This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

Comments

• Except for most liberal arts classes. RIT's liberal arts programs, by and large, were a joke from an academic standpoint; they were fun, but I can't say that I reallylearneda whole lot or was really challenged by any of them.
    I agree, except for Professional Technical Communications, but qualified again by stating that this is only true of the individual classes and not the major itself. I fudged my enrollment in the concentration, and then the minor, so that I could take the entire major. (If RIT didn't pointlessly require 40 or so additional credit hours of general ed for a double major, I would have had two degrees: I completed the entire major for fun in the course of getting my IT degree).

PTC was full of classes like Political Communication, Small Group Theory, Propaganda and Pursuasion, Public Speaking, etc... The professors were amazing, the content was fascinating, and the deep knowledge I gained of human communication has been invaluable in all of my endeavors since. I gained more from those classes than I did from most of my actual major classes. It was a wonderful compliment to my study, and I'd suggest it to any RIT student as a minor.

As a major, however, it is 100% worthless. It's such a soft subject that it provides no direct training for any real job as far as I can see, and I recall it having a low turnover to employment after graduation. It's a major of corporate team builder types. Even worse, most of the people in it (it's difficult to get into the small number of low class size offerings even if you're minoring, so you end up meeting everyone in the degree program) are there for exactly the wrong reasons.

Specifically, most of the people I met in the major were terrible communicators. They were often shy and inarticulate, and obviously had entered the program to get better about this sort of thing. The classes, however, were only useful to people who were already good communicators, but who were looking for polish and analytical depth. The worst example of this was Public Speaking, the only class which I felt was a waste of my time. I expected criticism, advice, training, review, and all the things that could help me be a better lecturer and speaker. What I got was 20 fellow students incapable of speaking before an audience without severe difficulty, and a remedial classroom experience focusing mostly on fear, stagefright, and basics like "don't stare at the floor" and "don't stare at your powerpoint."

Easiest A I ever "earned." I gave a few soliloquies I'd already had memorized, made up a lecture on the structure of music (using the otherwise unused piano that happened to be in the room, much to everyone's surprise), and then skipped the rest of the class after convincing the professor that I deserved an A and didn't need to return.

/cool story, bro
  • edited October 2009
    As a major, however, it is 100% worthless. It's such a soft subject that it provides no direct training for any real job as far as I can see, and I recall it having a low turnover to employment after graduation. It's a major of corporate team builder types. Even worse, most of the people in it (it's difficult to get into the small number of low class size offerings even if you're minoring, so you end up meeting everyone in the degree program) are there for exactly the wrong reasons.

Specifically, most of the people I met in the major were terrible communicators. They were often shy and inarticulate, and obviously had entered the program to get better about this sort of thing. The classes, however, were only useful to people who were already good communicators, but who were looking for polish and analytical depth. The worst example of this wasPublic Speaking, the only class which I felt was a waste of my time. I expected criticism, advice, training, review, and all the things that could help me be a better lecturer and speaker. What I got was 20 fellow students incapable of speaking before an audience without severe difficulty, and a remedial classroom experience focusing mostly on fear, stagefright, and basics like "don't stare at the floor" and "don't stare at your powerpoint."
    Totally agree with this, it was almost comical. The people I met that were this major were easily the worst communicators I encountered at RIT.... One wondered if people took this major to improve a fault in their personality as many psychology majors are really there to figure out what is wrong with them :-p

And I come from the Bush school of public speaking :-p
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • (If RIT didn't pointlessly require 40 or so additional credit hours of general ed for a double major, I would have had two degrees: I completed the entire major for fun in the course of getting my IT degree).
    I took a second major for fun in my first two years. It's a good job I did too, as I didn't go back to uni for my third year, but had earned enough credits in two years to get a pass, and my degree certificate now sits in a box at home.
  • Totally agree with this, it was almost comical. The people I met that were this major were easily the worst communicators I encountered at RIT.... One wondered if people took this major to improve a fault in their personality as many psychology majors are really there to figure out what is wrong with them :-p

And I come from the Bush school of public speaking :-p
    My college was similar. I got the best speaking training from my core classes at my college because my instructors knew how important those skills were.
  • edited October 2009
    All of my Gen. Ed. classes were covered through an honors program I was in during my B.A. Those classes were interdisciplinary, thought provoking, fun, and not only engaged me as a student, but sincerely enriched my life. As "useless" as my B.A. with a double major in Theatre (Acting and Directing Track and Theatre Technology and Design Track) with minors in English and Philosophy may seem; I have no regrets.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • As "useless" as my B.A. with a double major in Theatre (Acting and Directing Track and Theatre Technology and Design Track) with minors in English and Philosophy may seem; I have no regrets.
    I fully believe in a well-rounded classical education. More people should be required to study such things regardless of their other educational goals.
  • I fully believe in a well-rounded classical education. More people should be required to study such things regardless of their other educational goals.
    Especially when it involves any form of critical analysis. Philosophy classes are wonderful in that they teach people about the fundamentals of critical thinking, which really doesn't get addressed in very many places otherwise.
  • I reconnected with an old co-worker and they wrote me a letter of recommendation. Yay!
  • edited October 2009
    Philosophy classes are wonderful in that they teach people about the fundamentals of critical thinking, which really doesn't get addressed in very many places otherwise.
    I think I can take Intro to Zen as a philosophy class next semester. I might just do that.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • The UFO short comic story I drew (but did not write or color) starts serialization today at ApeCmx. It's seven pages, and will update Sundays and Thursdays. Ape is a for-real comic publisher, albeit a small one, in Diamond and everything. This anthology is just for the web right now, but if it gets a good response, it'll go to print, so please, go vote and lavish praise! :)

Also, I finally got a hold of a copy of Negative Burn #20, my very first published work. Finally seeing my work in print makes it feel real.

imageimage
  • I read that comic a long time ago, I never realized that was you. Mind=Blown
  • Serious? Holy shit. I didn't think ANYONE read that comic. :)
  • It got distributed over 4chan a while back, that's when I saw it. It has a very nice twist, I thought it was hilarious.
  • It got distributed over 4chan a while back, that's when I saw it. It has a very nice twist, I thought it was hilarious.
    Thanks. :) Only after it was done did everyone tell me it was basically the same twist as an old Twilight Zone episode, but oh well. :) When you say it got distributed over 4chan, do you mean a scan of the Negative Burn issue, or just my pages (which are up on my DeviantArt and whatnot)?
  • Just your two pages posted to accompany two posts I don't remember. I sure as hell remembered those pages. I never realized you drew/wrote that, very cool.
  • Wow. That's crazy shit. My day is double-made now! Thanks. :)
  • When you say it got distributed over 4chan, do you mean a scan of the Negative Burn issue, or just my pages (which are up on my DeviantArt and whatnot)?
    It's very likely there was an RS link in that post.
  • Did daylight savings time happen with me realizing at all?
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Woah.
    It happened half a year ago. You're back on 'normal' time now.
  • I actually found a good party, after months of searching. Last night wasn't half bad.

Then, of course, we all took note of that extra hour and went to Jay's Diner for a MUCH VARIED ASSORTMENT OF COMESTIBLES. Of note were the pancakes, fish platter, pasta w/ meatballs, and gyros. I woke up today (at noon-ish) with no hangover, despite the fact that we were, at one point in the night, doing shots of 160-proof vodka. We were Communist leaders (I was Lenin, and we had Stalin, Che, Castro, Mao, a student revolutionary, a Soviet Army conscript, and a COMMUNIST FROM THE FUTURE!). Also, I am a lightweight.
  • COMMUNIST FROM THE FUTURE!
    What did that entail, I am very interested.
  • edited November 2009
    COMMUNIST FROM THE FUTURE!
    What did that entail, I am very interested.
    Awesome soviet propoganda x Sci-fi = Awesome^2 soviet sci-fi propoganda.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • It's half price off candy day. I got 6 bags in my car and I'm hoping there will be a 75% of candy day in the near future
  • I can crochet!
    Now, I am not very good yet and I only know two stitches, but I am on my way.
  • My game got released. (I feel like I'm spamming? But I am so happy today!)
  • Mygamegot released. (I feel like I'm spamming? But I am so happy today!)
    Definitely tons of fun. I suck at FPS style games, but this is still a lot of fun. Got murdered when I tried to go a little bit harder, gonna have to stick to the easy path next time.
  • Mygamegot released. (I feel like I'm spamming? But I am so happy today!)
    Spamming? Where's the Guns of Icarus thread?
  • Kitchen: clean
    Living room: clean(ish)

All that remains in the bath tub and the bedroom.