This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Mobile Board Games [iOS & Android]

Comments

• Android Bros may like this GeekList from BoardGameGeek.
    This BroBot thanks you.
  • Has anyone played Ghost Stories? It's a co-op style board game (not sure if there's any traitor element) that a few people from my Wednesday night board game group are into. Haven't played it myself, and don't remember the specifics of how it plays, but it has an iPad version coming out in a few days.
  • Update: Puerto Rico was submitted to Apple yesterday. Now we wait.
    Hot Shit!

I swear, if they don't start putting out more good board games in iOS, I'll do it myself.
    Hot Shit!

I swear, if they don't start putting out more good board games in iOS, I'll do it myself.
    Oh, they're coming. The list in my original post is enough to make me glad I got an iPhone, and many more games have been announced since then.
    Hot Shit!

Oh, they're coming. The list in my original post is enough to make me glad I got an iPhone, and many more games have been announced since then.
    Keep us up to date (and/or slip my a few review copies :3) of anything on Android. I think that's going to bust out big really soon.
    Hot Shit!

Keep us up to date (and/or slip my a few review copies :3) of anything on Android. I think that's going to bust out big really soon.
    I know that there is now a fairly crappy version of Carcassone in the app store. Unfortunately not nearly as good as the iOS one but it is something. Catan got released. Neuroshima Hex is still in development, and Codito/Sage (the guys who are doing all of those euro-game implementations) still promise they'll port their games over to Android about 6 months after their iOS releases, but I don't believe they've actually delivered on that promise yet.
    Hot Shit!

I know that there is now a fairly crappy version of Carcassone in the app store. Unfortunately not nearly as good as the iOS one but it is something. Catan got released. Neuroshima Hex is still in development, and Codito/Sage (the guys who are doing all of those euro-game implementations) still promise they'll port their games over to Android about 6 months after their iOS releases, but I don't believe they've actually delivered on that promise yet.
    If you want the best of both worlds, just pick up a cheap (or even new I guess) iPod touch. You don't need to fork out for an iPhone or iPad to get access to the app store, I know a TON of people (friends/family) who have an iPod touch JUST for the app store. Oh, and I guess as an MP3 player too.

Is there an equivalent android device that iPhone users can get to access the android app store? An Android Touch?
  • Is there an equivalent android device that iPhone users can get to access the android app store? An Android Touch?
    Not really, but there are a bunch of super-cheap no-contract Android phones that would fit the bill.
  • edited July 2011
    Is there an equivalent android device that iPhone users can get to access the android app store? An Android Touch?
    Not really, but there are a bunch of super-cheap no-contract Android phones that would fit the bill.
    Yeah, but if you get the really cheap ones, they might not be able to process some of the games which might be under consideration.

The thing about the Android app store is that you don't need a special program to access it. You can go to the Android market and buy apps, then download them to your computer, for example. Fire them up on an Android emulator.
    Post edited by Byron on
  • There are so many games (and media in general) out there to consume that I feel I am close to buried by great options. I cannot even fathom purchasing another device to add more onto that stack.
  • There are so many games (and media in general) out there to consume that I feel I am close to buried by great options. I cannot even fathom purchasing another device to add more onto that stack.
    True that, I'm playing 10 years of catch up of comics/Manga on my iPad. I think I'm good for the next year on that alone.
  • Stop tempting me to buy Carcassonne! I realize that I got it for free on XBLA during a promo, so technically I've only purchased it once. Well, hmm. Actually I think Jeremy bought the board game, which means I never purchased it at all...
  • VentureJ on GameCenter. Hit me up some Carcassonne too!
  • Damn, I deleted Carcassone off my iPhone and put it on the iPad, figuring I would only play it on that. If a few people want to get some games going, I better put it back on my phone so I can make moves more frequently. ie. At work... :)
  • I love that Carcassone saves games between my iPad and iPhone. Its awesome!
  • Puerto Rico out tomorrow. Review here

How exciting...
  • Neuroshima Hex apps are on sale until the end of the week
    How exciting...
    No iPhone support :-(.

How exciting...
    Insta-purchased. Puerto Rico from couch with friends is win.
  • I don't know if I can justify another expensive iPad app. I think they keep jacking the price of these things up to encourage sunk cost fallacy (oh well, I already paid $600 for the device, I might as well get my use out of it). I think it's high time I shot Codito/Sage an email and started getting review codes for their iOS games...
  • I don't know if I can justify another expensive iPad app. I think they keep jacking the price of these things up to encourage sunk cost fallacy (oh well, I already paid $600 for the device, I might as well get my use out of it). I think it's high time I shot Codito/Sage an email and started getting review codes for their iOS games...
    Yeah, if you have a few friends with iPads who are all Rico freaks then its crazy awesome.

If you are just picking it up for a few rounds of single player... maybe not so much?

Just get Groove Coaster for $1 and you will forget about everything. its like the blue pill.
  • http://sageboardgames.com/?p=190

Looks like all of the Codito/Sage board game apps will be on sale to celebrate Puerto Rico coming out. The reason I was hesitant to say I'd buy Puerto Rico is that I just bought their Tikal app and haven't really played it that much. I should have waited!
  • I bought Ghost Stories for the iPad. Let this be a warning to all of you, stay away! The game has a reputation for being a hard-as-balls co-op game, but while I'm not as down on the co-op genre as much as some others are, I still don't have the patience for this shit. It is literally designed to be so difficult that even if you are playing with the 100% optimal strategy, you will still lose the majority of the time due to random bullshit coming out of the deck of cards. Make ONE minor slip-up and your odds of success are cut drastically. Co-op games are puzzles, but this game can be compared to a puzzle where you know where all the pieces go, but 2/3 of them pop out and fly across the room every time you try to put them in. It's annoying as all hell and I don't understand why it's so highly rated.

The iPad version does not do itself any favors either. The rulebook for the physical game is notoriously bad, and this one actually leaves out at least one major game element that I had to learn by experimentation. Also, it is limited to 1-2 players, when the game was clearly designed to be played with 3 or 4 (or as a solo adventure).
  • I bought Ghost Stories for the iPad. Let this be a warning to all of you, stay away! The game has a reputation for being a hard-as-balls co-op game, but while I'm not as down on the co-op genre as much as some others are, I still don't have the patience for this shit. It is literally designed to be so difficult that even if you are playing with the 100% optimal strategy, you will still lose the majority of the time due to random bullshit coming out of the deck of cards. Make ONE minor slip-up and your odds of success are cut drastically. Co-op games are puzzles, but this game can be compared to a puzzle where you know where all the pieces go, but 2/3 of them pop out and fly across the room every time you try to put them in. It's annoying as all hell and I don't understand why it's so highly rated.

The iPad version does not do itself any favors either. The rulebook for the physical game is notoriously bad, and this one actually leaves out at least one major game element that I had to learn by experimentation. Also, it is limited to 1-2 players, when the game was clearly designed to be played with 3 or 4 (or as a solo adventure).
    It left out Buddhas? Because damn f I can find them in the instructions... :/

Yeah, agree 100%. This game is hard as BALLS, wait for a 4 player update *then* it might be playable.
  • Yes they don't say what buddhas do AT ALL. I finally won a 2-player match after experimenting with them and realizing they are quite powerful. If you put the buddha village space as the center tile, you can use a power token to borrow blue's double action power, collect both buddhas, and then take your power token back all in one turn. Next turn you can move to a corney spot and place both buddhas. Rinse and repeat while your partner is managing what monsters do sneak through.

I use yellow w/ the free token each turn ability, and green with re-rolls ability.
  • I hate when app updates just have "bug fixes."
  • The Ascension iOS app is a STEAL for $5. The game is fantastic and the interface works really well (even on my iPhone). This is definitely a guarantee buy.
  • The Ascension iOS app is a STEAL for $5. The game is fantastic and the interface works really well (even on my iPhone). This is definitely a guarantee buy.
    I play it on iPad and iPhone too, whoever made this app is very talented, it's a quality piece of work for sure. Doesn't hurt that the game is pretty fun too.
  • I love the ascension app but i also have big issues with it. The game creation has no way to specify whether you want an asynchronous or real-time game, so sometimes you get a mixed crowd of expectations and the game goes nowhere, people drop out, AI does not take over. When this occurs, I drop out too, but every few days I log in and all of a sudden it tells me I have 8 or 9 active games! These zombie games keep coming back no matter how many times I forfeit out of them.