This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Google+

Comments

• I am really digging Google+ as a more full-featured replacement for Twitter. It fills a different need than the forum, and doesn't have the low-brow mob mentality of Facebook.

There are still many people missing. WHERE IS OMAR?
  • There are still many people missing. WHERE IS OMAR?
    I also need to find more of the internet famous people like webcomic creators and the like.

If anyone knows of their Google+ page, let me know.

I also look forward to customizing the page colors. Well not the main page of reading the posts, but the side panels. I wouldn't mind a cream color or a light green. Too much white is not fun.
  • My current frustration with Google+ is the limit on sending messages to people. I sent a message to one person, then tried to send to another person right after, and got a message telling me that I'd already hit my quota of how many messages to send in a week (really, google+, just one/week?).
    This limit might be for personal messages. Try this: create a circle of one person. Post on the Stream with access to only that circle. If you can't post more, then create a new circle with that same one person. Rinse and repeat. If you actually have to do that to overcome some weird artificial restrictions, Google will eventually lift the restriction b/c they tend to realize when restrictions are easily defeated.
    I am really digging Google+ as a more full-featured replacement for Twitter. It fills a different need than the forum, and doesn't have the low-brow mob mentality of Facebook.
    ... yet. People who dig Google are getting in on it now. Then when enough google diggers get their significant others on, and the significant others invite family (WHY?), and the whole world becomes data mined by Google even more than it already is...

You know, I trust and respect Google. For now. All it needs is a few bad people in the executive group to ruin that place; it is still run as a business rather than as a co-op.
  • My current frustration with Google+ is the limit on sending messages to people. I sent a message to one person, then tried to send to another person right after, and got a message telling me that I'd already hit my quota of how many messages to send in a week (really, google+, just one/week?).
    This limit might be for personal messages. Try this: create a circle of one person. Post on the Stream with access to only that circle. If you can't post more, then create a new circle with that same one person. Rinse and repeat. If you actually have to do that to overcome some weird artificial restrictions, Google will eventually lift the restriction b/c they tend to realize when restrictions are easily defeated.
    I think that would send something to their stream, though, not to their email address (sorry, I think I wasn't clear about what I was trying to do). Profiles don't seem to list email addresses in the About page (or maybe people just haven't filled them out yet), but there's a "send an email" button on the profile page.

Maybe it is a feature, rather than a bug, that it's hard to send people private messages. I'm not sure yet.
  • Maybe it is a feature, rather than a bug, that it's hard to send people private messages. I'm not sure yet.
    Oh I see. My bet: they don't want decepticons on Google+ harvesting email addresses from the Email Buttons, or otherwise spamming those buttons (which are probably forms rather than links).

I don't recall any Captcha being used for G+ at any point. Anyone could be a decepticon.
  • Maybe it is a feature, rather than a bug, that it's hard to send people private messages. I'm not sure yet.
    Oh I see. My bet: they don't want decepticons on Google+ harvesting email addresses from the Email Buttons, or otherwise spamming those buttons (which are probably forms rather than links).

I don't recall any Captcha being used for G+ at any point. Anyone could be a decepticon.
    It's the usual quandry. How tightly to lock up a system while still keeping it usable? I can make a system very secure if nobody can log on.

I'd like to see Google+ integrate more tightly with Gmail. One would think decepticon-spotting would be easy game if they tied things in properly. Their spam filter works pretty well in Gmail.
  • I'd like to see Google+ integrate more tightly with Gmail. One would think decepticon-spotting would be easy game if they tied things in properly. Their spam filter works pretty well in Gmail.
    My first guess was just that: a guess. My new guess, regarding this, is that Google is attempting to use algorithms that measure behavior to determine if someone behaves as a decepticon or as a real person. Imagine spam filtering applied to actions taken on social networks. Note that this guess is quite grandiose indeed, and probably far from truth :)
  • How does one get onto google+ is it still invite only?
  • How does one get onto google+ is it still invite only?
    One can try going to google.com/plus and see if it's just plain open. Or, whisper me your email address and I'll send you an invite. They seem to be open at the moment.
  • This Android app is freaking awesome. So much better than the Facebook app.
  • Just a note, you need to use a regular Google account - a Google Domains account doesn't work.

They really need to do something about that.
  • Fianlly made it on with some help. Looks pretty cool, feel free to hit me up.
  • Me~! I <3 circles!
  • I need to get you all in a FRC circle in the near future, then go and hanging out up the bitch.
  • What the fuck, you people all have real names I don't recognize.
  • What the fuck, you people all have real names I don't recognize.
    There is an "other names" thing that people can fill out. I took the liberty of putting P_TOG there.
  • There is an "other names" thing that people can fill out
    Please do this! Jason keeps asking me who is whom, and sometimes I don't know!
  • edited July 2011
    There is an "other names" thing that people can fill out
    Please do this! Jason keeps asking me who is whom, and sometimes I don't know!
    Dude, Frank Hinz doesn't look like a TechParadox to me. Of course I'm going to ask.

Also, here is a present for you, Ro, by way of Scott Johnson of Extralife.com.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Also, here is a present for you, Ro, by way of Scott Johnson of Extralife.com.
    DO.NOT.LIKE.
  • Okay, so I got an invite from Pete at my frontrowcrew.com account, but Google keeps telling me that my group does not have access or something like that. I tried creating a new profile for a google account, but it says that my email @frontrowcrew.com already has a profile, which I then logged in to, which then told me I didn't have access to Google+ or something. I'm very confused and I keep end up going in circles.
  • Google+ doesn't work with Google App accounts (what you when with your own domain name i.e. frontrowcrew.com)
  • Google+ doesn't work with Google App accounts (what you when with your own domain name i.e. frontrowcrew.com)
    I hope they roll that out eventually. It'd be nice.
    My problem seems to be that I can't even create a new Google account to use with Google plus because I have the frontrowcrew.com account.
    My problem seems to be that I can't even create a new Google account to use with Google plus because I have the frontrowcrew.com account.
    You could use an @gmail.com Google account, or you can wait.
  • edited July 2011
    Step one: create a new gmail account.

Step two: Sign out of your frontrowcrew.com account.

Step three: Sign in to your new gmail account.

That should do it.

I can't wait till they roll out Google+ for apps accounts. This is bullcrap.

EDIT:
    You actually don't need a gmail address to use Google+. You do have to sign up for a Google account, but you can use it with, for example, a Yahoo or Hotmail email address.
    So you can use any non-gmail email address, with the exception of Google apps accounts.

Which really makes no goddamn sense at all.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Okay, well I am on there now. It has some neat concepts but definitely needs to have some bugs worked out, but that how all Google sites are depending on what time of the month it is.