This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Windows 10

Comments

• Having a clean install on my desktop feels great. The interface is fast and responsive and spends less time "thinking" before doing. Of course, I DID accidentally install the 32bit version of windows instead of 64 bit, so I'll have to do it again, but *shrug* thems the lumps.
  • When using the media creation tool, I failed to see that changing the installation language resets the architecture selection, so I also ended up accidentally installing the x86 version.
  • Anyone else noticing their CPU being at 100% all the time? Not that the computer is lagging, but that the CPU is at 100% utilization on the task manager.
  • I'm not seeing that.
  • It looks like anything actual processes aren't using, "System Interrupts" is eating up.
  • I'm seeing 1-2 on idle.
  • edited August 2015
    This is what I'm seeing with nothing but task manager and Nvidia's stuff running. I'm doing research into it, of course, but any ideas?

Edit: Hang on. What?

Okay, so Speedfan is seeing what the CPU usage is probably actually at, but I've only got 3 fans in my computer. CPU, and two case fans; one to the Mobo and the other molex powered. What the hell is with those RPMs?!

And the what the hell is going on here?!

Ninety Million percent CPU usage?!

Tell it to me straight guys, is my Mobo dying?
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I just installed Win 10 on my main PC. I ran into some trouble where I did the in place install to my HDD which had my Win 7 install. Then I did a clean install on my SSD but it did some weird stuff and kept the boot loader on my HDD so it wouldn't let me format the HDD. I had to pull out my HDD, reinstall on the SDD, then I plugged the HDD back in and could format it. I probably could have avoided that somehow but I'm not sure what I would have done. But it was kinda annoying.
  • MATATAT said:

I just installed Win 10 on my main PC. I ran into some trouble where I did the in place install to my HDD which had my Win 7 install. Then I did a clean install on my SSD but it did some weird stuff and kept the boot loader on my HDD so it wouldn't let me format the HDD. I had to pull out my HDD, reinstall on the SDD, then I plugged the HDD back in and could format it. I probably could have avoided that somehow but I'm not sure what I would have done. But it was kinda annoying.

I ran into this myself. What happened to me was that the platter was installed as drive 0 cable wise and the SSD was drive 1. I switched the cables and formatted and all was good.
  • @Victor Frost more common problem in laptops than desktops from what I've Googled. CPU is trying to determine whether to throttle up or down, poor cooling or inefficient cooling with fan perceived as speed up or down without any effect on the temperature sensor is causing the interrupts. It's like your CPU is continuously pinging - "am I hot?" (kind of like what Churba does to the mirror each morning). Then waiting for a response and causing a system interrupt, then asking again, stacking up all the interrupts.

I've seen solutions everywhere from battery charger to SATA cable connections but most of the solutions have been from cleaning how CPU heatsinks and fans.

@MATATAT, you would have wanted to do an in place upgrade on your hdd to assign Windows 10 to your live account. Then (format the SSD if not already formatted) format the hdd with the old install. Boot off the USB you made and you have a clean install.
  • sK0pe said:

@Victor Frost more common problem in laptops than desktops from what I've Googled. CPU is trying to determine whether to throttle up or down, poor cooling or inefficient cooling with fan perceived as speed up or down without any effect on the temperature sensor is causing the interrupts. It's like your CPU is continuously pinging - "am I hot?" (kind of like what Churba does to the mirror each morning). Then waiting for a response and causing a system interrupt, then asking again, stacking up all the interrupts.

I've seen solutions everywhere from battery charger to SATA cable connections but most of the solutions have been from cleaning how CPU heatsinks and fans.

Brought in Microsoft Support to have a look see. They're baffled. The cpu usage is being reported correctly everywhere else, and it's running normally, but it's such a bizarre error that they're putting it on the engineer's dashboard along with my contact info for them to get back to me.

Meanwhile, there are activation server outages so my new clean install isn't activating. Fan fucking tastic.
  • edited August 2015
    This is why I'm waiting for them to roll the update out to my PC; a couple weeks for patches should make the whole process smoother.

Edit: Victor, if you can get the engineer to talk about what's gone wrong, do tell. I'm intrigued.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • sK0pe said:

@MATATAT, you would have wanted to do an in place upgrade on your hdd to assign Windows 10 to your live account. Then (format the SSD if not already formatted) format the hdd with the old install. Boot off the USB you made and you have a clean install.

I did. It said it was unallocated space before I tried installing windows 10 on it.
  • The whole Windows 10 store thing is very much like the Chrome Webstore (where Chrome apps can overlap and interact with Android apps and Google services in general) with the added benefit of full integration into the operating system.

If I had a Windows phone and hadn't already invested in Google services, the Microsoft services would be very compelling. I might even try out a Windows phone next year (if they're still around).
  • Actually, gotta tell you, Outlook for android is awesome and I use OneNote on it regularly. When Cortana for android comes out this year, I'll probably use that too supplanting Google Now if not replacing it.
  • And of course, there's already Windows 10 conspiracy theories. Unfortunately, they're not the fun, deep conspiracy theories, they're the usual "I don't understand how technology works" mundane bullshit.
  • Like people complaining about how Cortana sends your voice to Microsoft?
  • I think I made a huge mistake by not buying a Surface Pro instead of a laptop, looking back on it I would have been able to completely paperless at University with Onenote and doing handwritten maths and computer programming proofs. Also having a 4:3 aspect ratio screen is pretty great for programming or writing in general. I would also be able to do the readings while standing in the train because everyone thinks I'm 16 years old and need to stand for 25 year old women in 6" heels.

Cortana isn't available for Australian English yet, I think she's being upgraded to "Oi, Cozza" or "Oy, Sheila".

Changing from Google Now is the difficult part for me as it has really honed into recognising my voice (it can still recognise me when I'm drunk or half asleep), I would still try it out.

I tried Outlook for Android and desktop but still prefer the simplicity of Gmail Inbox, however Sunrise Calendar is pretty great on Android and on Windows 10.

I'll try out One Note and see how it compares to Keep.
  • One Note and Keep are apples and oranges. Keep is virtual stickynotes. OneNote is a virtual 3 ring binder filled with paper, some lined, some not, depending on your fancy.
  • It seems there is some difference between waiting for your update from microsoft V forcing your update (which you can do directly from the get windows 10 client), which might be why you're having some issues Scott.
  • Alaric728 said:

It seems there is some difference between waiting for your update from microsoft V forcing your update (which you can do directly from the get windows 10 client), which might be why you're having some issues Scott.

So the media creator doesn't work until Microsoft gives you the OK? Well, maybe they should actually give a message that says that instead of "something happened."
  • Apreche said:

Alaric728 said:

It seems there is some difference between waiting for your update from microsoft V forcing your update (which you can do directly from the get windows 10 client), which might be why you're having some issues Scott.

So the media creator doesn't work until Microsoft gives you the OK? Well, maybe they should actually give a message that says that instead of "something happened."
    Still getting that error? I'm assuming this didn't work for you.
  • 2bfree said:

Apreche said:

Alaric728 said:

Still getting that error? I'm assuming this didn't work for you.
    Haven't tried that. Will do so tonight.
  • Got the notification, so time to do it legit?
  • Pro tip: once installed go to start, settings, privacy. Unchecked each if the 13 (yes really) screen that track your stuff by default for advertising.
  • Advertising built into the OS? Holy shit.
  • Unique OS identifier sent to advertisers so they can track all your shit.
  • How do we even know the checkbox actually does what it says it does? We need a third party thing that blocks it. AdBlock that runs on the OS instead of just in a browser.
  • Apreche said:

How do we even know the checkbox actually does what it says it does? We need a third party thing that blocks it. AdBlock that runs on the OS instead of just in a browser.

You would be correct, everything I heard about it us "time will tell if this is the fact"