This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Overwatch

Comments

• MATATAT said:

I can't tell if you're saying leave the low skill friend for quick play or playing the "easy" character. Because if they're low skill and want to participate you don't want them playing a hard character.

I mean, if you're going to play competitive as a team, don't invite someone who isn't going to be able to pull their weight. If my team loses, I don't want it to be because we were essentially 5v6.
  • You can stop talking about me No Fun girl :-p
  • Don't play competitively if you're not going to play competitively ;)
  • I hope they keep Lucioball as a play mode after the Olympics are over. Shits fun.
  • Cremlian said:

You can stop talking about me No Fun girl :-p

HA! but that's no fun.
  • Cremlian said:

You can stop talking about me No Fun girl :-p

HA! but that's no fun.
    <_<

• Forget all non-Logitech gaming mice. The boutique ones have some nice features, but not nice enough to bother, and the newer Logitech mice just seem a million times more durable.
  • Rym said:

Forget all non-Logitech gaming mice. The boutique ones have some nice features, but not nice enough to bother, and the newer Logitech mice just seem a million times more durable.

Yep. I've had my g300 for years. Just bought one for Phil after his 3rd fancy mouse died.
  • I feel like fancy boutique mice are like AMD chips. They pushed forward with new features and targeted gamers with specialized needs at a low price. But Logitech won out in the end by having superior R&D, superior manufacturing channels/expertise, and more capacity to play a long game.

All these boutique mice had physical design problems or otherwise failed mechanically, and the software for the crazy advanced things they could do was annoying enough such that most people probably don't bother.
  • I think the Deathadder is still a very solid choice.
  • RymRym
    edited August 2016
    MATATAT said:

I think the Deathadder is still a very solid choice.

My problems with it after extensive use:

1. The thumb buttons are too far forward, not sensitive enough
    2. No thumb shelf (must-have now that they're common)
    3. Wheel is too light, easily broken
    4. No built-in sniper button

Post edited by Rym on
  • What the hell is a sniper button?

I'd argue against the thumb shelf and wheel. The wheel especially on Logitech mice. Cheaper Logitech mice are okay with scroll wheels. The high end ones are way too floaty for my taste.

Thumb button is perfect for my hand on the Deathadder. I have long thumbs though so having it more forward helps me not have to keep it bent all the time.

They also last a long ass time. I've had other mice go out on me in 2-3 years. I had the pax branded one from 08 up until a year or two ago when the click stopped being reliable. Still clicks. But no good for gaming anymore.
  • MATATAT said:

What the hell is a sniper button?

I have three pre-programmed sensitivities I can cycle through with two buttons to the left of my left-click. Super fast, normal, and super slow.

I can hold the sniper button to drop down to the super slow setting, and it returns to my previous setting when I let go. Perfect for sniping without losing my general play sensitivity on the fly.

The shelf is necessary for me: I don't move my wrist or arm much when I play: it's all controlled by my thumb and pinkie finger
  • Ah yeah. I was thinking that was what you meant after I thought for a second. I have variable sensitivity on my work mouse but I just keep it at the highest one and just got better at being more accurate.

The cool thing about Overwatch that admittedly I haven't seen in other games is you can set sniping sensitivity for Ana and Widow. So I set those to about 1/2 of what their regular sensitivity is. That works really well.

The shelf I've tried before with other mice and I just didn't care for it. Maybe if I used it more I might appreciate it but it was initially just very off-putting.
  • I've gradually lowered my Pharah sensitivity. Got called an aimbot a couple times now. I'm not even good. I'm also trash with hitscan.
  • Not specific to Overwatch but Logitech mice are indeed the one and true kings.

Related to Overwatch, I'm still terrible terrible noobsauce.
  • I've been switching up more played characters a bit. Dialed down the D.Va and Zarya (although I still go to them a lot) and started playing more Junkrat and Tracer. I've been getting a lot of PotG as Junkrat and have been doing pretty solidly with Tracer, learning more about the opportunities to use her skills and the positioning involved. I still try to play Genji a lot, but he's sort of falling more into the same category of play as Zarya. That is to say they are much more effective on offense than they are on defense. D.Va still straddles the line of being good in both scenarios.
  • SWATrous said:

Related to Overwatch, I'm still terrible terrible noobsauce.

Dude, you are never on when I'm on. Ping me when you are playing & I will show you my secret practice domain.
  • MATATAT said:

What the hell is a sniper button?

I'd argue against the thumb shelf and wheel. The wheel especially on Logitech mice. Cheaper Logitech mice are okay with scroll wheels. The high end ones are way too floaty for my taste.

Thumb button is perfect for my hand on the Deathadder. I have long thumbs though so having it more forward helps me not have to keep it bent all the time.

They also last a long ass time. I've had other mice go out on me in 2-3 years. I had the pax branded one from 08 up until a year or two ago when the click stopped being reliable. Still clicks. But no good for gaming anymore.

I agree with all of this.

I do like the thumb shelf on Logitech mice but I hate the Logitech scroll and general shape.
    The Deathadder makes up for the lack of a thumb shelf with a textured face to which my thumb tracks below the two side buttons.

Also don't need a sniper button as this is handled in software in both Counterstrike and Overwatch, gimmick button that is useless, you click it accidentally in a tense situation and mess up (well at least while you're trying to use it).

Also don't need more than 5 buttons on a mouse. Honestly would prefer moving to a Corsair mouse before moving to Logitech just for shape and buttons.
  • That's hilarious.
  • Here's a reddit thread with a handful of useful tips. In short, communicate lots! Had one beautiful solo queue comp game last night where the team communicated a lot - I was Zen calling targets, the Rein kept the team up on his shield status, we kept an eye out for Reaping, and so we won decently.

Extra tips to go with the article:
    1) Save ults! If you're team's started going down, you're probably not going to save a teamfight with one ult, especially because you go down fast when the whole other team is looking at you. If you're a Zen, that Transcendence is at its most useful when you're canceling out a reaper or Genji ult, not just when you're initiating a fight.
    2) Take high grounds! I think we've all been underestimating how valuable fighting from the high ground is - it makes it a lot harder for most heroes to fight into you, which means you get flankers running in 1v6 while the Reinhardt is stuck looking up at you until you engage.

In Overwatch storytime, the comp group I played with had a disastrous Route 66 game where we got held outside spawn, but followed it up with a Volskaya game against the same team where we did two sub-2-minute pushes in a row and absolutely wrecked them. Games are weird sometimes.
  • I try to communicate a bit even though I never use a mic. I'll try and scramble out a quick message if I get killed in the back like "reaper behind" or something. I dunno if it helps but it seems to.
  • Communicating is key to winning constantly. Though sometimes you just want to silently kill things :-p
  • I think the forum group's had kinda two problems in comp matches:
    1) Our positioning's not that good - we're attacking from low ground a lot, and from spots where we can't cover all the angles where flankers want to come at our supports from.
    2) The DPS followup when the tanks engage isn't fast and decisive enough - call and focus individual targets more, and take down supports and dangerous DPS (i.e. Reaper) before the tanks.
  • Yesterday was some choice overwatchin' though.
  • Reaper theme song

I HAVE NO REGRETS