTW @Timo & @Matt, we are all ready to play on that invite. Let's do this.

Also if you want to get the EA Tetris game for free, go to any Starbucks and they have those App of the week cards that have redemption codes for the game.
    Post edited by Rochelle on