This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Windows 10

Comments

• Updates to a lot of stuff I turned off or don't use. I like the addition of more privacy options you can control, but I'll just disable them too.

Systems I have 10 on work well though.
  • Microsoft wants to monopolise games development on PC.
    Valve’s Steam distribution service is booming with over 100m users, and publishers like Adobe, Autodesk, Blizzard, Riot Games and EA are operating highly successful businesses selling their games and content directly to consumers.

Microsoft’s situation, however, is an embarrassment. Seven months after the launch of Windows Store alongside Windows 10, the place remains devoid of the top third-party games and signature applications that define the PC experience. Where’s Photoshop? Grand Theft Auto V? Fifa 2016?
    Microsoft completely failed with Games for Windows Live, by not learning from the success of Steam. They tried to revive GFWL with Xbox for windows, which isn't really the Xbox experience for PC. It's all very bastardised.

Microsoft desperately want to have an Apple-like walled garden, but it's just going to hurt everyone. They release everything way before it's anywhere near ready. The only exception that I can see is Office.
  • Here is that in video format.

• I never owned the original XBox, but my brother had 1, and I really liked it. Including the huge ass controller. Despite the very weird D-pad.

Completely protested Xbox Live at that time, since I was more than happy playing for free online on the PC.

Wasn't till I was given an Xbox 360 way late in that generation of console that it made sense to have live gold. There were loads of games to play, and everything just worked perfectly. I could stream music from my PC and listen to it during games. Switch between different audio channels on the fly, still speak to my friends on MSN messenger with my chatpad, while I was camping around some corner in Call of Duty.

Wasn't till later that Microsoft started to kill everything. They were shutting down GFWL, so anything that used to work on the PC, now doesn't. Xbox live was shut down for the original Xbox, so no more legacy support. The Kinect wasn't supported, despite all the things they announced for it (not that I had one). So no compelling content.

Most of the games that were out were just garbage sequels. The interface changed to accommodate the Kinect controls, was still slower to navigate. Messenger on The 360 no longer functioned. People weren't online as often.

Everything good on the 360 was killed, and nothing returned to the Xbone. So yeh. I don't have high hopes for Hololens. They pretty much ruined what they could have done with Windows Phone also.

Microsoft wants to be a cable company, episodic games and hardware contracts. Obsolescence is approaching.
  • Microsoft already released a version of Win 7/10 that didn't support Win32. It was Windows RT on the low-end Surface tablets, and it was shit.
  • I actually was talking to some coworkers who were involved with Windows RT on the periphery. They were kinda glad I didn't really remember it.
  • Windows NT, ME, RT. Don't get any with two letter names.
  • Finally jumped to Windows 10. Didn't even watch in the install, I just kicked it out and left the house for the day. I've become old, I just don't have time for this shit anymore.
  • Apreche said:

Windows NT, ME, RT. Don't get any with two letter names.

XP, 10?
  • I guess XP is the one exception. 10 numbers, not letters.
  • edited March 2016
    Apreche said:

I guess XP is the one exception. 10 numbers, not letters.

Edit: super derp
    Post edited by Starfox on
  • Fuck those idiots. I'm the same age as one of those girls and I used Windows 95, and to a greater extent, Windows 98 when I was a kid.
  • They must purposefully pick the dumb kids. A lot of that stuff isn't even that different today. Turning on a monitor isn't turning on the computer. Haven't they used a desktop? When turning off the computer "oh there's a special way to do this." Yeah, click shutdown just like every computer nowadays, you just also had to press the power button back then. And "You had to use your phone?" Yes, dialup used a modem and your phone line, just like you probably have DSL that uses a modem and a phone line today. And they always celebrate in these videos like its some big accomplishment when it's something anyone would figure out within a few minutes even if they didn't have experience with whatever older thing.
  • And "You had to use your phone?" Yes, dialup used a modem and your phone line, just like you probably have DSL that uses a modem and a phone line today.

I did like that she automatically gestured with a smartphone-like(or at least mobile phone like) gesture, rather than the thumb-and-little-finger gesture that older people tend to use.
  • Kids today will never know the oddly satisfying feeling of degaussing a CRT monitor.
  • Or making it go rainbow with a magnet.
  • Or turning it upside down when it's already on and watching THAT shit happen.
  • All of that is what old people with nostalgia problems and YouTube are for.
  • Dromaro said:

All of that is what old people with nostalgia problems and YouTube are for.

I'm way younger than you.
  • Pegu said:

Dromaro said:

All of that is what old people with nostalgia problems and YouTube are for.

I'm way younger than you.
    You don't have to be aged to be old.
  • Does anyone have any experience with updating the Surface Pro 2 to Windows 10? Is there anything I should know before doing so, or any known glitches?
  • Does anyone have any experience with updating the Surface Pro 2 to Windows 10? Is there anything I should know before doing so, or any known glitches?

I can't see any reason why it wouldn't just work. It's officially supported by Microsoft. Just backup ya shit if there's anything in there (there shouldn't be). It worked on my HTPC, and that has lower specs than a Surface Pro 2.
  • edited May 2016
    Well, I guess I use Windows 10 now after it forced itself onto my computer tonight. First I was pissed off but so far it seems that everything is working fine.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • I can confirm everything is cool in Windows 10 land on the Surface Pro 2
  • What? Outlook is great.