This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• Whiz is disgusting, and american is lame and bland.
  • Rym said:

A cheese steak is better with Monterey Jack or Swiss.

I thought a genuine Philly cheese steak was made with Cheez Whiz.
    It can be American or Whiz, and Rym is wrong.
    That is a secret on how to tell if the cheese steak place is legit, ask what brand of Whiz they use. If Kraft then it is a good sign.
  • I'm not a fan of Whiz, American is just fine on a cheese steak. However when given a choice I put Pepper jack on it because I pretty much put the hot alternative on anything ^_^
  • I guess that's the difference between a cheese steak and a Philly cheese steak. American, Jack, Swiss, etc., is okay on a cheese steak, but not a Philly cheese steak.

It's almost like comparing sparkling white wine to champagne. There may be excellent sparkling white wines out there, some that may be superior to champagne to some, but they still aren't champagne.
  • Cremlian said:

I'm not a fan of Whiz, American is just fine on a cheese steak. However when given a choice I put Pepper jack on it because I pretty much put the hot alternative on anything ^_^

This.
  • edited February 2014
    Axel said:

The guy who led up the studio that made Bioshock (Irrational games) basically cut a deal with the publisher that owns them (2k) to lay off all but a few workers in exchange for the Bioshock profits being used as leverage to let him and his small team make a game they want without having to crowdsource it. 2K is just gonna make Bioshock games some other way without all the people who just got laid off.

What the literal fuck.

If the creator wants to leave a franchise and do their own thing, it means two things: the franchise is already dead inside even if the creator is forced to stay. I also means that the person who made an awesome thing you like, is going to go and make something potentially better and more importantly, new. (Or they go and make garbage or something totally different, but really that's their prerogative.)

As for the franchise itself under new leadership, it may well be reborn and even do well or surpass the original, as examples in the past have shown.

Usually when the creator leaves a success for something new it bears healthy fruit and means the original idea has or soon will surpass its purpose and charter. Bungie left the Halo world (and some of its creators granted) behind when they went in search of new territory. The result of post-Bungie Halo games is questionable in the direction it took, but the fact that Bungie's new shit looks hot is no surprise.

Post edited by SWATrous on
  • I don't have that much Bioshock investment. My issue is the dissolution and lay-off of large parts of the studio. They could've just stayed under some new management and made new games. Instead 2K is literally firing them all minus 15 or so and moving Biohsock to some other studio. Why fire so many talented developers? The series was making money hand over fist. So it's not a money issue.
    It's clear they're going to start milling out Bioshock with regular installments, which is not what that series needs. But at the end of the day, I just hate how even a successful studio still gets dissolved, and those people still lose their jobs. There will no longer be an Irrational games, and all those people will just have to move on and go on tough times for a little while. Sure, they have good portfolios, but there's only so many jobs.
  • Hate to break this to you Axel, almost all major video game companies do this. When a project ends they axe nearly everyone and rehire some when the next project starts but usually hire new people.
  • Rym said:

I've never found a situation where American cheese could be used, but cheddar would not be a better cheese.

Deli sliced American is superior to cheddar in a steak and cheese if only for melt consistency, but I usually use both.

• Cremlian said:

Hate to break this to you Axel, almost all major video game companies do this. When a project ends they axe nearly everyone and rehire some when the next project starts but usually hire new people.

I wouldn't say most. It certainly happens often.

And usually we see it with less successful franchises. And the studio itself also isn't shut down. This is an instance of the studio disappearing and the staff being let go, AND it's attached to a successful game project. You don't usually get all of those things combined.

And it's still frustrating, every time it happens.
  • edited February 2014

Jarslberg is the only "swiss" that's worth a damn.

You eat bananas wrapped in Shitty American Singles. YOUR OPINION IS INVALID.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • Axel said:

2K IS EVIL AND BAD AND AWFUL AND ARGH!

I'm curious as to where you're getting all this information from. Out of the 15 or so articles I scanned about this, 0 of them said anything about 2K being the instigator, yet 15 of them all said the same thing: Ken Levine is closing the studio. If I had to guess I would say that 2K didn't want this to happen at all because as you say, Bioshock has been extremely lucrative for them. 2K closing Irrational would be equivalent to Activision closing down Infinity Ward. How the fuck does that make sense from a publisher perspective?

Personally, while I'm sad that the studio is no longer going to be making the great games it has been, the people aren't going to go anywhere. They're talented people and will have no trouble finding jobs elsewhere and continue to make great work.

Additionally, I think it's incredible that the studio lasted as long as it did. Video games developers are somewhat of an anomaly in the media creation business. Almost all other forms of media are created using some form of freelance (books, music, movies, art, etc.), yet video games are still developed in the same way other forms of technology are. As such, video game developers rise and fall just as much as tech companies do (which is a lot). And the people who work in the industry are well aware of that, so changing jobs is par for the course.
  • I say 2K is involved because when Levine wanted to close Irrational and crowdsource his smaller team's game, 2K offered to do fund his small team instead. It is also their final decision to lay off everyone, not Levine's. They own the company and could just put someone else in charge. Instead, those people are being laid off.
  • Axel said:

I say 2K is involved because when Levine wanted to close Irrational and crowdsource his smaller team's game, 2K offered to do fund his small team instead. It is also their final decision to lay off everyone, not Levine's. They own the company and could just put someone else in charge. Instead, those people are being laid off.

Of course 2K has final say, but based on what you just said, that 2K chose to fund Levine's next project rather than just let him go, still tells me that they didn't really want to lose the talent they did. Until there is more information available (if there ever is any), I'm not going to accuse anyone of any evildoing. For all we know at this point, the employees knew about this months in advance and they decided they would rather close the studio than work under someone other than Levine. It's still early, but it would appear that the only people surprised at this development is the news media.
  • edited February 2014
    Daikun said:
    Well, I was planning on leaving Dropbox anyway since I use Skydrive more and it just integrates better with Windows.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Arbitration clauses are basically standard for most things these days. Dropbox isn't doing anything that many other services you already use probably did a long time ago.

Not saying it's great, but the fact that they waited until NOW is amazing.
  • Um, arbitration is crazy cheaper than court, you guys. It's not like any of you could have afforded to sue Dropbox anyway.
  • Dromaro said:
    What? You are against lowering costs to taxpayers and recidivism rates? You would prefer that we keep paying lots of money to keep people in prison and don't rehabilitate them or prepare them for life when they get out, so that they can continue to offend and go back to prison?

• I am for lowering costs to taxpayers and recidivism rates. However, I'm also against people who have not broken the law and want a higher education to not get buried under massive debt. It's the idea of a felon getting for free something highly valuable that a Standard Issue Citizen(tm) has to pay quite dearly for.
  • edited February 2014
    It's not like they're going to be getting hundred-thousand dollar ivy league educations on the taxpayer dime. The program is supposed to reduce taxpayer total costs by reducing recidivism and thereby reducing future prison costs. If it's so great, then people will commit crimes to go to prison for the education. Somehow I don't see that happening.

Edit: Oh yeah, also: food, gym, tv, etc... they get those for "free" too.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • Only have £86 till next pay day, and im not sure when that is with my new job....fuck I hate being poor.
  • edited February 2014
    Dromaro said:

I am for lowering costs to taxpayers and recidivism rates. However, I'm also against people who have not broken the law and want a higher education to not get buried under massive debt. It's the idea of a felon getting for free something highly valuable that a Standard Issue Citizen(tm) has to pay quite dearly for.

If we just had summary executions the costs would be dramatically reduced and the recidivism would drop to zero.

This is a dumb argument.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • I've just agreed to share a durian with one of my Vietnamese students...
  • Ruffas said:

I've just agreed to share a durian with one of my Vietnamese students...

Why is that fail, they taste fine if you buy good quality.

• I just paid almost €10 for internet for the day in an airport. I'll be here for about 6 hours. My main plan was to watch and download YouTube videos and edit them for an ongoing video project.

If you saw this page for the paid wifi connection, you'd think YouTube would be a single click away:

But nope! YouTube is blocked!
    Sorry, but www.youtube.com is blocked on this network.

This site was categorized in: Video Sharing
    This is either my fail or Kubi Wireless's fail. I don't like it either way. It's Sunday, and the internet is dead on a Sunday.
  • sK0pe said:

Why is that fail, they taste fine if you buy good quality.

Because I don't know how fresh the durian in Orlando are going to be...
  • edited February 2014

I just paid almost €10 for internet for the day in an airport. I'll be here for about 6 hours. My main plan was to watch and download YouTube videos and edit them for an ongoing video project.

If you saw this page for the paid wifi connection, you'd think YouTube would be a single click away:

[big giant image]

But nope! YouTube is blocked!

Sorry, but www.youtube.com is blocked on this network.

This site was categorized in: Video Sharing
    This is either my fail or Kubi Wireless's fail. I don't like it either way. It's Sunday, and the internet is dead on a Sunday.

I'd click on "Frequently Asked Questions" to see if the first one on the list was "What the fuck is up with the bait and switch on your payment page?"
    Post edited by muppet on
  • And in my most recent dream, someone from here was dead. >_<