This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• Haters gonna hate.
    I'm not hating, I'm just questioning the logic. There seems to be enough new material here, why bring in the old bioshock at all?
  • I'm not hating, I'm just questioning the logic. There seems to be enough new material here, why bring in the old bioshock at all?
    Possibly because people are familiar with the franchise and are more interested in experience similar gaming experiences but a few new things. It's nothing new when you look at similar gaming franchises.
  • I'm not hating, I'm just questioning the logic. There seems to be enough new material here, why bring in the old bioshock at all?
    Possibly because people are familiar with the franchise and are more interested in experience similar gaming experiences but a few new things. It's nothing new when you look at similar gaming franchises.
    It's branding. They're looking to keep the keep the press and name recognition from the old games. Good or bad. Gamers have at least heard the name before.

I'd really like to see a new System Shock. Steampunk is cool, but I'm a bigger fan of cyberpunk. They may also no want to compete with Deus Ex on release dates. Two first person semi RPG/shooters released around the same date with the same genre may not be good for either company.
  • I heard a rumor a while ago that Bioshock was supposed to be System Shock 3, but they couldn't get the rights to the name.
  • edited August 2010
    I'm guessing they're keeping the Bioshock name for the same reason Final Fantasy games as different as 4/6 and 7 both bear the same name. The gameplay is probably going to be much the same though probably more outdoory bits.
    It'll probably be usual Biosock gameplay, just dungeon crawling (Areas, enemies and leveling.), which always kinda disappointed me. The addition of the sidekick seems interesting though. Kotaku said in the demo they played that you use the environment a bit more than last time so taking down the robot dudes may be a bit more interesting than backing away and unloading plasmids and ammo into it.

When I say I'm disappointed by the gameplay. Initially, I'd thought that the dynamic of everyone being out for themselves would have played out a bit more like the Oddworld games, requiring the use of problem solving skills over just killing enemies in sequence and leveling up.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited August 2010
    hat followed was the entire audience letting out a collective pained sigh ("Ugh...") Which was itself followed by everyone in the theater laughing for the rest of the trailer at the unison reaction we all had. It could have only been better if someone at that moment had yelled, "What a twist!"
    The same thing happened at the theatre I was in.
    Except it was just laughter all the way through.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • What followed was the entire audience letting out a collective pained sigh ("Ugh...") Which was itself followed by everyone in the theater laughing for the rest of the trailer at the unison reaction we all had. It could have only been better if someone at that moment had yelled, "What a twist!"
    Just out of curiosity, was the theater located in Lakewood, WA? Cause the exact same thing happened to me at my theater!
  • Just out of curiosity, was the theater located in Lakewood, WA? Cause the exact same thing happened to me at my theater!
    No, it was in Rochester, NY.

On Bioshock Infinite, I recommend listening to the Gamers With Jobs Conference Call podcast #200. They do an interview with Ken Levine, and he talks about why another Bioshock, and why it's not like Bioshock.
  • Kettle Chips (my favorite brand) recently made a new, but classic flavor, cheddar and sour cream. They are delicious.
  • Kettle Chips (my favorite brand) recently made a new, but classic flavor, cheddar and sour cream. They are delicious.
    I read this as "(my favorite band)" and was momentarily bewildered.
  • I read this as "(my favorite band)" and was momentarily bewildered.
    The first thing I thought of reading this was not, in fact, a band named kettle chips, but rather, a band entirely composed of potato chips.
  • VIZ licensed Genkaku Picasso and it's out in November. Lychee Light Club is due in April. Nice to see Usamaru getting published in America.
  • I think I'll be buying an big jar and some tea.

• I think I'll be buying an big jar and some tea.
    I already do this. At work everyone knows I'm a big tea drinker, so every time someone goes to another country or find a box of weird tea, they bring me a box. As of now it's mostly green teas and some coca teas.
  • Someone was pandering to Rym:
  • edited August 2010
    Concept art for a new Fantasyland at Disney World.
    Ahem and ahem.

Just as a note, construction is now underway on the expansion and construction walls are now covering the entire length of Fantasyland that doesn't already have attractions on it (it's actually quite a sight to see). Hopefully when this is done, the Magic Kingdom's Fantasyland will be as awesome as Disneyland's.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • My TotD was not Fantasyland, but the art.
  • edited August 2010
    My TotD was not Fantasyland, but the art.
    There's more art in the links.

This is sort of a crazy random happenstance, but one of the Disney podcasts said in their news section that the Fantasyland expansion is moving away from being so princess heavy to something (as of right now) unannounced.
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2010
    Had a funny thing happen while at the Scott Pilgrim premiere last night... this morning?

Before the movie started they showed a trailer for this movie called "the Devil," (I think.) It seems to be about 5 people trapped in an elevator, but then something starts trying to kill them, and you aren't sure if its one of the people or something sneaking into the elevator.

So it seems like kind of an interesting horror/thriller movie, but then about 3/4 through the trailer the following text appears on the screen, "Written and Directed by M. Night Shyamalan."

What followed was the entire audience letting out a collective pained sigh ("Ugh...") Which was itself followed by everyone in the theater laughing for the rest of the trailer at the unison reaction we all had. It could have only been better if someone at that moment had yelled, "What a twist!"
    I can top that because something better happened when I went with Viga and her fiancée (Jed) to Scott Pilgrim. So we're watching it right, and when "From the mind of M. Night Shyamalan" came up; Jed spontaneously made a very loud and quick raspberry. Everyone was cracking up hysterically and about 80% of them were belly laughs (I was one of them). That was awesome.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Sounds like shit.
  • That theme is sooooo played out.
  • edited August 2010