This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Google+

Comments

• They've implemented shared circles. Maybe a good thing. I'm not sure yet.

BTW this is me on Google+.
  • Google Apps users now have Google +.
  • Google finally allowed you to join the future?
  • edited October 2011
    Google finally allowed you to join the future?
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I like the circles. I wish I could organize the Facebooks and Twitters that way. I know they have lists, but the user interface for organizing them is a pain. Organizing them on Google+ is great. I mostly just want to stuff all you listeners into a listeners bucket. :P
  • What, you don't want to maintain specific buckets, like "Listeners I have met at conventions" or "People who I know people know, but I don't really know"?

Really, unless you're using a graph-management app, those kind of circles are a pain to maintain - Stick with "Listeners" (People who know of me), "Following (People who I know of), "Friends" (People with whom the acquaintence is mutual), and "Who the fsck are these people" (If you even bother to put them in a circle - You don't have to/shouldn't)
  • I like the circles. I wish I could organize the Facebooks and Twitters that way. I know they have lists, but the user interface for organizing them is a pain. Organizing them on Google+ is great. I mostly just want to stuff all you listeners into a listeners bucket. :P
    Yeah, I have a forum bucket. It's really tricky cause everyone uses a real name on G+ so I have no idea who they are when they friend me.
  • Yeah, I have a forum bucket. It's really tricky cause everyone uses a real name on G+ so I have no idea who they are when they friend me.
    Many of them have their forum name on their about pages.
  • It's really tricky cause everyone uses a real name on G+ so I have no idea who they are when they friend me.
    I basically just look at the mutual friends - If someone is friends with, say, nine, sonic, you and Ro, I'll put them in the FRC bucket. If someone knows some of my LADEAD friends, I'll put them in that bucket, and so on.
    Yeah, I have a forum bucket. It's really tricky cause everyone uses a real name on G+ so I have no idea who they are when they friend me.
    Ditto with the tricky sitch with real names.
    Ditto with the tricky sitch with real names.
    I have this strange feeling I didn't cause either of you any significant trouble. Then again, practically everyone knows my name around here anyway.
    I look at the mutual circled people. If they are pretty much all forum people, I auto-dump them into the FRC Forum bucket. I confess to not actually caring which person is which - if they post something interesting that makes me care, I'll figure it out then.
  • If I don't know who someone is, I assume they are a listener.
  • Yep, that was me.
    Ahh, so the fame is getting to your head then? Just remember ... you're only Internet famous. :P
    Ahh, so the fame is getting to your head then? Just remember ... you're only Internet famous. :P
    I'm not even Internet famous. I'm D level Internet famous.
  • So far Google+ seems to be a more public Facebook. Is there something I'm missing?

I think if they added public circles (groups) that could be useful.
  • News feed isn't as cluttered. That (and for me the people on it) is the only difference, but it's a big one.
  • It appears that Google Plus now has group pages, we can now create another vector of connection!
  • I created a page earlier from my phone and google kept forcing me into the mobile site even when I asked for the desktop site. Even then drop down boxes did not work properly on mobile devices.
  • the best feature for me is still the automatic photo uploading.
  • I already love the G+ group pages. You can easily switch between your personal profile and the group page.

I just need to figure out how to add other people as administrators for that page.

If anyone knows how to do this, please let me know. Thank you.
  • Looks like you can create shared circles now. Hey Scott, any chance for a GeekNights G+ page with a FRC shared circle?
  • Looks like you can create shared circles now. Hey Scott, any chance for a GeekNights G+ page with a FRC shared circle?
    We'll have a GeekNights G+ page.
  • How do you easily get to your pages?
  • edited November 2011
    How do you easily get to your pages?
    If you are the administrator of your page you can easily use the drop down menu on the main page of G+ to switch profiles.

Edit: If you're referring about how get there from the mobile version of the group pages, I have yet to figure that out.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I find it interesting that google is using numbers rather than words for pages. On the one hand you don't need to worry about someone grabbing a common business name (A1 Auto) in the other you may have a hard time finding the A1 Auto you are looking for.
  • I find it interesting that google is using numbers rather than words for pages. On the one hand you don't need to worry about someone grabbing a common business name (A1 Auto) in the other you may have a hard time finding the A1 Auto you are looking for.
    If you are searching by trying to guess the URL instead of using the search box, you are doing it wrong. It's fucking Google. Use the search box. Then see some relevant ads next to the results!