This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pax East 2013

Comments

• Me too, guys!
  • I'm going to need all of your email addresses in order for me to add you.
  • I'm going to need all of your email addresses in order for me to add you.
    Isn't that what the Facebook Connect is for?
  • Mine is my username at hotmail for all things.
  • I like how Yoshokatana just added me without me needing to do anything.
    I do it because I care. <3
  • GroupMe installed and Facebook Connected.
  • FB isn't connecting for me (last time I checked). I don't want it to. The fewer things connected to my Facebook account, the more effort you have to put in to finding all the things of me on the internet. I know that anyone can see anything I post anywhere, but I want to make them have to try.
  • FB isn't connecting for me (last time I checked). I don't want it to. The fewer things connected to my Facebook account, the more effort you have to put in to finding all the things of me on the internet. I know that anyone can see anything I post anywhere, but I want to make them have to try.
    Google Knowledge Graph and its associated algorithmic research technologies are going to render this idea very silly within a year or two.
  • Does GroupMe still drain battery life like no other?
  • I'm down for the GroupMe.
  • Does GroupMe still drain battery life like no other?
    Only if you don't use a Windows phone.
  • edited March 2013
    Schedule thoughts:

- Blizzard's big reveal going directly up against Storytime with Cliffy B
    - Tabletop is no longer treated like a second-class group of panels. All up in the schedule and everything.
    - Seem to be more tabeltop content in general, with several TT panels spilling over from TT theater into Sphinx theater.
    - I'm not particularly interested in the vast majority, but this schedule reads as a really well-rounded panel list. I'm thinking more well-rounded than in the past.

They're got just the right of workshops (cosplay, gaming terrain) and panels that are actually group games or at least very interactive (Parsely games, live Vincent Baker RPG, Family Feud, Nintendo Jeopardy, Retro Game Roadshow). Serve as good complements to the lectures, live podcasts, and company Q&As.
    Post edited by Matt on
    So does that mean you both want in?

• I'm looking at...

Friday: The keynote, the Q&A, Luke & Jared on RPGs are Awesome
    Saturday: Rym & Scott on Mastering Game Mechanics, Saturday night concerts
    Sunday: The final round of the Omegathon

I might check out the audience participation Murderous Ghosts, but all the other indie RPG panels are repeats (or virtual repeats) of ones I've seen already. More time for the tabletop room / arcade freeplay, then.
  • If anyone finds out what Nintendo is showing at their booth in the Expo Hall and if happens to be Animal Crossing: New Leaf, please let me know.

There are some pretty interesting panels. I saw one with crafting, cosplay, and there is also the Kickstarter panel with Freddie Wong.

I will more than likely say that I may go to these panels, but probably just end up playing TT games.
  • My only worry on the TT theater is that if it's the same room as last year, it only seats like 60 people. We usually have hundreds show up for our panels, so...

• Saturday: Rym & Scott on Mastering Game Mechanics, Saturday night concerts
    We're also doing "Practical Game Theory" in the same room. ;^)
  • The map of the convention center maybe in the Enforcer forums. You might be able to find out if it's the same room.
  • We're also doing "Practical Game Theory" in the same room. ;^)
    I'll play your game, you rogue. I'm guessing they'll clear out the room between panels, but since the line will be right there...
  • First glance, I could recognize most James Portnow panels by pretentious titles. I like the guy, but it's almost funny-sad.
  • First glance, I could recognize most James Portnow panels by pretentious titles. I like the guy, but it's almost funny-sad.
    He was awesome on our Video Game Genres panel at MAGFest. I'm trying to lure him into a smaller, more intimate panel.

• You should make sure the panel title is something like "Gaming Intellectuals" then. :P
  • Heh...

To be clear, though, "Gaming Intellectuals" was not something any of us had anything to do with. The convention itself appends that moniker. ;^)
  • I realize. I'm just pointing out a seeming pattern.
  • edited March 2013
    Nerdcore Hiphop up against PA Q&A? No fair. [pouting]
    Post edited by jtvh on
  • Nerdcore Hiphop up against PA Q&A? No fair. [pouting]
    That is a tough choice, I've been to the Nerdcore Q&A and they also go into the history of the scene (which is awesome to see).
  • Combine the two. All questions and answers must be given in rap form.
  • And geez, "Everything You’ve Heard About Patent Law is Wrong" (which I totally want to see due to B school reasons) is up against my spouse's panel "A Random History of Dice" (which I totally want to see due to marital reasons). Curse you PAX, do you think I have a Timeturner or something?

Actually despite my complaints I am mostly just excited that the schedule is up. And itching for the moment it comes out in Guidebook so I can start adding events to my personal schedule. Of course then I end up ignoring at least half the things I've scheduled myself for, because tabletop.